Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Cincinnati suspends 4 for fight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Cincinnati will suspend Yancy Gates, Octavius Ellis, and Cheikh Mbodj for 6 games and suspend Ge'Lawn Guyn for 1 game following the fight that occured at the end of yesterday's Crosstown Shootout against Xavier. Their suspensions will start with their next game against Wright State. Guyn will be back for their game against Radford and the rest will be back after the game against Pitt on Jan. 1st. The Big East will not add any further punishment and it's expected that the NCAA will not as well, but it's not out of the question.

Xavier will have a press conference in an hour. Xavier's only official game rejection was Dez Wells. It's expected that Holloway and Lyons will serve at least a 1 game suspension and Wells will most likely serve multiple games. Xavier's next 3 games are Oral Roberts, Long Beach State, and Gonzaga
Wow...thats all I can say
I lost the respect I had built up for Cronin today. These suspensions are WAY too light.
This is lighter than I thought it would be.
Definitely not what I expected either.

I thought Gates deserved 10 games. That's a freaking message and one that I feel either the NCAA or the Big East will give!

I thought Mbodj should have been suspended for the year (kicking a man when he's down is more egregious to me than Yancy's two punches)

Ellis, I OK with his 6. He was a powder keg and was all over the place. He never landed a punch that I saw, none-the-less, not as bad as Gates.

There were others who could have gotten games. I'm OK with Guyn not getting suspended, but his lesson - WALK AWAY! So, how do you get that message to him???? Sit him one!
Suspensions are far too light. Can't be allowed to do something of this magnitude and not be punished severely.
Xavier suspends 4 players as well for their roles in the fight. Dez Wells and Landen Amos were suspended 4 games, Mark Lyons is suspended 2 games, and Tu Holloway is suspended one game.

Also UC coach Mick Cronin said that his players that were involved will have to earn their way back on to the team. As far as he and the coaching staff are concerned, the suspended players are OFF the team.

I think Xavier was extremely light in their punishments. Holloway admitted he started the fight and only serves one game. It's a shame that this fight occurred because it gives these student athletes a bad name despite all their academic and community accomplishments off the court.
Stardust Wrote:That's a freaking message and one that I feel either the NCAA or the Big East will give!

There were others who could have gotten games. I'm OK with Guyn not getting suspended, but his lesson - WALK AWAY! So, how do you get that message to him???? Sit him one!

The Big East will not add on to UC's punishment, they announced that today. And Guyn is suspended 1 game.
I loved it dudes...great punch to the face. Just wish it was Yancy getting punched instead of that other dude.
I look at this fight in 2 perspectives, as a fan, there was no place for that fight and both teams deserved a heavier punishment.

But looking at it as a former college athlete. that fight shouldn't have happened, but I saw 2 teams full of kids that were experiencing a lot of emotions at the time, fighting for their teammates against guys that they play pick up ball with, are very close with, and talk smack with all year long. And it's hard for me to say that I wouldn't have jumped in their with them. Again that's the athlete that doesn't know any better in me. I don't condone the fight, but I understand it
vundy33 Wrote:I loved it dudes...great punch to the face. Just wish it was Yancy getting punched instead of that other dude.

You better watch it Vundy, thats not politically correct and according to the guy that chewed me out "you dont have a good sense of humor" :hilarious:

BTW, you are right, hell of a punch lol
"I really apologize for what took place," Holloway told reporters on Sunday.
"We're not thugs; we're not bad kids here at Xavier University. We're all going to get degrees and we're incredible young men so I really apologize for what took place yesterday," he said.
Suspensions did seem very light......my problem was their responses after the game, the players were pretty much like, "you get in my face and i will get in yours, that is how we do it" type of comment. Just came off as thugs to me.
Gates and Mbodj should not be allowed back on the court period.

Now Frease and Gates should go one on one pay per view. I'd pay to see that one and Gates doesn't get to start it with a cheap shot while Frease is not looking.
Weak.
Any chance NCAA steps in?
LWC Wrote:Any chance NCAA steps in?

doubtful because of how fast both schools acted, both conferences decided no further punishment was needed, and looking at the schools outside of this fight, both schools have maintained very clean programs for the past 3 years.

If the NCAA does anything, it might add another game to their suspensions or fine both schools a small penalty, unless the district attorney finds reasons to add charges to the players involved.
This is weak! Gates should have to burn his cincy uniform and loose his scholly... Expectations should be much higher from athletes like this...I think he should have gotten 6 games for throwing the ball at holloways head and then the rest of his career for reaching over the crowd do sucker punch the xavier guy!
Tu Holloway started it, and got one game? He threw the first punch!

I don't like either team, but I like Tu and hate Cincy and Yates. Hopefully Xavier forgets this and continues their awesomeness, and Cincy continues to suck.