Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Watch live Georgia high school state finals today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am a football freak and I am always watching games from all over.
If anyone is interested Georgia is showing their games live online today.

http://www.gpb.org/sports/football/matchups

Florida is showing theirs on fox college sports but I have not found any links yet.

I am watching the first Florida game on fox college sports right now, if they provide a link I will post it.
Is 5A the biggest schools?
Yes, as far as I know.
I have only been to one game in Georgia and that was two seasons ago.
Stardust Wrote:Is 5A the biggest schools?

Yep 5 classes. 5A is the biggest.

I just read on-line where the GHSA is adding a sixth class (6A) starting next year. Just got passed a couple days ago.
What a great game the first one from this state has been.

Buford 96-4 in their last 100 games is trailing Calhoun(who is 53-0 if you do not count the last few times they have played Buford)21-10 with a little over 2 min left.
Buford score 2 td's in .33 to force OT

What a great game.
Buford fumbles at the 7 Calhoun recovers and they bring in ther (Bama recruit)to kick the game winning field goal

27-24 Calhoun.

The next game is getting ready to start and then after this one fox college sports will show a live game from Calf. Yes, I am watching both.
NewarkCatholicFan, you think Trinity might meet their match with one of these teams? I know nothing about Georgia football but I get the instinct it is probably really, really good.
WideRight05 Wrote:NewarkCatholicFan, you think Trinity might meet their match with one of these teams? I know nothing about Georgia football but I get the instinct it is probably really, really good.

Grayson would give Trinity a helluva game if they met (Grayson is a Top 15 team in the Nation), but I honestly think this year Trinity would beat them.

Most years the top 5 or 6 Georgia teams would handle X and Trinity. In Gwinnett County alone there are about 5 or 6 teams who are historically on about the same level as Highlands if not better.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Grayson would give Trinity a helluva game if they met (Grayson is a Top 15 team in the Nation), but I honestly think this year Trinity would beat them.

Most years the top 5 or 6 Georgia teams would handle X and Trinity. In Gwinnett County alone there are about 5 or 6 teams who are historically on about the same level as Highlands if not better.

Wow, that's crazy!!! Winning a state title there must be a real dogfight. I had a feeling that place was loaded with talent.
WideRight05 Wrote:NewarkCatholicFan, you think Trinity might meet their match with one of these teams? I know nothing about Georgia football but I get the instinct it is probably really, really good.

I lived in the Atlanta metro for about 12 years and have watched a lot of Marietta, McCeachern, and Paulding Co. High School games. Most years I would say no Trinity could not compete with the top teams in Georgia. This year though I definitely think Trinity matches up well with these teams. They definitely wouldn't dominate in Georgia like they do in Kentucky, but I definitely think Trinity could play with all of these teams.
Nah, Trinity this year takes both of those teams by 2 maybe three scores. I.M.O.
WideRight05 Wrote:Wow, that's crazy!!! Winning a state title there must be a real dogfight. I had a feeling that place was loaded with talent.

Gwinnett is not the rule, it is more of an exception. The two large school districts are perhaps some of the most competitive regions in the country. Grayson, N Gwinnett, Peachtree Ridge, and Brookwood are commonly in the National Rankings..... Collins Hill, Parkview, and South Gwinnett are not as consistent but when they have an "up year" they are in the same coversation. On top of that, Buford (who lost tonight after being ranked in the Top 20 in the Nation) is perhaps one of the best small school programs in the Nation.

Even Wesleyan in 1A would be in the Top 10 or Top 15 in KY in most years.

The Atlanta public schools typically aren't that strong, but the Cobb County schools have several strong programs, and there are a handful of South Georgia schools (Valdosta, Lowndes, and Camden County) who are fixturs in the National Rankings. Add in the fact that former Hoover , AL head coach Rush Probst (from Two-a-Days fame) is turning Colquitt County into a top flight contender and the other smaller powerhouses and it is clear Georgia is a powerhouse state.

The irony of Georgia compared to KY is that Private Schools really aren't even a huge factor compared to the publics.

X and T would consistently be competitive (this year X would miss the playoffs and I think T would win the title), but I would be surprised to see them with more than a handful of Titles. Highlands would be in the same boat...I think they would win and compete at the State Level, but there would consistently be 6-8 teams in their class just as good if not better.
EKU, what do you think about the overall depth of the classes? Do you think a 6 class system would work better there than it does in KY?
The two teams playing right now in the 4A Final is Tucker and Lovejoy. Both are metro Atlanta programs.

Tucker is like a bigger/deeper Louisville Central. It is essentially a D-1 Factory typically turning out 2-4 major D-1 signees a year. This year's team has two guys going to Vandy.

Last year they had 5 D-1 guys who went to Stanford, UGA, Louisville, Auburn, and UAB.
WideRight05 Wrote:EKU, what do you think about the overall depth of the classes? Do you think a 6 class system would work better there than it does in KY?

Yes...
Kentucky has absolutely no business doing 6 Classes, they should be using 4.

Georgia is top heavy though. The bigger classes are extremely competitive and stocked full of teams who can beat anyone on any given night. The smaller divisions are typically dominated by a handful of powerhouse programs though.

Georgia has to have 6 classes due to the shear number of teams. Metro Atlanta is still growing as well. Since I have moved down here there have been 3 brand new 6A High Schools built in Gwinnett County alone with 1600-1800 students in each. Think about that for a second... how many schools in KY even have 1500 students? Let alone to see 3 built within 15 minutes of each other in the span of 4 years.
^ Good info EKU. The big classes must be a dogfight. In KY it's been a while since somebody besides T or X dominated the biggest class. Every now and then someone like Male or Scott County is competitive with them.
I am as big of EKY supporter as you will find but watching this game between two teams who really aren't even all that special makes me think of this:

If you take the 22 guys on the field at any given time there would be more speed and major D-1 talent then perhaps the Top 22 mountain players at their respective positions in the past 10 years.

There are probably 6-8 guys who run a legit 4.5 on the field at any time and probably 5-6 major D-1 level talents.
I think this Tucker team would be able to hang with any team their size I have watched this season.
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:I think this Tucker team would be able to hang with any team their size I have watched this season.

Trotwood Madison?
Yes,both have speed and both have godd, fast defenses and neither pass much.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I am as big of EKY supporter as you will find but watching this game between two teams who really aren't even all that special makes me think of this:

If you take the 22 guys on the field at any given time there would be more speed and major D-1 talent then perhaps the Top 22 mountain players at their respective positions in the past 10 years.

There are probably 6-8 guys who run a legit 4.5 on the field at any time and probably 5-6 major D-1 level talents.

How long have you lived in Gwinnett Co. EKUAlum? I ask because I was born in Cobb Co. and went to East Paulding schools when I was younger(my dad told me he wouldn't have made me play football there :biggrinSmile, wondering if maybe we saw some of the same teams though. You are absolutely right though, there are some good teams around Valdosta and Warner Robbins but the Cobb/Gwinnett/North Fulton area has some of the best talent in the country year in and year out.
Been down here 4 years now.

My GF taught at Grayson so they became my adopted program down here.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Been down here 4 years now.

My GF taught at Grayson so they became my adopted program down here.

That's cool, we would watch MCeachern, Marietta, Sandy Creek, and the Paulding Co. schools when I lived down there. I've been in Kentucky for about fifteen years now though. Marietta was just built I think right before we moved up.
Games start at 1pm on the provided link.
What to look out for today for those that follow along:

- In 1A Savannah Christian is like the Georgia doppelganger of Belfry. Savannah Christian has two D-1 prospects in Nardo Govan and Deangelo Brown.

- In 3A Peach County is the real deal and I always enjoy when their games are on TV. They don't produce a ton of D-1 players, but they are always very good and always hit very hard. They do have a Junior WR that Florida and Georgia have already offered. Just a fun team to watch.

- 6A is of course the headliner as there are no less than 10-12 major D1 prospects on the field. For local interest purpose, Walton has 2 UK commits in the Blalock twins, Zack and Daron. Zack has 11 INT's on the season and is fun to watch. The player you really want to watch, in addition, for Walton is RB Tyren Jones. The kid is a beast to stop and will be a D-1 prospect next year. Walton's QB already has an offer from Louisville.

Grayson is littered with D-1 prospects, none more noticable then 6'5 260 DL Robert Nkemdiche. He figures to be quite possibly a 5* recruit next season and possibly even the top Defensive Line prospect in the country. Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, and USC are a few names who desperately want him. RB Wayne Gallman is a Junior and already has offers from Auburn, Clemson, and Vandy.
Sav Christ. wins 20-3.

Defense was the name of the game.
Neither team really looked very good on offense and I.M.O. it was because of the defense.

I think both small schools champions in Oh and Ky would give both of these teams a game and most likely come out on top.
The big game is about to kickoff.

Grayson could very well give Trinity a run for the mythical title next year with the starpower of the recruits they will have. May be interesting to watch if for no other reason than that. Nkemdiche is a monster.
Grayson may very well be the best defensive team in the country. Jesus Christ!
Grayson was very, very good.