Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: East Ridge (Dress Code)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Should they have it?
Maybe for those who don't go to East Ridge, you should be more specific.

But my opinion, its stupid that you cant wear shorts in warm/hot weather, not even basketball shorts.

It's stupid you cant have holes in your Jeans.
And now we cant have Ipods/Cellphones at all.

Crazy...
At p-burg students are not allowed to have holes above the knees
Same with East Ridge, and thats stupid..
What purpose does an ipod or cell phone serve at East Ridge? Just wondering why its so stupid that you cant have those..It's not like you NEED them..
We arent allowed to use the phones hardly at east ridge, the ones in the classrooms that is.

Maybe someone needs to contact a parent immedietly, or vice versa.
Maybe for someone who has practice after school.

Maybe for those who want to listen to music on the bus ride to/from East Ridge.
Cameron Crazy Wrote:We arent allowed to use the phones hardly at east ridge, the ones in the classrooms that is.

Wouldn't the office let students use the phone in case of an emergency? I like to think so...

If you need your ipod that bad just keep it hidden...I'm sure they don't do random checks for them throughout the day..Smile
Cameron Crazy Wrote:We arent allowed to use the phones hardly at east ridge, the ones in the classrooms that is.

Quick question--how did kids in school manage before cell phones? (Especially if they needed to contact a parent immediately).

Keep in mind--a lot of things worked fine before cell phones and ipods. Life did exist--and surprisingly--things worked just fine.

There is NO reason that a kid needs an ipod or a cell phone at school. NO REASON! You are there to learn. You don't need a phone or an ipod to do that. If you need to use the phone--go to the office.

Dress codes are not a bad thing. Providing that it isn't so strict that it limits kids to no choices. But why do you need holes in your pants? Why shouldn't you wear shirts with a collar?

Kids in this country have no clue how much freedom that they have--and to be honest--most of you have entirely too much. It is better to learn a little bit about class and respectability NOW--as opposed to kids showing up for a job interview with a mohawk and a t-shirt (which happens at my employer--which is the largest financial institution in the world).
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:Quick question--how did kids in school manage before cell phones? (Especially if they needed to contact a parent immediately).

Keep in mind--a lot of things worked fine before cell phones and ipods. Life did exist--and surprisingly--things worked just fine.

There is NO reason that a kid needs an ipod or a cell phone at school. NO REASON! You are there to learn. You don't need a phone or an ipod to do that. If you need to use the phone--go to the office.

Dress codes are not a bad thing. Providing that it isn't so strict that it limits kids to no choices. But why do you need holes in your pants? Why shouldn't you wear shirts with a collar?

Kids in this country have no clue how much freedom that they have--and to be honest--most of you have entirely too much. It is better to learn a little bit about class and respectability NOW--as opposed to kids showing up for a job interview with a mohawk and a t-shirt (which happens at my employer--which is the largest financial institution in the world).

:theman: :thumb:
Are you saying there is something wrong with the way people look?

Equal opprotunity employment makes sure that no one is denied by the way the look.
Mowhawk or not.
Cameron Crazy Wrote:Are you saying there is something wrong with the way people look?

Equal opprotunity employment makes sure that no one is denied by the way the look.
Mowhawk or not.

Are you kidding me?

In a business environment---YES!

It is a financial institution WITH A DRESS CODE.

Anyone should know that you don't show up for an INTERVIEW with holes in your pants, a t-shirt and a mohawk. Businesses have the discretion to not hire a person who is gives the appearance that they will not represent their company in the right manner.

That must be a joke--because that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Heck, if I was going for an interview at a gas station (no offense there)--I would still wear a suit and a tie.

Are you saying that you wouldn't?
Cameron Crazy Wrote:Are you saying there is something wrong with the way people look?

Mowhawk or not.

Lets keep a couple things in mind--things like this don't necessarily fall under the "equal opportunity employment" guidelines.

Also--you may want to check into the "denied by the way they look" line. That line is specifically generated towards descrimination--racial, gender, etc.

And I will tell you this--the people who come into our company like that (again--the LARGEST financial institution in the WORLD) who do get hired never last (for a few simple reasons).
1. They don't meet the dress code
2. They lack the necessary work ethic to succeed in a business environment.

Now, the company I work for is as fearful as descrimination as any other company that I have ever heard of--but things like a school dress code get you ready for the "real world". And it is scary to think that our younger generation thinks that they should be able to dress however they want while carrying their cell phones and ipods into school.
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:Quick question--how did kids in school manage before cell phones? (Especially if they needed to contact a parent immediately).

There are plenty of reasons why cellphones should be allowed at school. Did you ever hear of a major event that happened years ago nicknamed the Columbine shootings? That is reason enough to allow students to have cellphones present on school grounds. If an emergency like that presented itself (which has happened numerous times since then, even in Kentucky) students should be able to call 911, family members, and loved ones. They should contact help immediately and wouldn't you want the chance to tell people that you loved them if you were afraid you were going to be killed? I would worry more about my family watching the situation on the news and worrying about me than the shooting actually going on. I would want the chance to let them know that I was okay and if something happened that I loved them very much. Besides that, you have never been to East Ridge. Every classroom has a phone but you can never get an outside line even during instructional time so if an emergency happened that involved the entire school then I am POSITIVE that everyone near a phone would be trying to call out. If a personal emergency happened and you needed medication or something else quickly then there is no way to contact a person or someone to bring your needs to you. East Ridge is a crazy place. We have had not one but TWO killers attend there already. TWO killers. Students that went out and took others' lives. We have had a school shooting threat. Security cameras do not provide much comfort because who will act in a situation that endangers everyone?

As far as mp3 or CD players go, I personally work better with music. Music takes away the background noise of others talking, rattling papers, and people not doing THEIR work when I am trying to finish my own. I have teachers that actually play music from their computers while we are doing assignments because it helps us. Students all have special needs, though it is kind of embarassing I have a problem with attention deficit disorder. I have a hard enough time being distracted from my work with music trying to cover everyone else, take that away and I will probably sit there all period and look around and listen to all that is going on.

Kids DO have an idea on how much freedom we are allowed. We know that our freedom of speech is on a tight leash, we are aware that our freedom of petition is influenced by authority figures, and that our freedom of religion is what our parents want for us, not what we pick for ourselves. I do support a dress code in school systems but when they keep taking the links out of your chain you can only stand so much.

The way a kid dresses is freedom of expression, which you are saying that America fully gives us. But how much freedom do we have when schools want to question visible piercings, when they discriminate against boys with mohawks and girls with skirts. East Ridge allows NO shorts. None. There was no below the knee rule for boys and the dollar bill or hand rule for girls. No shorts period. I personally don't even wear shorts yet I feel that my peers should be able to do so in a reasonable manner.

Do you know how hard it is to even find pants with no holes above the knee? Brand name companies purposely sell merchandise with holes already in them because it is a trend. You PAY for the holes. I agree that no one's butt or crotch should be shown but a hole half an inch above the knee is not hurting anything or anyone. Does the East Ridge administration not understand that viewing someone else's legs does not turn another student on so much that it should be banned? I see more cleavage a day than I do legs, and that my friend is sad. Let's ban shorts yet allow males to wear pants with their boxers fully visible and females' buttcracks to be shown.

Kids are kids. Some mature faster than others and I can see where adults out in the real world want them to be presented in a proper manner. There is absolutely nothing wrong with polo or collared shirts and khakis for men and dress shirts and skirts for women. It looks very professional and suitable for on the job attire YET school is not a job. We are there SEVEN hours a day. I spend more time at school than I do awake after I come home. We need to be comfortable in what we are wearing. Ties and high heels can come later when we go for job interviews and work 5 and 6 days a week.

I agree with one point that you have made. There are kids that have entirely too much freedom, they get to run with whomever, stay out however late, and engage in any activity that they want BUT that is their parents fault. I have extremely limited freedom with no driver's license, not being allowed to ride with my friends, and what do you think my curfew is like having to ride with a friend's parents to meet my parents out somewhere to be picked up? I by no means wear clothing that is not appropriate. I have more self respect and I'm not comfortable enough with my body to flaunt it at all chances given. If I wanted to wear something questionable then my mother would be the first to stop me. It is so dumb that the school will not allow me to wear my favorite pair of jeans that have the knees busted out of them. They are comfortable pants, the most comfortable pair that I own, and they show my KNEECAPS! Kneecaps, how extremely sexy and controversial...

Yet another problem that I have with East Ridge is the no food or drink policy. I don't know if anyone has touched on that or not but WHY would students not be allowed to have food or pop in classrooms? It hurts nothing. If people pick their breakfast up at one of many spots on the way to school they have to eat it while driving which is so dangerous. They are not allowed to bring it in the school or sit in their own cars to finish it in the parking lot. If a student's sugar gets low then so be it, let them pass out because the warden won't allow drinks of any kind inside his prison.

This is probably the longest post that I have ever written but I deal with the school day in and day out. I know how the principal, teachers, and other faculity make nonrational decisions. I see how they stand in the halls and eye students down, checking their hands for food and cellphones and clothing to make sure no holes are where they are not allowed. It is like they TRY to get students in trouble. They get satisfaction by making them throw away that pop or call home because of their jeans.. Let kids be. Kids are just that, kids. At 18 years old I AM A KID. I have made bad choices but my clothing, my music, my cellphone, and my food or drink should be allowed as long as I do so in a suitable manner.

KHB, this post wasn't directed towards you and to make you mad. I was going to post on this thread anyway and I wanted to clarify some stuff that you talked about with facts that know and voice my opinion in doing so.
I'm not a big fan of the dress code. As long as kid's aren't doing anything too extremist that it's hampering the learning environment, I see no need for a dress code, and those situations are far and few between and should be handled on a student by student basis if they're that much of a disruption.

As for cell phones, I'm all for them. Many students have activities after school and have to be picked up at different times on a daily basis. It's very useful in that situation rather than having 30+ kids waiting to use the same phone. Also, when I was in highschool at Ashland, we had numerous bomb threats. It was a normal occurance that you could almost predict. There were times that we were kept as late as 4:30 in class to make up lost time and keep attendence when school normally released at 3:25. When there is a bomb threat, you should be able to immediately contact your family, and if they see fit, be removed by the parent from the situation. They should also be aware that they don't need to be there to pick you up for another hour later than normal. The only time I don't think a cell phone should be used is during actual instructional time. If you want to use your phone during lunch or inbetween classes, I don't see much of a problem with it. Especially since most teachers take atleast 5 minutes to actually start class while they take attendence and get their supplies ready.

As for music players, it should be up to the school. They have their benefits (as does almost anything), but their negatives usually outweigh those positives, especially by kids. And music players are much harder to catch in class by a teacher than a student not paying attention by talking on a cell phone.
I for one know how much freedom I have. Also, I am wholehearted thankful for the amount of freedom that I have. The dresscode and all these rules doesn't really have an effect me, though.

The no drinks in class rule: I have a signed note from my pediatrician saying that I can have drinks. I can have drinks anytime I want to in school, but I don't abuse this. I've used this once in the last month. I don't see what the big deal with wanting to drink in class is, I'd think it'd just make me need to go to the bathroom more often; which is another thing they won't let you do at East Ridge. Luckily, I have a note for that too. I do agree that it would be refreshing to be able to have something to drink, but these people act like they'd do it every day every period if they could.

The no phones/iPod rule: I'll take my phone with me because I want to, it's more convenient for me and it hurts absolutely no one. I don't sit and talk on it all day, I don't disrupt class with it. It's always on but it doesn't ring. It's in my pocket and it's on vibrate. I'll use it if I ever have an emergency, if I need to call my parents to inform them I'm going home with a friend, or that if I need a ride home from school. The front office will let you use their phone sometimes. The problem is, they will quarrel at you for a good while about how you aren't supposed to do it, even if it is about your medicine or something else important. Teachers for the most part will let you use their in-class phones to call home, which is mighty handy if you can get a line outside. I don't have to worry about that with my cell phone, and all these reasons are why I take it.

"KHB5321" Wrote:Quick question--how did kids in school manage before cell phones? (Especially if they needed to contact a parent immediately).
-I see your argument as kind of a moot point. This isn't "a time before cell phones". Technology is invented to basicly make things easier, more simple and more convenient because mankind as a whole is lazy and they be stupid. Cell phones were made to be used anywhere, and by anyone that needed them and designed to be fairly cheap and available to anyone, for quick communication. That's a cell phone's purpose in a nutshell. Why deny us the use of it if it's not hurting anyone else?

Anyway:
Maybe it's because the principals and staff that enforce these rules like me; but I don't really care whether I am allowed to or not, if I feel that I need to I'll do it. I go to school, I do my learning, and I pay my dues. I think I've earned a bit of slack.

BallaBaby

Good posts Tribe and Reiz
thetribe Wrote:There are plenty of reasons why cellphones should be allowed at school. Did you ever hear of a major event that happened years ago nicknamed the Columbine shootings? That is reason enough to allow students to have cellphones present on school grounds. If an emergency like that presented itself (which has happened numerous times since then, even in Kentucky) students should be able to call 911, family members, and loved ones. They should contact help immediately and wouldn't you want the chance to tell people that you loved them if you were afraid you were going to be killed? I would worry more about my family watching the situation on the news and worrying about me than the shooting actually going on. I would want the chance to let them know that I was okay and if something happened that I loved them very much. Besides that, you have never been to East Ridge. Every classroom has a phone but you can never get an outside line even during instructional time so if an emergency happened that involved the entire school then I am POSITIVE that everyone near a phone would be trying to call out. If a personal emergency happened and you needed medication or something else quickly then there is no way to contact a person or someone to bring your needs to you. East Ridge is a crazy place. We have had not one but TWO killers attend there already. TWO killers. Students that went out and took others' lives. We have had a school shooting threat. Security cameras do not provide much comfort because who will act in a situation that endangers everyone?

As far as mp3 or CD players go, I personally work better with music. Music takes away the background noise of others talking, rattling papers, and people not doing THEIR work when I am trying to finish my own. I have teachers that actually play music from their computers while we are doing assignments because it helps us. Students all have special needs, though it is kind of embarassing I have a problem with attention deficit disorder. I have a hard enough time being distracted from my work with music trying to cover everyone else, take that away and I will probably sit there all period and look around and listen to all that is going on.

Kids DO have an idea on how much freedom we are allowed. We know that our freedom of speech is on a tight leash, we are aware that our freedom of petition is influenced by authority figures, and that our freedom of religion is what our parents want for us, not what we pick for ourselves. I do support a dress code in school systems but when they keep taking the links out of your chain you can only stand so much.

The way a kid dresses is freedom of expression, which you are saying that America fully gives us. But how much freedom do we have when schools want to question visible piercings, when they discriminate against boys with mohawks and girls with skirts. East Ridge allows NO shorts. None. There was no below the knee rule for boys and the dollar bill or hand rule for girls. No shorts period. I personally don't even wear shorts yet I feel that my peers should be able to do so in a reasonable manner.

Do you know how hard it is to even find pants with no holes above the knee? Brand name companies purposely sell merchandise with holes already in them because it is a trend. You PAY for the holes. I agree that no one's butt or crotch should be shown but a hole half an inch above the knee is not hurting anything or anyone. Does the East Ridge administration not understand that viewing someone else's legs does not turn another student on so much that it should be banned? I see more cleavage a day than I do legs, and that my friend is sad. Let's ban shorts yet allow males to wear pants with their boxers fully visible and females' buttcracks to be shown.

Kids are kids. Some mature faster than others and I can see where adults out in the real world want them to be presented in a proper manner. There is absolutely nothing wrong with polo or collared shirts and khakis for men and dress shirts and skirts for women. It looks very professional and suitable for on the job attire YET school is not a job. We are there SEVEN hours a day. I spend more time at school than I do awake after I come home. We need to be comfortable in what we are wearing. Ties and high heels can come later when we go for job interviews and work 5 and 6 days a week.

I agree with one point that you have made. There are kids that have entirely too much freedom, they get to run with whomever, stay out however late, and engage in any activity that they want BUT that is their parents fault. I have extremely limited freedom with no driver's license, not being allowed to ride with my friends, and what do you think my curfew is like having to ride with a friend's parents to meet my parents out somewhere to be picked up? I by no means wear clothing that is not appropriate. I have more self respect and I'm not comfortable enough with my body to flaunt it at all chances given. If I wanted to wear something questionable then my mother would be the first to stop me. It is so dumb that the school will not allow me to wear my favorite pair of jeans that have the knees busted out of them. They are comfortable pants, the most comfortable pair that I own, and they show my KNEECAPS! Kneecaps, how extremely sexy and controversial...

Yet another problem that I have with East Ridge is the no food or drink policy. I don't know if anyone has touched on that or not but WHY would students not be allowed to have food or pop in classrooms? It hurts nothing. If people pick their breakfast up at one of many spots on the way to school they have to eat it while driving which is so dangerous. They are not allowed to bring it in the school or sit in their own cars to finish it in the parking lot. If a student's sugar gets low then so be it, let them pass out because the warden won't allow drinks of any kind inside his prison.

This is probably the longest post that I have ever written but I deal with the school day in and day out. I know how the principal, teachers, and other faculity make nonrational decisions. I see how they stand in the halls and eye students down, checking their hands for food and cellphones and clothing to make sure no holes are where they are not allowed. It is like they TRY to get students in trouble. They get satisfaction by making them throw away that pop or call home because of their jeans.. Let kids be. Kids are just that, kids. At 18 years old I AM A KID. I have made bad choices but my clothing, my music, my cellphone, and my food or drink should be allowed as long as I do so in a suitable manner.

KHB, this post wasn't directed towards you and to make you mad. I was going to post on this thread anyway and I wanted to clarify some stuff that you talked about with facts that know and voice my opinion in doing so.

The first thing (and one of the few things that I am going to say) is that if more high school students could speak about a subject as intelligently as you--then there wouldn't be a reason to even consider a dress code.

I have read this about 15 times--and the more I read it--the more I am impressed.

I want to respond--but it is going to take me some time to digest this information in a manner in which it deserves (this is very SOLID--so I want to put some thought into it).

Either way--solid job. I wish more kids would display the intelligence that you have displayed here. Give me a day--and I will respond in the manner in which this deserves.
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:The first thing (and one of the few things that I am going to say) is that if more high school students could speak about a subject as intelligently as you--then there wouldn't be a reason to even consider a dress code.

I have read this about 15 times--and the more I read it--the more I am impressed.

I want to respond--but it is going to take me some time to digest this information in a manner in which it deserves (this is very SOLID--so I want to put some thought into it).

Either way--solid job. I wish more kids would display the intelligence that you have displayed here. Give me a day--and I will respond in the manner in which this deserves.

Thanks KYHB. I have been searching for a topic that more people would make longer post and get into deeper discussion with. Perhaps you are the guy for that. I respect your opinion and you respect mine and your praise for my post really flatters me. I try to present my side of the arguement in a mature and legitimate way and I think that I accomplished that and it has been recognized. Can't wait to read your post and if needed I will defend my position more, let the FRIENDLY debate begin. Smile

WOAH WOAH WOAH!!!! :omg: You mean to tell me that there was actually a time like this?!?!?! I don't believe it, not for one second. How old do you have to be?

Smile But actually there have been some good posts on this so far. I wish that I had the time to make a full response. btw KYHB, did you just let a girl leave you speechless :lmao:
Beef I thank that the Tribe has left him speechless, but anyways very very nice post tribe, and its like beef said there have been a few on here.
Beef Wrote:WOAH WOAH WOAH!!!! :omg: You mean to tell me that there was actually a time like this?!?!?! I don't believe it, not for one second. How old do you have to be?

Smile But actually there have been some good posts on this so far. I wish that I had the time to make a full response. btw KYHB, did you just let a girl leave you speechless :lmao:

Honestly--yes!

But--my wife does it at times as well (good and bad).

I am still working on this one. It is hard to come back when someone believes enough in what they are doing . . . . .
I was wondering the same thing Beef
i was shocked lol
thetribe Wrote:There are plenty of reasons why cellphones should be allowed at school. Did you ever hear of a major event that happened years ago nicknamed the Columbine shootings? That is reason enough to allow students to have cellphones present on school grounds. If an emergency like that presented itself (which has happened numerous times since then, even in Kentucky) students should be able to call 911, family members, and loved ones. They should contact help immediately and wouldn't you want the chance to tell people that you loved them if you were afraid you were going to be killed? I would worry more about my family watching the situation on the news and worrying about me than the shooting actually going on. I would want the chance to let them know that I was okay and if something happened that I loved them very much. Besides that, you have never been to East Ridge. Every classroom has a phone but you can never get an outside line even during instructional time so if an emergency happened that involved the entire school then I am POSITIVE that everyone near a phone would be trying to call out. If a personal emergency happened and you needed medication or something else quickly then there is no way to contact a person or someone to bring your needs to you. East Ridge is a crazy place. We have had not one but TWO killers attend there already. TWO killers. Students that went out and took others' lives. We have had a school shooting threat. Security cameras do not provide much comfort because who will act in a situation that endangers everyone?

i agree with everything said here.... i see tribe everyday with her cellphone, usually speaking on it. as for shorts, i am a big guy, and in warmer weather, pants are somewhat uncomfortable. it is good to wear shorts, and get a bit of a breeze going....

as for an iPod, what is the big deal? it is just a piece of plastic and metal that plays music. What can you do with an iPod besides listen to music, watch videos or look at pictures? if it is not endangering the lives of anyone around you, what is the big deal?

And the "Open Container" law is ridiculous. i drive to school, and i usually stop at Cardinal Mart to get something to eat or drink in the mornings. Due to the D I C K HEADS there, i have to eat my food while i drive. and i cant open my can of RockstarEnergy and carry it in, so i just hide it and open it in first period.

The way i see it, if it is not endangering your life, then allow it. but the day someone gets bludgeoned with an iPod Video and strangled in the Holes of someones pants while they drink a Pepsi in the hallway, then we have a problem.

I hate that school with every fiber of my being.