Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Home Schooling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've seen news reports that Home Schooling is more popular now than ever. One web site reported that thousands of parents are inquiring about home schooling.

What are your thoughts about Home Schooling?
I know of a couple and they are doing just fine. There are something that I would hate for the kids to miss out on, because you only go through school once.
yea, i thought about this option, but i would miss my friends, an its not like i work hard anyway lol
Some cases are needed to accept home schooling.
It's not a bad idea.
I don't have a problem with homeschooling in the least bit, but I just don't see it as strict (or good) of an education if it's not taken seriously. Also, I worry about some of these people being hermit-like and the problems they may face in the future with social interaction. I know a girl that graduated from home schooling in the past few months and she's just 15 years old.
Well I know it's the best option in some cases, speaking from personal experience. My youngest I kept home for a couple of years because she has ADHD and it helped her quite a bit until I felt she was ready for a school atmosphere. There were less distractions at home for her to deal with, but now that shes older shes learning how to deal with them on her own. So for us it was a positive thing. After she realized she had to go to public school to be on the school basketball team, it was more motivation for her to work toward getting ready for regular public school. Now she loves it!
Well the one I know its just like a regular school day. I think if they have a real good reason that its ok, but I dont agree with them letting them graduate early like that tomcat68.
Tomcat68 Wrote:I don't have a problem with homeschooling in the least bit, but I just don't see it as strict (or good) of an education if it's not taken seriously. Also, I worry about some of these people being hermit-like and the problems they may face in the future with social interaction. I know a girl that graduated from home schooling in the past few months and she's just 15 years old.

I agree T68 It may be ok if the parents take their education seriously and have the proper tools to work with. But how much will these kids miss out on during their childhood, interaction with other children, school functions etc.
I don't think that we have seen what home schooling leads up to in the development of a child yet. And I will tell you--when these kids get to be older--they are going to have a very hard time fitting into society, life, jobs, family, etc.

Kids need to go to school to be around other kids and deal with social situations (which is by far, the most underestimated part of going to school in the first place).

All of the home schooled kids that I have come across have extremely difficulties in social situations because they haven't been exposed to a large mass/group of personalities that they have to learn to work with. Not to mention what they miss out on during school (especially high school--which have more or less turned into to technical schools in some areas).

I don't like them--and it would take a very convincing argument to get me to think differntly.
We are thinking about home schooling. There are around 2-3 million children home schooled each year. Many parents choose to home school for various reasons. I am leaning more towards "unschooling" than anything. Right now we are doing home pre-k/K and our 5 yr does really well and truly enjoys it. He does well in a Kindergarten-1st curriculum already.

If we could find a good (everyone's definition of good is going to be different for this one) private, independent or montessori school then I would be more willing to allow him to attend school. Our choice will have a lot to do with where we decide to live after QQ finishes up with school. If we do decide to let our child attend a school then he will start at 6 instead of 5 for our own personal reasons.

I think home schooling is more than adequate and for some children MUCH better than public schools. It all depends on your parenting style, what you want for your children, and what your children want. I also believe in child led learning.

Home schooled children can have as much social interaction as regular school children. It all depends upon the parent and what they choose to do. Our child is already involved in city sports and depending upon the county (I think..not sure as I have not done any research on this so many some of you can tell me) in KY your child can participate in the school's extracurricular activities.
BlueGrassGirl Wrote:We are thinking about home schooling. There are around 2-3 million children home schooled each year. Many parents choose to home school for various reasons. I am leaning more towards "unschooling" than anything. Right now we are doing home pre-k/K and our 5 yr does really well and truly enjoys it. He does well in a Kindergarten-1st curriculum already.

If we could find a good (everyone's definition of good is going to be different for this one) private, independent or montessori school then I would be more willing to allow him to attend school. Our choice will have a lot to do with where we decide to live after QQ finishes up with school. If we do decide to let our child attend a school then he will start at 6 instead of 5 for our own personal reasons.

I think home schooling is more than adequate and for some children MUCH better than public schools. It all depends on your parenting style, what you want for your children, and what your children want. I also believe in child led learning.

Home schooled children can have as much social interaction as regular school children. It all depends upon the parent and what they choose to do. Our child is already involved in city sports and depending upon the county (I think..not sure as I have not done any research on this so many some of you can tell me) in KY your child can participate in the school's extracurricular activities.

Along the lines of a "friendly" debate. . . . .

Do you really think that a home schooled child gets the same type of social interaction opportunities as kids who go to any type of school (public or private)?

After readying your examples--I can have respect for that--but the situations during sports are significantly different than what they are going to experience walking down the hallways of a school (which I immediately agree--would/could be harmful in many different scenarios).

There are a couple different kids that I am thinking of who are EXTREMELY intelligent, yet for their age, they lack nearly all of the necessary social skills to suceed in the future. (And this comes from a good family--and a family that makes a strong effort to get their kids engaged in social activities on the same level as you have previously mentioned).

I immediately agree that it works for some kids--but overall--I think that this is something that will hurt them in the long run. Especially when it comes to finishing college and getting out in the "real" world.
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:Along the lines of a "friendly" debate. . . . .

Do you really think that a home schooled child gets the same type of social interaction opportunities as kids who go to any type of school (public or private)?

After readying your examples--I can have respect for that--but the situations during sports are significantly different than what they are going to experience walking down the hallways of a school (which I immediately agree--would/could be harmful in many different scenarios).

There are a couple different kids that I am thinking of who are EXTREMELY intelligent, yet for their age, they lack nearly all of the necessary social skills to suceed in the future. (And this comes from a good family--and a family that makes a strong effort to get their kids engaged in social activities on the same level as you have previously mentioned).

I immediately agree that it works for some kids--but overall--I think that this is something that will hurt them in the long run. Especially when it comes to finishing college and getting out in the "real" world.

Children that are homeschooled will not have the exact same type of social interaction opportunities as children that are in school which is good because I dont want my child to have those types of social interaction. For the most part, many of those types of social interaction are more negative than positive.
People always bring up the socialization issue when parents say that they are going to homeschool. Well, when you go to school you are told that this is not a place for socialization. It is a place to sit down, shut up and be forced to do work for about 6 hours per day. You can't talk to your neighbor and you can only speak to each other during breaks or lunch. If you are caught "socializing" then you get into trouble. My child will not be missing out on the socialization part.
Studies have been done that show homeschooled children have higher self-concepts, are more mature, and are better socialized than children in school. Like I said before, this will depend upon the parents more than anything. Our son just turned 5 last week and he has never been in daycare. He is a very social child, makes friends easily, plays sports, and interacts well with all types of people regardless of age.

Personally, homeschooling will suit our family best for the time being. If our children have a desire to attend school as they get older then we will let them choose whether they want to go to school or not. There are several reasons why we are choosing to homeschool. I will not list all of them here but here are a few 1.) There are problems in the school systems. 2.) There are too many unqualified teachers today and with our education and nontraditional beliefs, homeschooling will work much better for us.

Overall, I know I can provide my children with a much better education and head start on life with homeschooling. I don't like all of the limitations, force, and rules put upon children in school. Children learn much better and flourish in a child -directed environment. Children are born with a natural love for learning. School takes this away.
BlueGrassGirl Wrote:Children that are homeschooled will not have the exact same type of social interaction opportunities as children that are in school which is good because I dont want my child to have those types of social interaction. For the most part, many of those types of social interaction are more negative than positive.
People always bring up the socialization issue when parents say that they are going to homeschool. Well, when you go to school you are told that this is not a place for socialization. It is a place to sit down, shut up and be forced to do work for about 6 hours per day. You can't talk to your neighbor and you can only speak to each other during breaks or lunch. If you are caught "socializing" then you get into trouble. My child will not be missing out on the socialization part.
Studies have been done that show homeschooled children have higher self-concepts, are more mature, and are better socialized than children in school. Like I said before, this will depend upon the parents more than anything. Our son just turned 5 last week and he has never been in daycare. He is a very social child, makes friends easily, plays sports, and interacts well with all types of people regardless of age.

Personally, homeschooling will suit our family best for the time being. If our children have a desire to attend school as they get older then we will let them choose whether they want to go to school or not. There are several reasons why we are choosing to homeschool. I will not list all of them here but here are a few 1.) There are problems in the school systems. 2.) There are too many unqualified teachers today and with our education and nontraditional beliefs, homeschooling will work much better for us.

Overall, I know I can provide my children with a much better education and head start on life with homeschooling. I don't like all of the limitations, force, and rules put upon children in school. Children learn much better and flourish in a child -directed environment. Children are born with a natural love for learning. School takes this away.

Very Nice post BGG, you hit the nail on the head, the main one in my book is that we dont have the so called teacher any more, alot of class rooms its they give you an asignment ou do it and thats it, they ont take the time anymore to teach the subject.
CHECK OUT THIS LINK for info on home schooling.
im with kentuckyhillbilly on this one. Homeschooled kids do not have the same social oppurtunities and interactions as those that attend a high school. You can try all you want to get those things at home but its not going to happen. a homeschooled child will NEVER have the oppurtunity to become a prom king/queen. a homeschooled child will NEVER be able to hit the game winning shot against the cross town rival to win the championship. a homeschooled child will NEVER be able to put on a cheerleading uniform and show off their school spirit. a homeschooled child will NEVER be able to look back at their high school yearbook and remember all of the good times they shared with their best friends. there are just too many really good things that can come from high school that you just cannot expereince being homeschooled. you learn more then just what the books tell you, and it will help you in the long run.
corndog23 Wrote:a homeschooled child will NEVER be able to hit the game winning shot against the cross town rival to win the championship. a homeschooled child will NEVER be able to put on a cheerleading uniform and show off their school spirit.
I actually believe that they can play for their local school if they choose to do so. Do I agree with that part, not really but that's a different topic :golf:
Beef Wrote:I actually believe that they can play for their local school if they choose to do so. Do I agree with that part, not really but that's a different topic :golf:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a homeschooled child can still plays sports for their local school and I totally support that!
BlueGrassGirl Wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure a homeschooled child can still plays sports for their local school and I totally support that!

if they can then my mistake. but i have neither seen nor heard of anyone doing it. It may be allowed, but ive never seen it done.
BlueGrassGirl Wrote:Children that are homeschooled will not have the exact same type of social interaction opportunities as children that are in school which is good because I dont want my child to have those types of social interaction. For the most part, many of those types of social interaction are more negative than positive.

With you/QQ's situation, I could understand where you are coming from. And right away--I think (not that this matters at all)--but both of you are pretty solid with your communication--so I could see how it would be a great thing for you guys.

The one thing that still stands out is the "negative interaction" piece.

I will definitely say that I could have lived without that part--but when I think about where I really learned how to deal with people (people who are hard to get along with--especiall with my job) it was through those bad interactions. I definitely hated every minute of it--and would have liked to avoid it--but now--I know that I would have never had a chance if I wouldn't have learned those skills.

Now--I am not saying that those things can't be taught at other places and times--but it would be a little different.

I just think that a kid loses a lot. But--that doesn't mean that it isn't the right option for the right kids.

And--as of 2007--home schooled kids will NOT be permitted to participate in any athletic events that represent schools. I have the literature from a track and field rules meeting if any one wants to check it out.
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:I have the literature from a track and field rules meeting if any one wants to check it out.
I only want to see it if you only have the print version and would have to type it word for word for me Smile
Beef Wrote:I only want to see it if you only have the print version and would have to type it word for word for me Smile

I would like to see this as well... Does this rule apply to your school district or all school districts in KY or the entire United States? We don't know if we will be living in KY in the next few years. Either way, I know that rules will be different for different school districts and different states.
As I've said before, we would also still consider an independent or private school for our child if one was available and appropriate for him when the time comes but probably not until after 2nd or 3rd grade.
I personally would not want to be homeschooled nor homeschool my kids because although high school presents them with alot of temptations, it is better for them to be used to it and know how to deal with it outside of school walls. You can't keep an eye on your kids 24-7 and school gives them limited freedom and presents great social oppurtunities. Can you imagine how many friends you would lack if you hadn't went to school, missing ballgames, missing dances and proms, and just the whole high school experience? School in general is a major part of life, you go 7 hours a day 5 days a week..and you don't just learn academics, you learn LIFE lessons.
My cousins are home schooled and they are pure rotten! I think if they went to actual school that they would have been better off. I just dont see a reason to do it unless a person is too sick to go anywhere, You miss out on too much and learn differently than in a school. I just dont think it is smart.
Well I can speak from experience. I have been in the public school system for 13 years now counting kindergarten and I have also HAD to be home-schooled for 3 months because of my wreck and personally I didn't enjoy it. At first I loved it becuase I didn't have to get up at 6:30 everyday and put up with people I didn't want to but about a month into it I really started missing my friends. It's long-distance for me to call pretty much anyone from SF, I actually live in Betsy Layne's district. Home school has it's up's and down's, you have more time to invest into your studies as with public school you'd get sidetracked by ball games and you'd simply forget or leave stuff at school. I didn't like being on home-school but then again I went from on Friday going to SF and then come Tuesday (Monday I was still in the hospital) I was on home-school. I wouldn't reccomend someone taking their child out of public school to put them into home-school that is unless they are below grade 3 or 4 because they'd miss it, I know I sure did.