Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Prestonsburg 74 Paintsville 61 OT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final
Good win Blackcats !
Nice win Blackcats. Wish i could have been there for this one. Any stats canoeman06? Who was the starting 5?
Starters were
Williams
Cody Bentley
Corey Bentley
Jamerson
Jarrell

I do recall Jarrell finished with 18 points 7 assists and 5 rebounds
Corey Bentley had 7 blocks
thats off the top of my head but all the kids played well and contributed ...
Great TEAM effort
Congrats P'Burg!
I don't know what is going on in Paintsville. Good win for P-Burg...
Basketballjones23 Wrote:I don't know what is going on in Paintsville. Good win for P-Burg...
Me-itis, that's my guess.
More stats

Williams 10 pts
Cody Bentley 13 pts
Jamerson 12 pts
Anderson 5 pts
Robinson 4 pts
Corey Bentley 6 pts
Stapleton 6 pts

Tiller led Paintsville with 25
Suprised by this one, good road win for the blackcats
Basketballjones23 Wrote:I don't know what is going on in Paintsville. Good win for P-Burg...

Couple of things are wrong here. We have a coach with the most 15th region basketball titles than another other coach ever in the 15th region but for some reason he is the football coach. Tiller is good but has no supporting cast. The coach needs to focus more on other inside guys than his nephew. He missed 2 uncontested layups and had to many unforced turnovers. No production at the point guard position. One bright spot is the first 2 subs off the bench. Both Burchett and Hensley are capable of scoring and probably should be starting instead of Sublett and Daniels. I'm afraid things will get worse before it gest better as we got Magoffin at home and go to Rowan the next 2 games.
canoeman06 Wrote:More stats

Williams 10 pts
Cody Bentley 13 pts
Jamerson 12 pts
Anderson 5 pts
Robinson 4 pts
Corey Bentley 6 pts
Stapleton 6 pts

Tiller led Paintsville with 25

Thanks Canoeman06. Good to see everyone getting involved. I need to print me out a schedule. Cant believe i missed this one.
Ike Cooter Wrote:Couple of things are wrong here. We have a coach with the most 15th region basketball titles than another other coach ever in the 15th region but for some reason he is the football coach. Tiller is good but has no supporting cast. The coach needs to focus more on other inside guys than his nephew. He missed 2 uncontested layups and had to many unforced turnovers. No production at the point guard position. One bright spot is the first 2 subs off the bench. Both Burchett and Hensley are capable of scoring and probably should be starting instead of Sublett and Daniels. I'm afraid things will get worse before it gest better as we got Magoffin at home and go to Rowan the next 2 games.
I would have liked to see JR to have gotten the job. He has a good basketball head on his shoulders, and the temperament to get his players to play for him. Paintsville should have never let him get to Phelps, at least without an offer.
Poor execution cost Paintsville this game it should have never went to overtime. Fact of the matter is the tip in to end the first half was clearly good. it was through the net before the horn sounded but alas that is high school basketball. I looked at my buddies when that happened and said to remember that shot when we lose by 1 point. Unfortunatly we went to overtime but it is all the same poor execution in the half court during the final possesion of regulation cost paintsville this game.
Well, I was expecting Paintsville to win this one! Good win for Pburg!

Congrats Blackcats!!
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Poor execution cost Paintsville this game it should have never went to overtime. Fact of the matter is the tip in to end the first half was clearly good. it was through the net before the horn sounded but alas that is high school basketball. I looked at my buddies when that happened and said to remember that shot when we lose by 1 point. Unfortunatly we went to overtime but it is all the same poor execution in the half court during the final possesion of regulation cost paintsville this game.
It is has been a huge problem for Paintsville. They simply do not run enough sets. They tend to play pick up basketball and that is why they are most successful when they can score, apply pressure, and get in transition. The Tigers need to be patient and run a set until they get a good luck instead of making a ton of passes that have no purpose and settling for a jumper that is forced by any number of players.

Not watching a ton last year, I would venture to say the offense ran most smoothly when it went through Green as it did at Pikeville when it went in to Wes Rowe. At that point, the defense has to worry about Green/Rowe scoring and that makes them collapse and you get a kick out or if they don't you can get a pretty good look down low. This will be a issue for both teams early. Who is the offense going to run through? At this point, I give Pikevillea slight edge because they do seem to run actual sets and are sometimes patient enough to keeping run them until they get a good look. Paintsville just needs to stick to a game plan and be patient. They have individual talent, run a game plan that will maximize its ability.
Rumors are already flying. Heard Daniels has quit. If thats true look for the tigers to end the season with a team full of Sophomores or less.
Ike Cooter Wrote:Rumors are already flying. Heard Daniels has quit. If thats true look for the tigers to end the season with a team full of Sophomores or less.

Well it won't be the sophomores, they played the 7th graders more in the jv game than your soph.,i'm suprized that they don't quit also. Why be part of a team that clearly does not want you, and the 8th grader that played in front of Hensley in the varsity game was a shock. Guess the old saying goes not how good you are but it's just who you are.
Daniels was kicked off the team or at least that is what I heard.
TheRealVille Wrote:I would have liked to see JR to have gotten the job. He has a good basketball head on his shoulders, and the temperament to get his players to play for him. Paintsville should have never let him get to Phelps, at least without an offer.

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm very happy at Phelps and feel it's worked out the best for me. I wouldn't trade anything for the kids I coach now and I'm glad to be a part of their lives. I believe Coach Ratliff will get this team on back on track, he's a good coach and will do the right things. I wish the Tigers the best of luck the rest of the year!!
You heard correct.
For a facebook status I gotta say he should be glad because I that was runyon that had saw that status the whole team would be paying for it.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:For a facebook status I gotta say he should be glad because I that was runyon that had saw that status the whole team would be paying for it.

Your post reminded me of Coach BMR back when I played a few years ago. We were playing summer ball at Georgetown when we couldn't sleep because someone outside kept blowing a whistle. I opened up the window and could make out BMR having his team run sprints...in the middle of the night...while it was raining. I know that BMR was tough and all, but I always thought he'd be a good coach to play for.
He expects the best from every kid, and you will earn everything with him. But he is fair.
Great game in the beginning. I look for the tigers to continue on the same road they are on if things don't change quickly. The talent has been there not only this year but for the last few. When will things change?
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:Thanks for the kind words, but I'm very happy at Phelps and feel it's worked out the best for me. I wouldn't trade anything for the kids I coach now and I'm glad to be a part of their lives. I believe Coach Ratliff will get this team on back on track, he's a good coach and will do the right things. I wish the Tigers the best of luck the rest of the year!!

Your a class act J. R. :Thumbs: Very good comment.