Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Clay County 61 - Corbin 58
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final
Sounds like it was a good game! Anyone on here go to this one?

Congrats Tigers!
Sounds like a good game.
I listened to this one on the radio.
Corbin was up 4 or 5 at half and led most of the game, but Clay took it over in the 4th.
These two could meet back up in the region championship if one of them knocks off Bville.
Congrats Tigers!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I listened to this one on the radio.
Corbin was up 4 or 5 at half and led most of the game, but Clay took it over in the 4th.
These two could meet back up in the region championship if one of them knocks off Bville.

I'm sure Mike Jones and the Pre-Season #1 Harlan Co. Black Bears will have something to say about that as well. Clay Co. and Corbin may be solid as they normally are, but the coaches voted Harlan Co. #1 for a reason. They have everyone back after losing to Clay on a buzzer beater in last year's
13th Region Tournament. Combine that with an experienced, veteran coach like Jones who has won this region numerous times and it's easy to see why it will be the Bears who are the favorites, not Barbourville, Corbin, or Clay.
good game at clay last night.corbin had control the first half and clay took control the second half.Clay's pressure d wore corbin out.Was impressed with Clay County as defense could be their strength.Clay also had very balanced scoring on the night.Clay will only get better as season goes on.
Looks like a good game. Congrats Tigers!
The 8th grader for Corbin(Hill) has a chance to be a big time player if he continues to improve.
A big win for a traditional power in the 13th
UKFan8 Wrote:I'm sure Mike Jones and the Pre-Season #1 Harlan Co. Black Bears will have something to say about that as well. Clay Co. and Corbin may be solid as they normally are, but the coaches voted Harlan Co. #1 for a reason. They have everyone back after losing to Clay on a buzzer beater in last year's
13th Region Tournament. Combine that with an experienced, veteran coach like Jones who has won this region numerous times and it's easy to see why it will be the Bears who are the favorites, not Barbourville, Corbin, or Clay.

Yea, and thats said every single year and every single year we see Corbin and Clay usually fighting it out in the 13th. Every now and then a team will surprise and that may be Harlan County this year, but you better believe Corbin and Clay will be firing on all cylinders come tourney time.

And preseason ranking mean absoloutly nothing.
Yep, looks like a great game
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Yea, and thats said every single year and every single year we see Corbin and Clay usually fighting it out in the 13th. Every now and then a team will surprise and that may be Harlan County this year, but you better believe Corbin and Clay will be firing on all cylinders come tourney time.

I agree with you about Pre-Season Rankings wholeheartedly. However, I was just simply stating that Harlan Co. certainly deserves to be in the conversation among 13th Region favorites such as Barbourville, Corbin, and Clay Co.

In addition, I will say that I believe this is going to be Tony P.'s worst team at Corbin. Tony is a tremendous coach and a very nice guy, but I just don't think he has enough horses to go along with Travis Smith (who is sensational) to make a run this year.

Furthermore, mark my words, Harlan Co. has not and never will be looked upon as a surprise in the 13th Region. From the first day Harlan Co. HS opened, rest assured that every 13th Region team has had their eye on Coach Jones and the Black Bears. The man has had too much success in this region not to. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Harlan Co. began a run this year of three or four consecutive 13th Region titles. Now that may come as a surprise!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Yea, and thats said every single year and every single year we see Corbin and Clay usually fighting it out in the 13th. Every now and then a team will surprise and that may be Harlan County this year, but you better believe Corbin and Clay will be firing on all cylinders come tourney time.

Harlan County has only been a school for a couple of years. They will always be in the discussion as a possible region winner from now on. When a consolidated school has 1300-1400 students in their high school and put forth the effort by bringing in good coaches, you had better bet that they will always be a factor in all regional sporting events, not just basketball.

I think you make this stuff up as you go and figure no one notices.

Harlan County has been here for four years and this is the first time they've been ranked No. 1. I think it's the first time they've been in the top five.

Clay was pretty good last year, but they haven't won a regional championship in about 10 years. They didn't win a regional tournament game for a number of years until edging Harlan County last year in the first round.

Having said that, Harlan County does not look like a No. 1 team in the region at this point. I think they will be in the mix though eventually if they start playing like they are capable.

Wait until March and see what the preseason rankings mean. I'll be surprised if at least seven of the eight teams weren't ranked in the top 10 in the preseason.
UKFan8 Wrote:I agree with you about Pre-Season Rankings wholeheartedly. However, I was just simply stating that Harlan Co. certainly deserves to be in the conversation among 13th Region favorites such as Barbourville, Corbin, and Clay Co.

In addition, I will say that I believe this is going to be Tony P.'s worst team at Corbin. Tony is a tremendous coach and a very nice guy, but I just don't think he has enough horses to go along with Travis Smith (who is sensational) to make a run this year.

Furthermore, mark my words, Harlan Co. has not and never will be looked upon as a surprise in the 13th Region. From the first day Harlan Co. HS opened, rest assured that every 13th Region team has had their eye on Coach Jones and the Black Bears. The man has had too much success in this region not to. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Harlan Co. began a run this year of three or four consecutive 13th Region titles. Now that may come as a surprise!

I can agree with that.
It also shows how much this region is awful at basketbll as i to agree Corbin has maybe there worst team ever and they are still one of the favorites.
HDE Wrote:I think you make this stuff up as you go and figure no one notices.

Harlan County has been here for four years and this is the first time they've been ranked No. 1. I think it's the first time they've been in the top five.

Clay was pretty good last year, but they haven't won a regional championship in about 10 years. They didn't win a regional tournament game for a number of years until edging Harlan County last year in the first round.

Having said that, Harlan County does not look like a No. 1 team in the region at this point. I think they will be in the mix though eventually if they start playing like they are capable.

Wait until March and see what the preseason rankings mean. I'll be surprised if at least seven of the eight teams weren't ranked in the top 10 in the preseason.

You might be the biggest sour puss ive ever seen on this site.
I cant believe your still butt hurt from Whitleys girls handling Harlan with ease.

Harlan Co is not number 1 right now. Hell, you ought to be the mayor of that town as much as you campaign for teams there.

And no i dont make it up as i go, i just love pissing you off with a passion.

Since 98, Clay has..

98 Champ
99 Champ
00 Runner Up
01 Champ
02 Runner Up

Corbin has...
00 Champ
05 Champ
07 Runner Up
09 Champ
10 Champ

So i guess i had no right saying these to have dominated this region over the past 10 years.
If it wasnt for South Laurels good teams those few years, Cly or Corbin might have won more.

Smoke on that one.
I said Clay hadn't won a regional championship in 10 years. I wasn't sure the exact year, but from your information it shows I'm exactly right. Ten years ago would be 2001. Thanks.
It's hard to dominate if you haven't won once.
Clay has not won since 01 partly because Jones was coaching at Clay. As for him being a strength for Harlan County, how many times has he had the best team in the region going all the way back to his cawood days and choked. I can count at least 8 times between his days at Cawood, Harlan , and Clay that he clearly had the best time in the region and got outcoached in the regional tourney because he was so predictable.
Run down those eight years.
He should have won in 94, but I don't know about the other seven.

Nobody picked Harlan in 93 when three sophomores and a freshman started.
Clay was rated below Bell County in 2001 and probably Cawood, too.

Rockcastle, Clay, Bell and Cawood were all good for several years from 2000-2005, but there was no clear cut favorite.
HDE Wrote:I said Clay hadn't won a regional championship in 10 years. I wasn't sure the exact year, but from your information it shows I'm exactly right. Ten years ago would be 2001. Thanks.
It's hard to dominate if you haven't won once.

I didnt say they won it ever year, i just said Clay and Corbin have been in the thick of things every single year for a long time now, and they will be this year as well.