Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Dixie Carter on the next trend in pro wrestling, ongoing challenges, how the company
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
TNA President Dixie Carter is featured in an interview with Tennessean.com. The following are the highlights of the interview.

Carter on how TNA has changed with the times: "We’re not just a wrestling company anymore. We do our own booking. We do our own promotion and public relations. We’re a licensing company. We have toys, Halloween costumes, trading cards. We make our own music. All of those things are sold and promoted around the world. But we still do more than 500 hours of television a year."

Carter on how TNA has been able to keep up with WWE: "I don’t care who you are, competition makes you better. There’s a reason there’s a Lowe’s across the street from every Home Depot and a CVS across the street from every Walgreens. I think we’ve made WWE better, just as they’ve improved us."

Carter on TNA's ongoing challenges: "When a company first starts out, you have to do whatever you can to get into the business. Then, once you’re established, you spend a lot of time getting out of all the bad contracts that got you into the business. Deals with companies, bad partnerships or licensing deals. We’re still working through some of those now that we’ve found our footing."

Carter on the next trend in pro wrestling: "Maybe pulling back the curtain a little more. People now are so reality driven. The way we view wrestling in the coming years might respond to some of that. Fans will be able to see a little bit more than they’re used to. They’ll be able to see more of the wrestlers’ unscripted emotions and drama."
I thought Carter handled the WWE question as well as she could have. Anyone who expected her to point out that they moved to Mondays to go head-to-head with Raw and failed is expecting too much. As far as the bad deals that the company signed, I wonder if she would also include agreeing to deliver 12 pay-per-view events per year, as she has previously indicated that she would like to reduce that number, but the company is contractually obligated at this point.