Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville school's basketball season will not be canceled after 100-2 game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pike County has been abuzz for the past few days over a middle school basketball game that has generated online comment far beyond Kentucky.

The game, played Nov. 5, was between Pikeville Middle School — part of the Pikeville Independent School District — and Kimper Elementary of the Pike County public school district. Kimper has grades K-8.

Pikeville Middle routed Kimper, 100-2.

News of the game apparently went viral online after accounts appeared on sports blogs and Web sites, reaching YahooSports and Forbes.com among others. Readers apparently were miffed by a report that the Pikeville Board of Education and Superintendent Jerry T. Green were considering canceling the rest of Pikeville Middle School's season because of the lopsided score.

But Green, who said he has been fielding calls and emails about the game, insisted Wednesday that there is no cancellation plan.

"Great liberties were taken with the word 'allegedly,' because the reporter who wrote the original story never contacted a board member or myself," Green said. "Neither the board nor I have considered or discussed canceling the season.

"The last thing I would want to do is punish kids. They will continue to play."
The game was part of the Pike County Preseason Tournament. According to published reports, Pikeville Middle rushed to a 70-0 halftime lead over Kimper.

Pikeville Middle Coach Bryan Johnson reportedly pulled his starters a few minutes into the game and told his players to "stop playing defense" so that Kimper could score.

Online comments about the game were mixed, but many readers seemed most upset by the idea that Pikeville Middle might be punished.

"Basically, I've been blasted by emails on both sides," Green said Wednesday.

"One condemned the fact that the coach pulled his players and had them stop shooting. I've had it on the other side, too.

"But the main issue with people was whether or not we were canceling the season and punishing students on a winning team. Once I explained that wasn't the case, they seemed to feel better."

Kimper can find some solace from its huge defeat in the fact that it has been one of the state's hottest academic performers on the Kentucky Core Content Test for two years running. One hundred percent of Kimper's students were proficient or distinguished in reading and science this year.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/12/01/19787...z1fodV7ZfI
All I can say is LOL. As in, I am too dumbfounded to even have a comment for this! HOW!!! Were there Hatfields and McCoys on each bench????
Good, it isn't the kids fault!
Great news..
Good news!! Now let's move on.:Thumbs:
This situation could have been settled in many ways. Shouldn't Pikeville's coach, Bryan Johnson been mature about the game and taken his starters out by halftime. Maybe even before then. Pikeville is not all to blame for this, but it is just all around ridiculous that a so called ""adult"" can sit back and let something like that happen. Something should have been done about this major blow out win.
Dude, READ the article first. He took them out a minute and 48 seconds into the 1st half. Left them out the remainder of the half. They started the 2nd half again, not sure how long they were in.
Wow
What is this world coming too?
20 years ago do you think people would have B***** about being beaten like this? The internet has made it possible for all whiners to complain.
I dont udnerstand why its always the winning teams fault for running up the score.

IMHO, if anything, the losing team here is the one that doesnt need to play since they cant assemble a team that can compete with an average middle school team.
Im just having a hard time trying to figure out why a team who isnt playing defense and TRYING to let the other team score, still cant get scored more than 2 points on.
Did this other team honestly not have 1 single player who could of hit more than 1 layup?