Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Prestonsburg 2012
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thoughts and Predictions??
I wondered what happened to the Blackcats this year?? They got awfully quite as the year went on.

:redboxer:
How will they do with so many new faces? Will Grispby start QB since he did in the J.V. games?
PondCreekPride Wrote:I wondered what happened to the Blackcats this year?? They got awfully quite as the year went on.

:redboxer:

Prestonsburg suffered some early season injuries that plagued some key players the whole season long, and knocked some out for the year. Even after the injured players began returning, the Blackcats could never get any momentum going, and they could never stop the runaway freight train that led to its first losing record in quite some time.

Early in the season, when completely healthy, Prestonsburg had flashes of being a very, very good team. Once some key Senior players got injured, Pburg had to rely on some very young and inexperienced players who may not have been quite "ready for prime time".

I said towards the end of the season that last year's Blackcat team will be discussed for years as being a team full of talent...some of very high level talent...but could not seem to win tough games.

Following the graduation of alot of key Senior players, 2012 could be a very difficult year for the Blackcats. Some good players return: Bryson Williams, Grant Anderson, Jared Jarrell, Adam and Aaron Griffith, Derek Newsome, Kinsey VanDine, and some very impressive looking young linemen.

Breaking in a new QB could be very difficult. It will either be Grigsby (if he is ready) or I suspect Jared Jarrell, who QB'd a very good Adams Middle School team a year ago. Grant Anderson will return from his early season ending injury and should be electric in the backfield as always.

The problem is that the schedule next year is loaded, just like this past year. There won't be much time for the new, young, incoming players to learn "on the job", and they will have to hit the ground running.

I look for Prestonsburg to be a little more run heavy next year than they have been for the past 3 years, but still rely on the passing game to a large extent.

All the momentum from the Seth Setser/Alan Craynon years, through the Michael Burchett/Austin McKinney years, and concluding with the Alex Griffith/Nathan Slone years seems to have come to a screeching halt with this past season.

Let's hope next year's team gets back to the district winning, region competing ways...
you said that very well.

I think the griffith brothers will be key!
Tought to tell. I definately thougth this year was their year to make it to the carpet with all the returning talent and starters. My opinion they really only lost 3 players from last year which one of them was replaced by his younger brother. Next year will be tough having to replace most of the line, the quarter back and the skill players. Defense was a struggle this year and next year will be even tougher with the loss of Jamerson, Collins, Garner, Osborne and the leading tacklers Cook and Robinson. Returners such as Williams and Anderson they will need alot of others to pick up the slack. Somthing most forget to factor into football is special teams. They definately need to start working on a kicker for the PAT. Those are gimme points that are being left on the field way to much. Over all I think they will compete for the district title but the opponents across the way in the region will make it tought to get past the first round again. Best of luck next season.
Well said Cat86. We have had a couple key motivaters each year & no one stepped up this past year. I think we are loaded this coming year with future QB's in Grigsby & Jarrell. Some forget also that Anderson & Williams are also former QB's. I think Anderson is to valuable in the backfield to move back to QB & Jarrell has proven to be a weapon at WR. I would love to see Williams at QB running the option & groom Grigsby another year to eventually take over.
We have some very talented young guys who where thrown in the fire last year due to injuries that will only grow from the experience & prove to be valuable assetts next year. Look forward to a team with a different attitude next year.
Good point about all the former QB's Prestonsburg has at the skill positions.

Williams played a little QB.
Anderson played QB, although he is much too valuable in the backfield or the slot.
Jarrell played ALOT of QB, although he is probably our most sure handed returning WR.
The best scenario for Prestonburg to continue to play the offensive scheme they have utilized the past 4-5 years would be for Grigsby to take over and become the QB that most think he can be. I know he has attended a TON of high level QB camps. That would free Anderson, Jarrell, and Williams to continue in the role of playmakers out in space instead of confining them under center. It is just a matter of whether Grigsby is ready or not. I know they tried to get him a ton of snaps last year in JV/Freshmen games...

This could either be a reloading year or a rebuilding year for the Blackcats. If they don't play with more emotion, enthusiasm, intensity, and aggressiveness than they did last year, it will sway heavily towards rebuilding. If they come out WITH the intangibles listed above, it could be a good year...
Doesn't look like either reloading or rebuilding. The talent level drops tremendously after this years senior class is gone. They had it all, speed, size, talent, experience and numbers. With a small junior and sophomore class it will be a many years before P-burg has success again getting back to the regional finals. A huge class of freshman by numbers but not talent. The middle school only has about 3 quality players coming up as well. The one bright spot are the Griffith twins. These boys have the hearts of a lion and know how to compete. Other than that I don't look for Williams, Anderson and Jarrel to comit the way an athlete needs to comit to bring back the P-burg luster.
cat86 Wrote:Good point about all the former QB's Prestonsburg has at the skill positions.

Williams played a little QB.
Anderson played QB, although he is much too valuable in the backfield or the slot.
Jarrell played ALOT of QB, although he is probably our most sure handed returning WR.
The best scenario for Prestonburg to continue to play the offensive scheme they have utilized the past 4-5 years would be for Grigsby to take over and become the QB that most think he can be. I know he has attended a TON of high level QB camps. That would free Anderson, Jarrell, and Williams to continue in the role of playmakers out in space instead of confining them under center. It is just a matter of whether Grigsby is ready or not. I know they tried to get him a ton of snaps last year in JV/Freshmen games...

This could either be a reloading year or a rebuilding year for the Blackcats. If they don't play with more emotion, enthusiasm, intensity, and aggressiveness than they did last year, it will sway heavily towards rebuilding. If they come out WITH the intangibles listed above, it could be a good year...

Could not agree with you more on the bolded section.
As far as QB, Grigsby improved as the year went along. With the majority of the snaps in practice this coming year he could be ready. One thing for sure is if he gets under pressure he wont fold, he will lower that shoulder & run your a$$ over. He just needs to learn to protect that ball when he does. Which i'm sure he will.
I know we lost a lot this year player wise, but i also think we lost some drama as well. We have the skill players mentioned above returning along with the Griffith twins (who i think will be more vocal as seniors on the field) maybe they can motivate there teamates to play with some heart next year.
I know we lost a lot this year player wise, but i also think we lost some drama as well.

Truer words have never been spoken.
^ A lot of drama with coaches and or player's can kill the determination of a good team. I've seen it first hand.
Could be a heck of a team. Always tough breaking in a new qb.
I think when you speak of drama, it has more to do with parents of KIDS then the players themselves. Those kids last year have been playing together their entire lives. In my honest opinion, I think this past year Prestonsburg dealt with injuries, had a few losses, and a majority of the parents lost their minds, pointing fingers, and lost sight of reality. Kids from 15-18 are very impressionable, and when parents are constantly being negative, and selfish, its going to spill over onto the kids. I got a chance to attend the Pburg/Pike Central Game and there was such a cloud of negativity over the entire Prestonsburg section. What I hope that current and future parents of Blackcats realize is that at the end of the day. Its just a game. Its not worth ruining lifetime friendships, its not worth losing sleep over, its not worth letting it consume your entire life. I had a coach tell me one time football is important. But its not more important then God, your family, and in this case your close friends. I hope that for the sake of the coaches that parents can keep this in mind. I felt like coach derossett and staff caught a lot of blame for the down year. Which im sure looking back Coach D may have done things different. But from what i saw last year, they just got exposed in places that they are usually strong. The weren't as athletic last year as they have in years past. You had Jamerson (who was hurt most of the year) Williams, and Jarrell ( who defensively wasn't ready to play) and Anderson. Anderson getting hurt killed them. Im not saying they were the only players PBurg had, i just mean you have to have MORE then average athletic kids to play the style of defense Pburg is accustomed to playing. Flat out they just weren't good enough last year. They didn't make plays when they had to.

This year hopefully Prestonsburg can find more of a balance on offense. ZERO run game, allowing a lot of teams to just pin their ears back and tee off on Crisp (who wasn't really athletic enough to use in a Sprint Out game). They are big enough up front , I would love to see more power sets , I or Offset I, with a lead fullback to take some pressure off of whoever the QB is. But I know you have to play to your strengths and I'm not there every day to know what those strengths are.

Just hope to see a more positive year from Prestonsburg!
More bad news for the program if its true. The best and most knowledgible coach is heading to Paintsville next season. He knows, understands, can relate, and knows how to teach. Not sure what the staff will do lossing Chirico. Like always bad news brings good news, unfortunately the good is for the tigers.
Anyone know who your the all district players were in your district?
Just wanted my 1000th post to be in the Blackcat Football Thread LOL.
I have not been able to get down to the field house in a while. Does anyone know why we have 2 home games scheduled with Pike Central this year?
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:I have not been able to get down to the field house in a while. Does anyone know why we have 2 home games scheduled with Pike Central this year?

Could you post their schedule. I haven't seen anything at all so far. Thanks.
PHS Coach Wrote:Could you post their schedule. I haven't seen anything at all so far. Thanks.

This is what they have listed so far. Only 1 game missing which would have to be Leslie Co. since there in our district. The game would have to be either 10-12 or 10-19 as thats the only open dates left.

8-17 - Perry Central (H)
8-24 - Sheldon Clark (H)
8-31 - Lawrence Co. (A)
9-7 - Belfry (A)
9-14 - Pike Central (H)
9-21 - Betsy Layne (H)
9-28 - Hazard (A)
10-5 - Shelby Valley (A)
10-12 - will be either open or Leslie Co. (A)
10-19 - will be either open or Leslie Co. (A)
10-26 - Pike Central (H)

Dont know why we have 2 games with Pike Central. I was hoping someone could enlighten us on that.
you can never count out Pburg
Tough schedule, young team with good talent...Must improve run defense from last season...
Tough schedule but pburg is always a solid team should be an interesting year for the blackcats
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:This is what they have listed so far. Only 1 game missing which would have to be Leslie Co. since there in our district. The game would have to be either 10-12 or 10-19 as thats the only open dates left.

8-17 - Perry Central (H)
8-24 - Sheldon Clark (H)
8-31 - Lawrence Co. (A)
9-7 - Belfry (A)
9-14 - Pike Central (H)
9-21 - Betsy Layne (H)
9-28 - Hazard (A)
10-5 - Shelby Valley (A)
10-12 - will be either open or Leslie Co. (A)
10-19 - will be either open or Leslie Co. (A)
10-26 - Pike Central (H)

Dont know why we have 2 games with Pike Central. I was hoping someone could enlighten us on that.

Looking at Leslie Co schedule the game will most likely be on 10-19 as Leslie is scheduled to play Shelby Valley on 10-12.
i watched leslie vs pburg district championship game it was best game iv seen in years. they will be tough this year.
P-burg should win the district and be in the regional finals vs
Somerset
Hoping to make some noise this year. Have a great team coming in, and some new leaders stepping up.. Should be a surprise team!
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:Looking at Leslie Co schedule the game will most likely be on 10-19 as Leslie is scheduled to play Shelby Valley on 10-12.
Does anybody have the updated schedule?
Adams606 Wrote:Does anybody have the updated schedule?

Should be as listed above. Oct 12 should be bye week & Leslie on 10-19.
Perry Cent will have one of the best running games in the mountains in Beatty and Robinson thats Kegon Robinson but that will be about it Beatty will be maybe one of the fastest players in the state.So Pburg will find out early if they can stop the run.
Pages: 1 2