Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Belfry 2012
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
No reason to dwell on a one point loss, the seniors gave it all they have. What's going down for next year?

Graduating on Offense:
#64 Duty, #62 Nelson, #59 Fields, #4 Williams, #3 Willis, #10 Dixon,#22 Dotson

On Defense:
#22 Dotson, #21 Aldana, #10 Dixon, #5 Runyon
^I thought Runyon was a Jr.
Spud6 Wrote:^I thought Runyon was a Jr.

You might be the first person to ever think that, haha. I had a fan of a team ask me if Runyon has been there since 2003. He started all four years. He graduates. The other four linebackers (Ghormley, Mullins, and Messer) all return.
^Lol. Who's going to fill in at the QB position?
Spud6 Wrote:^Lol. Who's going to fill in at the QB position?

Sani Warren.. the cb #6 will fill the void very well. Tyler Williams was a great QB for Belfry. Probably one of the best field generals they ever had.
^What grade is Warren?
He is a soph.
Wow! Bright future
Belfry returns alot of core players and ALOT of the two or three deep players from this year. I honestly thought they excelled this year. Most including me thought next year was the year. It is always hard to lose players like the ones graduating, but there were several kids waiting their turn that will fill the voids very well.
^Lets hope your right!
I look for them to make some noise for sure. Mainely cause... well, It's Belfry lol
Sani Warren will step in at QB, and not to take anything from Tyler Williams, will do a fine job. I personally think if Belfry can find a good fullback, DE, and Safety we will be fine. The three lineman we lose are big losses, but we have a conveyor belt of big boys that just keeps coming through.
Pirates will be very, very good next year on paper.

Each Senior Belfry loses not only was a good player, but a great leader... it is very apparent the Pirates should have the players and experience returning to be the favorite in the East...the question is how well this team meshes in the off-season and what kind of work ethic they take on. If next year's Seniors can improve as much as the class that is leaving, the sky is the limit for Belfry.

The Belfry playbook may never truly "open up", but I expect the Pirates to have a little more varied look next season as the Sani Warren era begins. Sani has a very unique skillset that could make him a dangerous threat in Haywood's offense if he puts in the time and effort to master his craft. Justin Johnson has the potential to be a special back. He improved in a big way as the season progressed and a year of physical development will make him even better.

The most blaring question marks are:

- Can Sani run the offense with the precision that Williams did?

- Who takes over at FB? Does Carr bulk up and make the move?

- Who steps in the middle of the D as the quick NG and DT? Dotson and Aldana were relentless. Tuffy Willis played very well at times, and Barnes may have improved the most out of all Pirates and is an absolute monster... but the Bucs still need those lighting quick guys who can get into the backfield and disrupt plays to compliment them.

Those 3 questions are the only thing standing in the way from being a very, very good team.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Pirates will be very, very good next year on paper.

Each Senior Belfry loses not only was a good player, but a great leader... it is very apparent the Pirates should have the players and experience returning to be the favorite in the East...the question is how well this team meshes in the off-season and what kind of work ethic they take on. If next year's Seniors can improve as much as the class that is leaving, the sky is the limit for Belfry.

The Belfry playbook may never truly "open up", but I expect the Pirates to have a little more varied look next season as the Sani Warren era begins. Sani has a very unique skillset that could make him a dangerous threat in Haywood's offense if he puts in the time and effort to master his craft. Justin Johnson has the potential to be a special back. He improved in a big way as the season progressed and a year of physical development will make him even better.

The most blaring question marks are:

- Can Sani run the offense with the precision that Williams did?

- Who takes over at FB? Does Carr bulk up and make the move?

- Who steps in the middle of the D as the quick NG and DT? Dotson and Aldana were relentless. Tuffy Willis played very well at times, and Barnes may have improved the most out of all Pirates and is an absolute monster... but the Bucs still need those lighting quick guys who can get into the backfield and disrupt plays to compliment them.

Those 3 questions are the only thing standing in the way from being a very, very good team.

Sani Warren is an absolute leader in the same fashion that Gary Runyon was. He will lead this team for the next two years. This is his team now, in my honest opinion. Mullins and Ghormley lead the defense.

At fullback, I would say Trenity Carr and Austin Hatfield are your leading candidates. Would like to see Hatfield work out with his cousin Josh Dixon all offseason long, because he's a stalky little freshman and having him be our starting FB next year, if he can succeed, also gives him experience going forward. As far as the defensive line, The rotation won't change too much from Barnes, Willis, and James May. Maybe Hayden Hatfield plays as the more quick DT, Nick West may also see some playing time there. I'm sure there's a few more candidates.

I just wonder if Cameron Johnson is a shoe-in to step into the safety spot as a junior. I personally think BOTH of Dixon's roles can be filled by Davontae Dari with some hard work. Dari stands about 6'0, has good size, and with a good offseason and a little work on his speed, could be absolutely nasty in my opinion. Hopefully D reads this, and it motivates him!
If #7 is Carr he should get a chance to play some meaningful minutes and get some carries. I got to see four of belfry's games (most were blowouts) and Carr looked good on the carries I saw. The kid looks pretty athletic. I thought he and # 1 should have played more all year (receiver,running back, corner, safety, etc.).
Warren could be a better qb than Williams if he's put in the right system. If we run the same offense we ran this year with Johnson, Robinson, Carr and warren at qb we will struggle against good teams because these guys excel on the outside and in open field and throwing the football not playing power football and running over people. That was perfect for dixon and Willis but not the others. Plus, why waste Warren by handing the ball off on dive plays forty times a game. Warren can sling the ball and those other kids at running back I named are tremendous athletes who can put on a show in the open field. I will never question coach Haywood, he's great and I think he knows as well as everyone in this area that he has a boat load of talent that's gonna be put on that field next year and he has to figure out away to utilize them running throwing and catching. A great problem to have if your belfry fan. I hope teams put 10 men in the box next year! (there will be lots of horns and another pirate touchdown going off). Loved this years team, they were awesome!!
Gonna be very hard to replace Dixon,(could be all state on offense and defense), runyon(could be all state DE), Williams (ran this offense as good as a qb can run it), Dotson (came out of no where to be one of the best offensive and defensive players on the team), and Willis (you cant replace him in this kind of offense, he was made for it! He is the best full back belfry has ever had.) With that being said next years team can be as good or maybe even better if you put the right people in the right place and run the right offense. (they could be D A N G E R O U S!!!)
Shew, I wished football practice started tomorrow?
Cameron Johnson would be good safety against the mountain teams because he's smart, but he lacks the speed and athleticism to play it against the likes of garrard, or central type teams. No disrespect to Cameron, he's a great kid and a good football player but a lot of us guys aren't born with great speed.
So who's going to see the bulk of carries next season?

Johnson?
rumor has it that preston dotson is playing yhis year, if he does that will be a big boost for an already very good line, he can snap the ball or play anyy other spot on the interior line, he would also probably start nose, imo he is twice the ballplayer of either wilus or barnes, as for fullback if timmy may isnt #1 coming out of spring ball he should think of changing schools and take big brother james with him the other two you have named are nowhere close to being the fullback may could be carr is a halfback and should stay there, hatfirld will see time but amay is the only one that can take that pounding in the middle right now, if amyone has watched him he dont take a hit he gives one, hayden hatfield stands the best chance of taking the open olb spot, will sani play d next year,
I agree about Carr at halfback, he's an open field runner. Preston can be very good if he's focused and may at fullback can work cause times tuff but struggles learning the plays and staying out of Haywoods dog house. Timmy has np discipline.
Got an opinion Wrote:Gonna be very hard to replace Dixon,(could be all state on offense and defense), runyon(could be all state DE), Williams (ran this offense as good as a qb can run it), Dotson (came out of no where to be one of the best offensive and defensive players on the team), and Willis (you cant replace him in this kind of offense, he was made for it! He is the best full back belfry has ever had.) With that being said next years team can be as good or maybe even better if you put the right people in the right place and run the right offense. (they could be D A N G E R O U S!!!)
Shew, I wished football practice started tomorrow?

Thats a pretty bold statement. I think Trey is/was great, but Belfry has a long line of great FBs. He definitely belongs in the conversation.
I agree! Carr is a halfback indeed, actually thought the kid should have received far more touches this year, but I look for him to return as a key player for the Pirates next year! Rumor has it that for the first time since elementary school, he has elected not to play basketball, and dedicate all his time to lifting and increasing his speed. He appears to have great foot work and see's the field well, If I'm the coach he's a halfback on my team. As far as the May kid goes, I have heard since middle school that he struggled with the plays, but that's easily fixed, just has to dedicate himself, and stay out of the dog house with Coach Haywood, I look for him to be a contender to fill the FB position, as well as the Hatfield kid. I think Warren falls right into the QB position with no problem, with that being said I thought Williams did an awesome job during his run with the Pirates. I hope the Pirates add the Dotson kid back to the line. My prediction is this group proves to be unstoppable!
belfry has two good players coming to belfry one is a fullback a brut and the othar one is a wideout with 4.4 speed lets go pirates
If the two kids from Pike Central are Pugh and Johnson, I haven't seen much out of Johnson, even in middle school we stopped him before he could get to the ball, and haven't heard much about him at a high school level! Does he play varsity ball? The Pugh kid could help out if they allow Warren to go into the air with the ball, if not don't see him being a benefit to the Pirates if they stick to a running game.
What's the names of these kids and where are they coming from?

Have they already enrolled at Belfry?
mr bojangles 007 Wrote:belfry has two good players coming to belfry one is a fullback a brut and the othar one is a wideout with 4.4 speed lets go pirates

Coming from Pike Central you say?

I'm curious who may that be?
Timmy May would be an excellent starting fullback, if he works his ass off he needs to get a little bigger. Timmy's biggest problem at Belfry thus far has been attitude. Unfortunately he has gotten in trouble time and time again and we can only hope that changes because his potential on both sides is VERY high. You know, I was thinking about this this morning, after Mingo Central posted a horrible season you can't help but wonder if some kids will transfer to Belfry for their junior/senior seasons. Alot of people don't have that same pride in Mingo Central as they did in Matewan/Williamson and may decide to come over. Our current offense is not designed to run anybody over, unless you're the fullback. The halfbacks are mainly used to get outside and run.

Trenity Carr, thus far, has showed a little bit of what I've called 'Jeffree Pruitt Syndrome' with the disclaimer that later in the year, Jeffree figured out what to do. Trenity needs to get focused on getting the wall and moving forward without cuts. Luckily, he's just a sophomore this year. If he can't develop the speed he needs going forward, he is a shorter thicker kid and could learn to play fullback. In my opinion, Belfry needs to look to whoever they can to play fullback. Johnson, Robinson, Carr, and anyone else may be able to play the halfback spot but none of them will be effective without SOMEONE playing that oh-so-important fullback spot.
Belfry will be back in Bowling Green next year. Granted the seniors who started and contributed to this amazing team: Nelson, Fields, Williams, Willis, Dotson, Aldana, J. Duty, G. Duty, Childers (sorry if I forgot anyone) WILL be missed-- there is talent on the sidelines who will be formed into what these young men were. I do think the DT and NG (quickness) will have to be worked on as those two young men were dead on basically all year long. BUT, they do have it, it's just got to be worked on and perfected!
Given a chance Austin Hatfield would and will be a beast at the fullback position.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12