Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Value of a State Championship
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since the 6 Class System has began, I really do feel like a State Title has lost it's value. I'm pretty sure every class has had at least repeat State Title in the past 5 years. (Beechwood, Fort Campbell, Central, Boyle County, Highlands, Trinity) Though Hazard pulled the upset, 2A and 3A were close games, 4-6A were no doubters. Unfortunately, Belfry has gotten stuck in the 3A Class where Central is absolutely ridiculous, and on another level. You could even argue in the 4 class system Belfry would have two more state titles ('07 and '11) I just feel like, 4A would be a battle usually between Trinity, Highlands (If they played up), St. Xavier, and Bowling Green in a 4 class system, leaving 3A and 2A more wide open, and maybe moving some good teams down to 1A to fend off the usual Mayfield and Beechwood.

What does everyone else think about this? Don't bash me, just wondering.
ASk those 6 teams that won if there's no "value" to what they did
If I won a State Title. Boy, I'd sleep with that thing on my finger every night. It would never leave my finger!

But as far as what your saying, I can see what your saying because some of those teams are use to winning. But I'm a 100% positive they hold this experience dear and near to their hearts! And the value is very great.
Spud6 Wrote:If I won a State Title. Boy, I'd sleep with that thing on my finger every night. It would never leave my finger!

But as far as what your saying, I can see what your saying because some of those teams are use to winning. But I'm a 100% positive they hold this experience dear and near to their hearts! And the value is very great.

To them, yeah it is, but how often had a 5 peat happened before the 6 class system? I'd be much more impressed if I was one of those teams in 4-6A to have beaten the other, as opposed to Franklin-Simpson or Anderson County. Hell maybe Franklin-Simpson vs. Anderson County would have been a good title game.
Belfry0304 Wrote:To them, yeah it is, but how often had a 5 peat happened before the 6 class system? I'd be much more impressed if I was one of those teams in 4-6A to have beaten the other, as opposed to Franklin-Simpson or Anderson County. Hell maybe Franklin-Simpson vs. Anderson County would have been a good title game.

According to some Trinity fans, it's almost a chore to go down and pick up their trophy in Bowling Green. They are getting some national attention and are above playing us little folks in the state. That's why the crowd for 6A was so small.
adopted purple Wrote:According to some Trinity fans, it's almost a chore to go down and pick up their trophy in Bowling Green. They are getting some national attention and are above playing us little folks in the state. That's why the crowd for 6A was so small.

This year's Trinity would have no doubt been champs, but Trinity/Highlands would usually be a good matchup. The 21 Championships and Counting Race would interest me so much more if they had to go through each other to make it.
adopted purple Wrote:According to some Trinity fans, it's almost a chore to go down and pick up their trophy in Bowling Green. They are getting some national attention and are above playing us little folks in the state. That's why the crowd for 6A was so small.

It might be for the Trinity fans, but as a Highlands fan, I feel that it is a pleasure to go to the final game.

Highlands has been in the finals 25 times. I think that I have attended at least 17 of those games. I think the only ones that I missed were 1959, '60, '61, '63, '68, '81, '95 and 2004. I have attended finals in Lexington (Stoll Field), Richmond, Bowling Green, and two different stadiums in Louisville.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Since the 6 Class System has began, I really do feel like a State Title has lost it's value. I'm pretty sure every class has had at least repeat State Title in the past 5 years. (Beechwood, Fort Campbell, Central, Boyle County, Highlands, Trinity) Though Hazard pulled the upset, 2A and 3A were close games, 4-6A were no doubters. Unfortunately, Belfry has gotten stuck in the 3A Class where Central is absolutely ridiculous, and on another level. You could even argue in the 4 class system Belfry would have two more state titles ('07 and '11) I just feel like, 4A would be a battle usually between Trinity, Highlands (If they played up), St. Xavier, and Bowling Green in a 4 class system, leaving 3A and 2A more wide open, and maybe moving some good teams down to 1A to fend off the usual Mayfield and Beechwood.

What does everyone else think about this? Don't bash me, just wondering.

Very fair debate and one that I have also thought about for the All A tournament. As others have said though, for those individuals who played in a state title game, I don't think their feeling is tainted at all.

This debate for football has raged for years and will rage for more years. When you try to make this about 6 or 4, then won't you still have the same argument??? If it's anything more than one champion, can't we continue to have this argument forever? I see us dropping back down to four, and then we can say it's less tainted, but tainted it will still be. Have one state champion or the argument holds no water. So, for me, I have no issue with the 6 classes. Four would make for better games, but it does not take the "tainted" argument out of the equation.
Stardust Wrote:Very fair debate and one that I have also thought about for the All A tournament. As others have said though, for those individuals who played in a state title game, I don't think their feeling is tainted at all.

This debate for football has raged for years and will rage for more years. When you try to make this about 6 or 4, then won't you still have the same argument??? If it's anything more than one champion, can't we continue to have this argument forever? I see us dropping back down to four, and then we can say it's less tainted, but tainted it will still be. Have one state champion or the argument holds no water. So, for me, I have no issue with the 6 classes. Four would make for better games, but it does not take the "tainted" argument out of the equation.
Have to agree somewhat. One of the things I'm finding aggravates me the most is some people getting on this site and claiming the "best teams didn't make the finals" in certain classes. Well, if that's the case, in a 4 class system, their chances would be even slimmer. I grew up with the 4 class system. Loved it. I felt that the weaker teams were automatically eliminated before the districts (these 3 team districts, etc are pitiful in my opinion), but I can see the case for an argument on both sides. Best answer is, the value is NOT diminished because a state champ is a state champ. They beat all comers. Like the movie line says "I did the best I could in a bad time". I think we are stuck with 6 A for a long time unless the population demographics drop so low as to require a huge amount of consolidation (most likely in the more rural areas), and therefore fewer schools. That might cause us to go back to 5 classes, but I don't see that happening for quite some time. Expect this argument to intensify the most in 2013, since current alignment runs through 2014.
The value of winning one does go down when you win 5 in a row.
WideRight05 Wrote:The value of winning one does go down when you win 5 in a row.
Disagree. Go ask Towles, I'm sure he would agree his 3 are each equally valuable to him. I know each of the 3 Pikeville won were equally valuable to us.
I think we should merge this thread with the rest of these garbage threads.
Heres one thats the same discussion....
http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...p?t=123159

Why didnt you just post this value crap there?

Same shit, different day. These kids earned there championships regardless and until people realize its going to be this way forever, and quit bitching about it, your just gonna make yourself miserable.

We HAD to have broke the record for the most public vs. private garbage and the 6 classes garbage threads this year.
Its a state championship!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wise one Wrote:It might be for the Trinity fans, but as a Highlands fan, I feel that it is a pleasure to go to the final game.

Highlands has been in the finals 25 times. I think that I have attended at least 17 of those games. I think the only ones that I missed were 1959, '60, '61, '63, '68, '81, '95 and 2004. I have attended finals in Lexington (Stoll Field), Richmond, Bowling Green, and two different stadiums in Louisville.

You are dating yourself there old man. I thought I was old.Confusednicker:
adopted purple Wrote:You are dating yourself there old man. I thought I was old.Confusednicker:

Well wisdom comes with age and he is the Wise One!:biggrin:
Priceless !!! So proud of my hazard bulldogs !!!!
Once upon a time there were no playoffs. The big end to the season was a rivalry game on Thanksgiving. A poll would determine who was best. But no one really cared. Football started on Labor Day and ended on Thanksgiving day.

In the early 60's playoffs started. The class system has gone through many gyrations. The worst was the "Jefferson County 4A". Basically that was five classes and there were not as many teams playing as now. Were those championships "tainted"?

No matter how it's done someone is going to have a complaint. Facts are, the kids on the field don't care. They are competing for a State Championship it doesn't matter how many or how few "A's" are on the trophy.
macdon Wrote:once upon a time there were no playoffs. The big end to the season was a rivalry game on thanksgiving. A poll would determine who was best. But no one really cared. Football started on labor day and ended on thanksgiving day.

In the early 60's playoffs started. The class system has gone through many gyrations. The worst was the "jefferson county 4a". Basically that was five classes and there were not as many teams playing as now. Were those championships "tainted"?

No matter how it's done someone is going to have a complaint. Facts are, the kids on the field don't care. They are competing for a state championship it doesn't matter how many or how few "a's" are on the trophy.

great post!
It would be an honor to be a state champion. Only 6 teams in the entire state of Kentucky can say that.
adopted purple Wrote:You are dating yourself there old man. I thought I was old.Confusednicker:

I'm not old, I went to some of those games as a mere child. However, I do remember Homer Rice as a PE teacher at HHS and Owen Hauck as a History teacher at HHS.
Wise one Wrote:I'm not old, I went to some of those games as a mere child. However, I do remember Homer Rice as a PE teacher at HHS and Owen Hauck as a History teacher at HHS.

I was at the 1960 game...
What would really be good is to ask the teams that racked up state championships in the four class system, but are now struggling to get one in the six class system,(Danville, Russell, Belfry, Breathitt Co.) if a state championship would mean anything to them. As a Somerset fan, I would take a state championship in just about any system right now.
These kids have earned a "ring".

I don't care if it's your first or 5th.

Ask the seniors on Highlands team if this year's ring has "value" even though they have other rings.

These type of threads try and cheapen something these kids and coaches have worked hard to earned- as well as threads like are 6 classes too many, or the private/public debate, or all the other hundred other debates that come up on this and other sites.

There are six teams who can say they are the champion.
Congratulations to those teams.
^ Awesome post!
nky Wrote:These kids have earned a "ring".

I don't care if it's your first or 5th.

Ask the seniors on Highlands team if this year's ring has "value" even though they have other rings.

These type of threads try and cheapen something these kids and coaches have worked hard to earned- as well as threads like are 6 classes too many, or the private/public debate, or all the other hundred other debates that come up on this and other sites.

There are six teams who can say they are the champion.
Congratulations to those teams.

Great post!:Clap:

The ADs and the coaches voted on the 6 class system and it will not change. No sense in worrying about it.