Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Highlands 2012 schedule....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Highlands needs to start putting schedules together a couple steps toward Trinity's schedule strategy.

'birds need something like this next year:

DIVISION
1. HARRISON CO.
2. PENDLETON CO.
3. HOLMES
4. COV CATH
LOCAL
5. NCC
6. RYLE
or BOONE CO.
STATE POWERS
7. TRINITY
8. BOWLING GREEN
9. LOU. ST. XAVIER
GCL POWER
10. MOELLER
or ELDER
or CIN. ST. XAVIER
10 - 0.
I would say their schedule is set for next year.
No further redistricting is there? Meaning, scheduling would not have to wait until any changes are made???
You have obviously never tried to arrange a schedule. It's kind of like soduku, once you fill up the first few spaces it becomes harder to fill out the remaining blank spaces. Especially with teams that also have limited blank spaces to fill and likely is only available on dates that are different from your own openings.

With all due respect to Trinity, it had an easier time arranging this year's schedule b/c many of the teams in Kentucky refuse to play it and it had nothing but open dates with which to work. That made it easier to accommodate the open dates from some of the powers in other states. It ended up being a win-win scenario for Trinity but I'm sure that its AD was pulling hair for a while trying to figure out how to fill out its schedule.

Highlands does now and always has played an aggressive schedule outside of its required, district games. With regard to your list, it plays all of those local teams except for NCC b/c NCC refuses to schedule it (according to my understanding). The problem with high school football is that last year's dominant programs might not end up being powerhouses the following year when you actually play them. This year's Highland's schedule is a perfect example with teams like Boyle, Elder, Mason and Western being good but not as good as first expected. The one thing that most will agree about is a potential game with Trinity. Highlands has travelled to play a Louisville power for many years but it and Trinity have never seemed to be able to work out a regular season game. Most would hope and expect that to happen some time in the near future.

And as another poster stated, next year's schedule is fairly set but it might be able to be tweaked a little if a good possibility presents itself.
yeah never put together a schedule for a high school team...
I thought they worked on the schedule up to a couple months before the season.

So is next years schedule just the same as this years?
^^^^^ It depends. There are usually the home-home commitments that need to be fulfilled with the return game but sometimes those don't work out for various reasons. That's usually when you see teams scrambling to fill open dates that they did not expect and that's probably why scheduling always seems to be more fluid than it is in actuality. And then there's the inevitable negotiating of the home-home (two game) series as to who gets the first home game b/c sometimes the second game doesn't happen. Lots of factors play into but it all usually works out in the end. The point is that it's not as easy as posting it on a message board. No offense intended.

Plus, with teams like Trinity and Highlands, they are always faulted for not playing somebody as if they need an 80 game schedule to satisfy all the naysayers.
kypecos Wrote:^^^^^ It depends. There are usually the home-home commitments that need to be fulfilled with the return game but sometimes those don't work out for various reasons. That's usually when you see teams scrambling to fill open dates that they did not expect and that's probably why scheduling always seems to be more fluid than it is in actuality. And then there's the inevitable negotiating of the home-home (two game) series as to who gets the first home game b/c sometimes the second game doesn't happen. Lots of factors play into but it all usually works out in the end. The point is that it's not as easy as posting it on a message board. No offense intended.

Plus, with teams like Trinity and Highlands, they are always faulted for not playing somebody as if they need an 80 game schedule to satisfy all the naysayers.

So are Boyle and Elder home-home deals? We could ditch Western and Mason and get some baller team deals going. I would love to see Lou St Xavier Highlands hasnt played them in forever.
I know you cant magically get every team you want on the schdule, I'd just like to see more than one or two blockbuster opponents a year. Not knockn the birds, I selfishly want to watch awesome football games.
Most of us agree with your sentiments but there are few if any posters on these message boards that actually know the answers to some of those questions. I was posting more in generalities. Someone with specifics may be able to step forward to supply this info.
Highlands needs to play some Louisville area teams if you ask me. I would love to see more of the top teams in the State play against each other. I know doing the whole schedule thing it get's hard at times, but I just wish more coaches wanted to play top schools
NCC's coach is trying to schedule an undefeated season. They'll never play Highlands. I think Trinity and Highlands may play in the 2013 season. Next year is pretty much set.
^^^^^ I might just stop posting on this thread.

Highlands has played at least one Louisville school (not including the Oldham County games) during the regular season in 13 of the last 16 years and the last 7 years in a row.

1996 Season: HHS 22 Louisville Saint Xavier 17
1998 Season: HHS 51 Louisville Male 41
2000 Season: HHS 42 Louisville Trinity 29 HHS 55 Louisville Fern Creek 0
2001 Season: HHS 0 Louisville Male 30
2002 Season: HHS 24 Louisville Male 35
2003 Season: HHS 31 Louisville Central 12
2005 Season: HHS 0 Louisville Saint Xavier 45
2006 Season: HHS 21 Louisville Saint Xavier 35
2007 Season: HHS 21 Louisville Central 13
2008 Season: HHS 28 Louisville Central 0
2009 Season: HHS 19 Louisville DuPont Manual 8
2010 Season: HHS 45 Louisville DuPont Manual 14 HHS 46 Louisville Eastern 0 W
2011 Season: HHS 56 Louisville Western 0

This is, of course, in addition to its games with other state powers and the Cinti teams. Most of us just don't understand the hate when it comes to Highlands schedule.
The problem with our schedule is our district right now. Harrison, Pendleton, and Holmes are like playing middle school girls teams. Unfortunately, we have to play them because they are in our district. I would LOVE for us to play Trinity & St. X each year, and/or a big Cincy powerhouse or two. I would also like to see us, for fun, take on an EKY challenger. I like to give the EKY teams a hard time, but I seriously think JC and Ashland are much, much better than people give them credit for. So adding all those teams to the schedule would be great...but we definitely could use a better district, because it's practice us and Covington Catholic. Maybe Harrison, Holmes, and Pendleton could combine their three teams together and play us. That might make it a game that comes within three scores.
WideRight05 Wrote:The problem with our schedule is our district right now. Harrison, Pendleton, and Holmes are like playing middle school girls teams. Unfortunately, we have to play them because they are in our district. I would LOVE for us to play Trinity & St. X each year, and/or a big Cincy powerhouse or two. I would also like to see us, for fun, take on an EKY challenger. I like to give the EKY teams a hard time, but I seriously think JC and Ashland are much, much better than people give them credit for. So adding all those teams to the schedule would be great...but we definitely could use a better district, because it's practice us and Covington Catholic. Maybe Harrison, Holmes, and Pendleton could combine their three teams together and play us. That might make it a game that comes within three scores.

Im sure if today you switched the Highlands kids with the kids from PC. If the programs progressed as scheduled the game would be pretty close when Highlands(PCkids) played Pendleton(HHSkids). Its just those kids in those counties practice like 2 times a week for an hour.
Dale should schedule a GCL team of choice as well as Anderson, Oh. every year regardless. Playing Ryle and Dixie does nothing for the Birds. A small school rivalry would be very lucrative for both programs and the drive to Anderson is minimal. There are alot of similarities between the two communities.
Don't they play Boyle in week 0 at Highlands?
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Dale should schedule a GCL team of choice as well as Anderson, Oh. every year regardless. Playing Ryle and Dixie does nothing for the Birds. A small school rivalry would be very lucrative for both programs and the drive to Anderson is minimal. There are alot of similarities between the two communities.

Dale has tried very hard to schedule teams like Anderson from Ohio. Unlike in Ky where a loss does nothing but hurt pride, a loss in Ohio can determine whether the Ohio team makes the playoffs because of the Harbin point system used in determining who makes the playoffs. Thus Ohio coaches are even more cautious in putting a schedule together than a lot of Ky coaches are. Most Ohio schools won't schedule a school that they aren't confident they will beat if they can avoid it. The large powerhouse schools in Cincinnati (Moe, X, Elder and Colerain) are more likely candidates than Anderson because they have big problems finding teams that will play them. Anderson does not. Thus it doesn't want to run the risk.

To the best of my knowledge, we are scheduled to play next year every school that we played this year as 2 year contracts were signed. That's the norm. I've heard rumors that Dixie is backing out of their two year contract, but that's only a rumor.

Dale will not back out of a contract unless he receives permission from the other team. He signed the contract and will honor it.

I also know that a couple of years ago Highlands and Trinity both tried in earnest to sign a contract (for the 09 and 10 seasons). Highlands had an opening in week 10, but T did not. T had an opening in an earlier week, but Highlands did not. Thus no contract.

Hopefully in the near future it will happen. With the Lou public supposedly now refusing to play T, it may be easier for Highlands and T to find a mutual open date and start playing each other regularly.
charlie22 Wrote:Dale has tried very hard to schedule teams like Anderson from Ohio. Unlike in Ky where a loss does nothing but hurt pride, a loss in Ohio can determine whether the Ohio team makes the playoffs because of the Harbin point system used in determining who makes the playoffs. Thus Ohio coaches are even more cautious in putting a schedule together than a lot of Ky coaches are. Most Ohio schools won't schedule a school that they aren't confident they will beat if they can avoid it. The large powerhouse schools in Cincinnati (Moe, X, Elder and Colerain) are more likely candidates than Anderson because they have big problems finding teams that will play them. Anderson does not. Thus it doesn't want to run the risk.

To the best of my knowledge, we are scheduled to play next year every school that we played this year as 2 year contracts were signed. That's the norm. I've heard rumors that Dixie is backing out of their two year contract, but that's only a rumor.

Dale will not back out of a contract unless he receives permission from the other team. He signed the contract and will honor it.

I also know that a couple of years ago Highlands and Trinity both tried in earnest to sign a contract (for the 09 and 10 seasons). Highlands had an opening in week 10, but T did not. T had an opening in an earlier week, but Highlands did not. Thus no contract.

Hopefully in the near future it will happen. With the Lou public supposedly now refusing to play T, it may be easier for Highlands and T to find a mutual open date and start playing each other regularly.

So the Harbin point system is set up to deter intra state rivalries? sad stuff.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:So the Harbin point system is set up to deter intra state rivalries? sad stuff.

I don't think it's set up for that reason, but an unintended consequence is the fear of overscheduling keeping a team out of the playoffs.
Mike Fields of the Lexington Hearld-Leader wrote in http://www.kentucky.com/2011/12/09/19878...tball.html that Highlands will play Scott County in week 2 next fall, but no location is set yet. He also wrote that Trinity's schedule or next fall is the same as 2011 with the locations reversed.
^ Scott County is pretty tough. They'll be a good matchup. Remember, they scored 21 on Trinity and scored first on their starters early in the game! And I don't mean that as a shot, I mean that Trinity is THAT good and for a team to be able to do that to them says a lot! This is a lot better than an easy win against BG would have been IMO.
WideRight05 Wrote:^ Scott County is pretty tough. They'll be a good matchup. Remember, they scored 21 on Trinity and scored first on their starters early in the game! And I don't mean that as a shot, I mean that Trinity is THAT good and for a team to be able to do that to them says a lot! This is a lot better than an easy win against BG would have been IMO.

:1:
^ I'm sure you're jealous we won't be whipping that BG ass all over the field (again).
I guess that makes it official that Dixie chickened out of that game in week 2 vs Highlands. At least playing Scott Co will be better than spending $6 to watch Highlands spank Dixie 62-14 again.
^ My Man!!!!!!!!!!!!
WideRight05 Wrote:^ I'm sure you're jealous we won't be whipping that BG ass all over the field (again).

You guys should take your act on the road. Funny stuff.
We'll be happy to go to your field and slaughter your team there too!
birdman44 Wrote:yeah never put together a schedule for a high school team...
I thought they worked on the schedule up to a couple months before the season.

So is next years schedule just the same as this years?

Most schedules are a 2 year set up and this is year 2 for most of the games.

Boyle is supposed to open the season at Ft Thomas as part of their home and home.
#2 isn't a bad spot Highlands.
^ Hey, you posted!
Pages: 1 2