Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Khsaa playoff blowouts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok I have watched all of the games on my computer that I hooked into my TV. And currently I am watching Bowling Green KILL Anderson Co. 27-0 in the 2nd Qtr. right now. And for the exception of Belfry vs. Central game, this years state finals were horrible BLOWOUTS !! Not even competitive games at all. The Hazard game would maybe come close but that was pretty much run a way as well.
I wish the KHSAA would at least look at restructuring schools or something. I mean this is not even close in competition. I know this will make some people mad, but PRIVATE schools that have NO boundaries should have their own tourn. Call it the Catholic Tourn. LOL. Just kidding.
Would have been a couple of AWESOME matchups.
fb fan Wrote:I wish the KHSAA would at least look at restructuring schools or something. I mean this is not even close in competition. I know this will make some people mad, but PRIVATE schools that have NO boundaries should have their own tourn. Call it the Catholic Tourn. LOL. Just kidding.

there wasn't that many private schools that made it to the title game this year. two that i can count, but there might be 3. just get over it, all the people that bitch about it, there school must SUCK. just remember one thing. TO BE THE BEST YOU HAVE TO BEAT THE BEST.
1A mayfield was the best this season. Hazard beat them
2A NCC was the best. Holy cross beat them on there way to state
3A the best team won it.
4A the best team won it
5A BG is winning right now
6A #1 in the country. all you have to say here.
Listen, you could take the 3rd or even 4th best PRIVATE school in most districts and they would have defeated i know of at least a couple in the finals. PRIVATE SCHOOLS SHOULD BE ELIMINATED FROM SUCH A PUBLIC SCHOOL VENUE. It is not and will never be a good mix for athletics PERIOD.
Public school athletics that is.
^^^^

What are you talking about?

There were only two Private Schools who made it through.

Trinity, possibly the best team in the nation.

Holy Cross, who won a very weak 2A class.

The problem isn't Public vs. Private...the problem is 6 classes.
I can agree with that as well. But it is impossible year in and out to compete with school systems that can......(and I will not say recruit) get kids from surrounding large cities to come play for them, and still have a fair comparison with a school system that truly has to take what kids that come out to play, in the public school system. ESPECIALLY those schools that only have ONE school in the entire county. Not recognizing this is just being nieve.
fb fan Wrote:I can agree with that as well. But it is impossible year in and out to compete with school systems that can......(and I will not say recruit) get kids from surrounding large cities to come play for them, and still have a fair comparison with a school system that truly has to take what kids that come out to play, in the public school system. ESPECIALLY those schools that only have ONE school in the entire county. Not recognizing this is just being nieve.
You're arguing more the difference between Rural areas versus urban areas not public versus private.
In the Urban more populated areas of the state you have more opportunities to play at multiple schools (in Northern Kentucky a parent has 19 teams that play football with in a 30 minute drive to choose from). Where as in some rural areas you only have one school in the entire country.
If it would have been 4 classes, all the games but maybe one would have been a blowout as well.
Its not 6 classes that hurting KY.
Its the parity of which we lack in KY high school football.

Its usually always the same teams.
If it would have been 4 classes this year, and every school was in every class the should be in then...

Holy Cross would have still blew out 1A competetion, or NCC whichever won that rematch in the playoffs before state.

Central would have blew out the rest of 2A because Belfry would have been 3A.

Highlands would blow out 3A

And Trinity would blow out 4A.

Its a lot better know than what it was. Trust me, these games would have been just as bad.
I just love these threads.
Keep it up, im sure it will change.....not.

Theres going to be 6 classes from now on, thats 100%.
The only way to work the playoffs and still have 15 weeks of football like we do now, is to do the playoffs like we do now, so get over it its not gonna change.
I think every time one of these threads are started we should merge it with an old thread that says the same exact garbage, and since thats what we do on here, we might as well merge them all, its the same topic.
Then all the garbage and whining will be in one thread instead of scattered out every time a blowout playoff game happens.
The KHSAA has 6 classes for one big and a few minor reasons.

The biggest reason is more money. 6 games means there's a significant chance to make a lot of money. Attendance didn't really change since the 4 class system. 2006 was the last year for 4 classes and the average crowd was around 7,000. This year's average is around 7,000.

The other reasons for 6 classes are to give more teams a chance to win state and give all the different areas of the state a chance to have more reps at the finals. NKY, Louisville, the Mountains, and Central Kentucky each had 2 teams, and WKY had 4 teams.

As far as making games competitive, the best solution is 3 classes, but that doesn't make any sense financially
Kentucky does not have near enough teams for 6 classes, plain and simple. Make it 3 classes and play on. They make enough money off of the sweet 16 to carry all the other sports. You would have much better competition thru the playoffs.
I'd love to see better football games, but I can't trade the money for the golf team to do it!
Somebody on an earlier thread was discussing how we should adopt the Indiana playoff system with 5 classes. Well, here is what Indiana had this year with that great playoff system. Can someone please tell me how that system is so much better than what we have?
http://www.ihsaa.org/dnn/Sports/Boys/Foo...fault.aspx
And here is Tennessee's:
http://www.tssaa.org/2011Champions/State...ecross.htm
Only 2 games a 1 score difference.
Fb- GL with the thread. After you dust yourself off and remove the foot prints you will be ok. I know I was.
One thing I don't think people realize is that MOST of the students that go to the catholic schools in Northern KY go to the school that would be in their "district" anyway. (EX: Taylor Mill/Cov. go to HCCHS, Newport/Ft. Thomas - NCCHS, Alexandria - BBHS etc.) Recruiting does does not really come into play in NKY. I can't speak for private schools in other parts of KY.
We are either going to have six classes or a public/private split.

And a public/private split is not going to happen.

As for the so-called "blowouts" they have always happened and always will. But the final score does not always indicate the competitive nature of the game.

Had FS caught a break on just two plays the final of HHS/FS could have been 42-28 or 42-35. To me a "blowout" is what happened in last year's 5A final (28-0 first quarter & 50-0 final) and this year's 5A final...that was a blowout, non-competivie game.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Central would have blew out the rest of 2A because Belfry would have been 3A.

You have it reversed. Central would have been 3A and lost to Bowling Green in the Semi's.

Belfry would have been in 2A, defeating either CHC or Garrard in the Semi's before winning decisvely against either Glasgow or Ft Campbell in the Finals.
Ok I would like to pose this question for you all. Would it be more competitive with all of the city / independent schools along with private schools in a 2 possibly 3 class playoff system, and the county schools in a 3 possibly 4 class playoff system. Two seperate playoffs. I know it sounds crazy but just wanted your thoughts and if you think it would be more competitive. Be nice though, just possing the question. Thanks
Personally I think it would make for some very interesting and competitive games.
In Warren County there is the Warren Co. School system that has:

Warren Central--Some rural kids some city

Warren East--Mostly rural

South Warren--Mostly city with some rural

Greenwood--Mostly city

Then there is the Bowling Green Independent School System that has:

Bowling Green High School--Mostly city, or rural if you are 6'5" 315 or fast as a hiccup (kidding).

If you're going to split city and rural how do you handle Warren and others like it?