Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Gulnare Free Will Baptist
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A church in Pike County has banned interacial partners in their church. If you all have heard about this what's your thoughts? LWC I really look for you to weigh in on this preacher man
That's dumb.
What's their logic behind it?
Heard this on the radio!!
Sounds like the 1950's still aren't dead in some places. Period.
I dont even know where Gulnare is at...
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/30/ken...latestnews

Sounds as if the parent church doesn't agree.
This is a disgrace and it's a big part of the reason that people who don't go to Church stay out of Church.
Member Melvin Thompson crafted the resolution but said Wednesday that he is not racist. "I am not racist. I will tell you that. I am not prejudiced against any race of people, have never in my lifetime spoke evil about a race," said Thompson, the church's former pastor who stepped down earlier this year. "That's what this is being portrayed as, but it is not."

The only thing Mr. Thompsom left out was to say "those" people.

Sir you are a racist.
There is no way that you can propose this and not be a racist.
It's impossible.
zaga_fan Wrote:There is no way that you can propose this and not be a racist.
It's impossible.

Agreed!
He is racist!
What reasons have the church given? Someone previously mentioned that "churches" like that make Kingdom-building and Gospel-forwarding so difficult today.

My Bible tells me that:
Galatians 3:28 Wrote:There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

James 2:1-10 Wrote:1 My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. 2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. 3 If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” 4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?
5 Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court? 7 Are they not the ones who are blaspheming the noble name of him to whom you belong? 8 If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right. 9 But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

I understand that I am stretching the meaning of the Galatians verse, but I am stretching it with a Kingdom-truth. Paul wrote that referring to those who are in Christ. He is basically saying, in the eyes of the Lord nobody is better than anyone else for any reason. Dr. MLK said it best when he said, "...not judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character!"

The second set of verses that I used talk about showing favoritism. Again, I am stretching these particular verses but stretching them out of their initial context but still keeping them in a kingdom-context. I have to stretch them because, as far as I know the only verses in the Bible SPECIFICALLY referring to interracial marriage are AGAINST it, but that was in the Old Testament AND it was forbidden for a very specific, very at-that-time oriented.

Deuteronomy 7:3-4 Wrote:You shall not intermarry with them, giving your daughters to their sons or taking their daughters for your sons, for they would turn away your sons from following me, to serve other gods. Then the anger of the Lord would be kindled against you, and he would destroy you ...
in that same couple of verses the REASON for that original law was that the race they would marry would keep them from following God.

Basically, the ONLY Bible verse opposing interracial marriages, that I can find, has a time-specific reason, that does not apply today.

I hope this answered your question or gave you the insight needed.
LWC Wrote:What reasons have the church given? Someone previously mentioned that "churches" like that make Kingdom-building and Gospel-forwarding so difficult today.

My Bible tells me that:

I understand that I am stretching the meaning of the Galatians verse, but I am stretching it with a Kingdom-truth. Paul wrote that referring to those who are in Christ. He is basically saying, in the eyes of the Lord nobody is better than anyone else for any reason. Dr. MLK said it best when he said, "...not judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character!"

The second set of verses that I used talk about showing favoritism. Again, I am stretching these particular verses but stretching them out of their initial context but still keeping them in a kingdom-context. I have to stretch them because, as far as I know the only verses in the Bible SPECIFICALLY referring to interracial marriage are AGAINST it, but that was in the Old Testament AND it was forbidden for a very specific, very at-that-time oriented.

in that same couple of verses the REASON for that original law was that the race they would marry would keep them from following God.

Basically, the ONLY Bible verse opposing interracial marriages, that I can find, has a time-specific reason, that does not apply today.

If I remember correct, Moses wife was an Ethiopian.
A friend and I drove up there Wednesday night to try to talk with the church leaders and have a discussion and voice our overwhelming displeasure with the message they are sending about my community just by association. The service was canceled, but WYMT also showed up. I hope to go Sunday and talk face to face with these people and let them know how I feel. This is just absolute insanity. I would advise no one to go to Thompson's Hardware on John's Creek either as the loons are running that place as well. This is pathetic and it is getting me angry just typing this. This kind of BS has no place in today's society. I hope they either have an epiphany and recant this stupidity or just uproot their "church" and go crawl in a hole in Montana.
Im not saying i agree, however, its there right as a church isnt it?
If someone doesnt like it, why dont they just switch churches?
I know i would if i was a member of that church.

Some places, (and people) are just to far behind in the world to know any better and its a shame that there are still societies like this today.

As i said, it doesnt matter to me either way and i feel it is okay, but your getting into a seperation of church and state matter when dealing with religion, and its a fight that you'll lose every time unless your the church.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Im not saying i agree, however, its there right as a church isnt it?
If someone doesnt like it, why dont they just switch churches?
I know i would if i was a member of that church.

Some places, (and people) are just to far behind in the world to know any better and its a shame that there are still societies like this today.

As i said, it doesnt matter to me either way and i feel it is okay, but your getting into a seperation of church and state matter when dealing with religion, and its a fight that you'll lose every time unless your the church.
If I'm not mistaken, they could lose their tax exempt status if they bypass US racial laws. The same way a business can get in trouble over it.
zaga_fan Wrote:This is a disgrace and it's a big part of the reason that people who don't go to Church stay out of Church.

Agreed!

Why is there so many different types of churches? For reasons like this. Someone didn't like what someone else was doing so they went and started their own church instead of focusing on the real reason for attending a church service.
My bad, I didn't see this post in the General discussion, I created one in the Current Events.
What happened to red or yellow, black or white, they are precious in his site???
Just proof there are still idiots out there.
I'm wondering if that ignorant bunch knows about Moses's Ethiopian wife?
LWC Wrote:What reasons have the church given? Someone previously mentioned that "churches" like that make Kingdom-building and Gospel-forwarding so difficult today.

My Bible tells me that:

The last quote is from the Old Testament, something that Baptists don't even follow. These "Christians" aren't Christians...they are pieces of shit. With this vote, they spit in the face of God. I hope these people are never happy again for the damge they've caused that couple and to the damage they've caused our region.

When I walked into the day room in the barracks, my chain of command were talking about this. He said "Vundy, you're from Kentucky, right"...I lied and told him I wasn't from that (Pike) area because I'm so damn ashamed. I hope that those "Christians" experience the racism and hate that they deserve before they die for what they have done. Yeah...Christians my ass.
They overturned their ruling.....

for what it's worth.
Something I want to add....

is the members of the Church that refused to vote.
I understand why they didn't want to be a part of it...
but that's why you take membership at a Church.
They had a chance to nip that in the bud before this blew up and they didn't take a stand.
By not voting they threw away their chance at making this right.
^To late for that!