Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Southwestern 70, Somerset 51
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The SW Lady Warriors played well tonight in their season opener. SHS falls to 1-1 on the season.

4 Lady Warriors - Adison Corder, Hannah Grant, Destiny Molden, Samantha Fitzgerald - all hit double figures. :1:
Congrats Lady Warriors!! Hopefully I will get to go see a few games!
Congrats SW!
Congrats Lady Hornets
11/29/2011
Southwestern 71
Somerset 50
Somerset 14 14 12 10 50
Southwestern 20 25 13 13 71
Somerset (1-1) -- Bray 5, Anciro 12, Edwards 14, Brooks 8, Mills 7, Vaught 2, Johnson 2.
Southwestern (1-0) -- Fitzgerald 15, Corder 16, Combs 9, Molden 12, Grant 11, Fothergill 5, Venable 3.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/11/23/15374...z1fCGQowJh
Lady Warriors dominate Somerset, 71-50
By DOUG EADS, CJ Correspondent
Commonwealth Journal

Somerset — No Danay Fothergill — no problem.

Life without Southwestern’s all-time leading scorer began in earnest last night for Tim Rice and the Lady Warriors, however the blue and orange picked right up where they left off last season.

Hosting arch-rival Somerset in their season opener, the Lady Warriors placed four players in double figures, taking advantage of a depleted Lady Jumper lineup, en route to an impressive 71-50 victory.

To say that Rice’s club looked impressive in its season debut would be an understatement.

Southwestern drained 11 treys in the victory, took care of the basketball with just nine turnovers, and methodically pulled away from the Lady Jumpers, on its way to the 21-point win.

“That’s as good of a team game that one of my teams has played since I’ve been here,” stated Rice, after his club moved to 1-0 on the year.

“We distributed the ball around all night long and found the open person, and we took good shots and played very unselfish,” continued a very jubilant Lady Warrior coach. “We got in serious foul trouble, and we just mixed and matched our lineup for a while, but I thought Allie Venable and Dylana Fothergill both came off the bench and did a great job for us.”

Southwestern came out on fire, racing out to a quick, 5-0 lead, but Somerset would respond.

Thanks to an old-fashioned three-point play by the Lady Jumpers Bethany Edwards with 5:14 remaining in the first quarter, Somerset rallied to take its first lead of the night at 8-7.

That lead however would be short-lived.

Playing without its leading returning scorer from a year ago — Mariko Krause — who was injured in Monday night’s win over Garrard County — Somerset quickly found itself in trouble, and more importantly, behind on the scoreboard.

Down by that 8-7 margin, Southwestern went on an 8-0 run taking a 15-8 lead over the Lady Jumpers and would never trail again.

Destiny Molden and Brittany Combs each hit three’s during the spurt, while Samantha Fitzgerald — who scored 15 points on the night — scored on a baseline jumper putting Somerset in a big-time hole.

The Lady Jumpers — a team with not a great deal of depth heading into this season — having to play without Krause, only made 15 of 28 free throw attempts, while being guilty of 20 turnovers.

All those factors added up to Somerset falling to 1-1 on the young season with the 21-point setback to one of its arch-rivals.

“Two night’s in a row, we just weren’t ready for it — we’re not a big, physical team, and our legs were not very good tonight,” lamented SHS head coach Chris Adkins.

“We were late getting to every one of their shooters on the floor, and we’re just not that kind of team,” pointed out the Lady Jumper coach. “Not having Mariko was a big factor, but we will go back to the drawing board tomorrow and see if we can figure it out and get better.”

Thanks to that modest, 8-0 run, Southwestern took a 20-14 lead into the second frame, and in that second period, Rice and company went on yet, another run on the Lady Jumpers.

Dylana Fothergill hit a pair of free throws giving the Lady Warriors their first double digit lead of the night at 27-17, but there would be a lot more to come from Rice and crew.

A Fitzgerald three made it 30-17 in favor of the home team, and after Somerset had trimmed the deficit to 32-21, the Lady Warriors went on another 8-0 spurt to throw and land the haymaker.

Destiny Molden hit a pair of treys during that rally, and sandwiched in between those two bombs was a nice move down in the paint by Southwestern’s lone senior, Hannah Grant.

Southwestern took a commanding, 45-28 lead into the intermission, and while the game was not over at that juncture, Somerset was indeed on life support.

Midway through the third period, Cassie Bray’s three-pointer whittled the Southwestern lead down to 50-36, getting the Lady Jumpers as close as they had been in quite a while.

However, Allie Venable answered that score with a trey of her own, and on the Lady Warriors next trip downcourt, Adison Corder drained a trey, extending the lead out to 20 points, 56-36.

“Adison, Destiny, and Samantha Fitzgerald all played really solid all night, and I could just go on and on and say something good about everybody who went in there and played for us tonight,” stated Rice. “This is as good of a team effort as my team has played since I’ve been at Southwestern.”

“We can be a very good team this year — I really believe that,” added the Lady Warrior coach. “Now, we may go up to Boyle County on Friday night and go two for 20 from downtown, because when you’re young and inconsistent, they kind of go hand to hand.”

Corder led the Lady Warriors with 16 points in the win, while Fitzgerald chipped in with 15 points, Molden added 12, and Grant tallied 11 points.

Somerset meanwhile was led in scoring for the second straight night by Edwards with 14 points, while Alyssa Anciro chipped in with 12 points.

“The legs, the effort, whatever you want to call it — it just wasn’t there tonight for us,” stated Adkins. “You just can’t play defense with that kind of effort, and the girl’s know it. They just didn’t have it tonight, and sometimes you come out and just don’t have it.”

“They are so compassionate and caring, and they came into this game worrying about their comrade in arms in Mariko, and we just couldn’t press, and it seemed like we were a step slow in everything,” added the Lady Jumper coach.

Southwestern will return to action on Friday night at Boyle County, while Somerset will travel to Madison Southern on Saturday evening.

SHS — 14 14 12 10 — 50

SW — 20 25 13 13 — 71

SOMERSET — Edwards 14, Anciro 12, Brooks 8, Mills 7, Bray 5, Vaught 2, Johnson 2

SOUTHWESTERN — Corder 16, Fitzgerald 15, Molden 12, Grant 11, Combs 9, Fothergill 5, Venable 3
Southwestern is a very good young team. I think we will contest for the crown by seasons end.