Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Clark Co. 2012
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The roster has experienced a significant makeover, but the mission remains the same for the George Rogers Clark boys basketball team.

“Our goals have not changed one bit,” Clark coach Scott Humphrey said. “We have a lot of new faces and a lot of people will get the opportunity to play who haven’t had the (chance) to play. Nothing has changed in regard to our goals.”

Humphrey added that “rebuilding” isn’t part of his team’s vocabulary, either.

“I hate that word,” he said. “You can start throwing around the word rebuilding and it’s kind of hard to get the seniors to buy (into the program). They want to (have success) now and I don’t blame them. Clark County has a strong basketball tradition and it always has been. It was (strong) before I got here and will be after I leave.”

The Cardinals are coming off one of their most successful seasons in school history. Clark compiled a 30-6 record and lost to eventual state semifinalist Louisville Eastern in the quarterfinals of the Boys Sweet Sixteen.

Clark graduated eight seniors from that squad, including standouts Jaylen Daniel, Robbie Stenzel, Vinny Zollo, Travis Purvis and Corey Rogers. Michael Martin, Jeffery Whitton and Darius Skinner also were senior members of last year’s team.

Senior Bopper Stenzel served as Clark’s point-guard last season and is the squad’s top returnee at the varsity level. Adam Fatkin and Charlie Rogers, also seniors, contributed to the success of last year’s team off the bench. Dominic Vancleve and Andrew Howe also are back for the Cards. Humphrey said the group of returnees provides a solid foundation to build upon this season.

“I’m extremely pleased with our returning seniors,” Humphrey said. “They have done a great job day in and day out of leading (the team). Bopper is the exception, but the other guys are going to get the opportunity to play this season. They’ve worked just as hard as anybody we’ve had come through this program and playing time hasn’t been there for them, because we graduated so many players last year. They’re just doing a great job of leading every day.”

As expected, Humphrey said Stenzel, Rogers and Fatkin have been “sticking out” above the rest of the team during preseason workouts.

“After that, we have a lot of different pieces that will help,” Humphrey said. “Each night different people are going to step up and take their piece of the puzzle.”

The rest of Clark’s roster features a variety of newcomers, including seniors Taylor Howard, Trevor Gray and Tyler Carrier. Despite the lack of experience, Humphrey is happy with the way his team is “progressing along” heading into Tuesday night’s season-opener at Covington Catholic.

“We haven’t taken a step back one day in practice as far as effort, our attitude or anything like that,” the Clark coach said. “They’re just doing an outstanding job.”

Humphrey’s biggest concern is his team’s “lack of experience.”

“I see a lot of good things in practice,” he said. “But, we need to see it when the popcorn is popping and the lights are on in big-time environment. That’s when we’ll learn the most about our team.”

To be successful, Humphrey said his core group has “to stay healthy and have some guys step up who have the talent, but not the experience.”

He added that his current squad doesn’t feel pressured to emulate last year’s team, which advanced to the state tournament for the second time in four years.

“This is a totally different team,” Humphrey said. “They’re ready to strike their own identity and we don’t talk anything (about last year). It’s a new challenge, a new team and I’m excited for them. I think they’ve got a chance to be better than what people think. I know they will put out an outstanding effort every night.”

Players to watch: Stenzel, Fatkin and Rogers

“I wouldn’t trade Bopper for any point guard that I’ve ever had,” Humphrey said. “He just does so much for us with his toughness, intelligence and he’s a good player. I think you’re going to see Adam Fatkin and Charlie Rogers (emerge). Those are two kids who have really worked on their game the last couple of years and are starting to bloom right now. They’re poised to have an outstanding year.”

Top newcomers:

“Each day in practice, the name changes,” Humphrey said. “But the good part of that is, we have guys who have the talent and the potential to do that. We need some guys to step up and that will play itself out during the course of the season. They’re each going to get the opportunity to play and the players who take advantage of it, will see their playing time increase. I’ll be surprised if we have the same lineup game-to-game and half-to-half in December. I can really see a lot of movement back and forth because the competition is so strong. I just think they’re going to need some experience and I think the first month (of the season) will do that for us.”
Lots of new faces on this years team. As stated, inexperience is what the Cards lack going into the season. By tourney time I expect the Cards to be in the hunt to be at Rupp.