Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Neck tattoos can have consequences
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A tattoo on the neck could prevent someone from serving in the military, and a Kentucky lawmaker wants to make sure people know this when entering tattoo parlors.

State Rep. Ron Crimm, R-Louisville, pre-filed a bill that would require tattoo parlors to post a sign reminding patrons of the military restrictions.

Some local tattoo artists said they don't object to the proposed law, and military recruiters see it as an education tool to deal with an increasing number of tattoos on American bodies.

An Air Force recruiter told Crimm about people being told to remove a neck tattoo or face rejection.

"I'm not after tattoo parlors or people with tattoos," Crimm said. "I thought this would serve as a word to the wise."

Crimm's proposal would require tattoo parlors to hang a sign supplied by the state that warns "any tattoo on the neck, forearm or lower leg shall automatically disqualify the wearer from military service in the United States Armed Forces."

Military regulations regarding tattoos don't necessarily prohibit tattoos on arms and legs and vary according to the branch.

Generally, the military prohibits neck tattoos and tattoos with racist or other material deemed obscene by military command.

A picture of any tattoo on anyone who enlists in the Army National Guard in Kentucky gets reviewed by Maj. Fred W. Bates V, recruiting and retention battalion commander for the Kentucky National Guard. He can sign a waiver or send it to leadership for a recommendation. Sometimes the Army tells the enlistee to cover a tattoo or get it removed if the person wants to enlist, he said.

"The military is inclusive, and you don't want a tattoo that racially offends someone else or that's degrading to women," Bates said. "In the military, you have to serve together and fight in combat together. You don't want these issues causing problems. And there are standards in the uniform. There are standards in the Army about haircuts and piercings that people can and can't have."

The popularity of tattoos in recent years has meant more tattoos for Bates to review. Bates said a sign reminding people of the consequences of a visible tattoo in the military can only help.

"For young people who decided to get a tattoo, it still lets them make a decision," Bates said. "We do get some young men and women, they may have a tattoo that could cause a problem. If they knew in advance, the choice is then theirs."

Local tattoo artists saw no harm in Crimm's proposed law but also saw no benefit.

"Most people already know that when they come through here," said Tommy Partin, a tattoo artist at Designs By Dana in Covington. "I know people that get stuff covered up to get in the military. If they have a pinup girl on the arm, they are asked to put a top on her."

Tattoos have become more popular since the 1980s when Mark Lind served in the Air Force. Lind didn't have any tattoos at that time but now works as a tattoo artist and owns Lucky 13 tattoo parlor in Covington.

"They weren't popular like they are now," Lind said. "You didn't see people covered. Now, anywhere you go, you're bound to see people covered in tattoos."

He said he explains to customers who want tattoos on the neck or other highly visible areas the potential consequences and what types of tattoos they should consider, i.e. names of children instead of names of their partners, which could change.

He doesn't think requiring a sign will change people's decisions.

"Saw a girl last week who got a tattoo of her significant other, his name on her neck," Lind said. "She wants it covered up now, a week later. You try to explain to people, but they want what they want. They'll look at the sign in the same way."

http://www.NKY.com
Im sure the military wouldnt mind taking someone with a tattoo on there neck in the draft if they needed them.....

However, anyone with a tattoo on there neck knows the consequences im sure.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Im sure the military wouldnt mind taking someone with a tattoo on there neck in the draft if they needed them.....

However, anyone with a tattoo on there neck knows the consequences im sure.

No, I don't believe that to be the case at all. They have done this because they have thought it is COOL, not because have any concept that someday they would like to stop working at McDonalds for a living.....
Well IMO - Tattoos in places like that are pretty skank if you ask me.