Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Preseason showcase events in Rupp Arena
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Nov. 25th and 27th games in Rupp Arena have been affected by an NCAA rule that was enforced at 10:05 Wednesday night.
The NCAA will not allow any non-scholastic events on a collegiate campus or main practice/playing facilities.
This means all schools that want to play their games have had them moved to the Lexington Christian Academy.
^ What was the event? Was it for AAU teams?
Stardust Wrote:^ What was the event? Was it for AAU teams?

High School Pre-season games.
^ So, that makes no sense to me, is this saying that no High School event can be played at a college venue???
Stardust Wrote:^ So, that makes no sense to me, is this saying that no High School event can be played at a college venue???

cause UK is gonna be playing at Rupp Arena around those dates. My pastor's wife works at Rupp Arena so they may have something else going on there that could have interferred with these games as well
^ I'm having a tough time understanding what the rule was that was mentioned earlier
My email just states that the NCAA enforced a rule at 10:05pm Nov. 23 that prohibits non-scholastic events from playing on a collegiate campus or main practice/playing facility.
Bleid Sports lists approval #s that had been given to them by the NCAA and to Rupp Arena for these events.
I know Wesley Christian will continue to part of this event at LCA.
Everyone have a great Thanksgiving
^ I would take that to mean that Rupp Arena could no longer host the Sweet 16.
I am not for sure but since this isn't regulated by the KHSAA it would be considered non-scholastic I believe, anything by the KHSAA would be scholastic and let the tournament remain at Rupp Arena and any other state that has tournaments at a college campus.

However, I think you look solely at Cal on this, this was a good event until Calipari horns his way in and gets these big schools to come in thus taking away from KY kids. Bringing in these top 20 players so they are essentially in town for free cause their school pays for it results into a free campus visit that doesnt count as one of their official ones. Calipari is slime.
Sheldon Clark will not be making the trip to LCA
Does anyone now have a list and times of the teams that will be playing?
Gold Charger Wrote:Does anyone now have a list and times of the teams that will be playing?
From Herald Leader
Schedule
Here is the updated schedule for the scrimmages at LCA:
Nov. 25
9 a.m.: Bluegrass United vs. Somerset Christian
10:15: Deming vs. Trinity Christian
11:30: Paris vs. Garrard County
12:45 p.m.: Cooper vs. Bracken County (girls)
2: Livingston Central vs. Beth Haven
3:15: Butler vs. Sheldon Clark
4:30: St. Xavier vs. Southwestern
5:45: Findlay Prep vs. Christian Faith
7:15: Henry Clay vs. LaRue County
8:30: Lafayette vs. Montgomery County
Nov. 27
12:30: Tates Creek vs. Barbourville (girls)
1:45: Model vs. Western Hills
3: Sayre vs. Ludlow
4:15: University Heights vs. Nicholas County
5:30: Blue Ridge vs. Christian Faith
7: Augusta vs. Wesley Christian
8:15: Silver Grove vs. Piarist

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/11/24/19721...z1efJPo99Q
I've been told that Sheldon Clark is going to play Wesley Christan at home tomorrow at 3
The NCAA has ruled that high school basketball teams cannot compete in the "Rumble in Rupp" scrimmages Friday and Sunday in Rupp Arena, denying one of Kentucky's top targets for next season the chance to play there. The two-day event will instead be played at Lexington Christian Academy.

Anthony Bennett, the No. 7 senior in the country, according to Rivals.com, and a major recruit for Kentucky, will be playing for Findlay Prep Friday at 5:45 p.m.

Rob Blair, CEO of the sponsoring Bleid Sports, sent an email to the coaches of participating teams and to the media informing them of the ruling.

"I regret to inform you that the NCAA has enforced a new rule (enforced on Wednesday, Nov. 23, at 10:05 p.m.) that prohibits non-scholastic events from playing on a collegiate campus or main practice/playing facility," he said.

"Bleid Sports had maintained on two separate occasions official approval to host these events at a collegiate arena (i.e. Rupp Arena). Rupp Arena's attorney also received approval to have these scholastic events at Rupp Arena. Rupp Arena has signed contracts with Bleid Sports, and the deposits for the building have been paid.

"We have fought and will continue to fight the NCAA on this matter. Our lawyer, a man accustomed to fighting the NCAA and winning, will bring some justice on the NCAA.

"However, this does nothing but hurt our schools all around the country playing in collegiate facilities. The NCAA is unjust in cancelling an event 36 hours prior (especially over the Thanksgiving holiday)."

Tates Creek girls' coach Justin Cheatham, whose team was scheduled to play in Rupp on Sunday, said in an email that his "players, as well as countless others across the state, are brokenhearted by the NCAA stepping in at this last minute and stomping on the dreams of kids all across this and neighboring states.

"Rupp Arena is the center of the basketball universe, and to tell these student-athletes just one day before tip-off of the first game that they won't be able to play speaks strongly to the diminished character of the NCAA."

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/11/25/19721...z1ej8OEBmz
This is a shame for the kids, because there is nothing like playing on Rupp Arena's floor and they got shafted. It isn't right at all.
This is terrible for the kids. How could the ncaa wait until now to do this when this event has been scheduled for a couple of months. Shame on the NCAA....
The city of Lexington should fight this ruling, they own the facility, not UK.
NCAA is not at blame here people, granted the timing sucked but it's been known for well over 2 months that events such as could be done away with at venues like Rupp. This was never 100% about the poor little KY kids who will never get a chance to play in Lexington on the big stage. If you are to be mad at anybody then direct toward the outfit who was conducting the event.
What about the the State Tournament?
Stardust Wrote:What about the the State Tournament?

Not going anywhere...it's sanctioned by the KHSAA
LCDAWGS19 Wrote:Not going anywhere...it's sanctioned by the KHSAA

That being said. In order for a Kentucky Team to play in a High School event held in the state. Doesn't that event have to be sanctioned by the KHSAA?
OffTheHook Wrote:That being said. In order for a Kentucky Team to play in a High School event held in the state. Doesn't that event have to be sanctioned by the KHSAA?

If its held in a NCAA venue,then yes.
D IT UP Wrote:NCAA is not at blame here people, granted the timing sucked but it's been known for well over 2 months that events such as could be done away with at venues like Rupp. This was never 100% about the poor little KY kids who will never get a chance to play in Lexington on the big stage. If you are to be mad at anybody then direct toward the outfit who was conducting the event.

You're wrong. It's not been well known. If it had, their lawyers would've caught it, and hell, the NCAA would've told them no earlier. Sounds like they weren't really paying attention. It's a dick move.

Also, I seen someone post above about blaming Cal for this. Anyone that tries to blame Cal because he wanted high-profile schools is just plain stupid...