Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Cats are 5-0, but they're not ready for Heels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After seeing a team as talented as Kentucky play a team as overmatched as Radford, it's a risky proposition making sweeping declarations.

That being said, let this be said: No. 2 Kentucky isn't ready for No. 1 North Carolina.

Not as of Nov. 23, anyway, the day the home-standing Cats rolled over the poor Highlanders 88-40 at Rupp Arena.

Yes, Kentucky held Radford scoreless for the first 10 minutes. Yes, the Cats led 22-2 at one point, outrebounded the visitors by 21 and improved to 5-0 on this young season.

Yet there has been very little in these first five games to make you believe John Calipari's talented but young bunch can handle the talented and more experienced Heels, even if the Saturday, Dec. 3 game is scheduled for the friendly confines of Rupp Arena.

Make no mistake, the Cats' victory over then-No. 12 Kansas in Madison Square Garden last week was nice. After a 28-28 halftime tie, the Cats exhibited flashes of future greatness in a second-half slap-down of Bill Self's Jayhawks.

Before that, the Cats had mauled Marist by 50. And after the Kansas win, Kentucky had no trouble pouncing on Penn State up in Connecticut for what turned out to be an easy Hall of Fame Classic semifinal win.

But the title game the next day was much more of a struggle as Cal's Cats had trouble with Old Dominion's 3-2 zone and relentless physicality.

Luckily, senior Darius Miller rode to the rescue and the Cats pulled out a 10-point win to take the tournament title.

"But after that game, we had guys wondering if they were any good," Calipari said.

To that end, Cal was happy with the Wednesday performance. Egos were massaged.

Terrence Jones scored 17 points and grabbed eight rebounds. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist had nine boards. Rookie point guard Marquis Teague had five assists with just two turnovers. All five of Kentucky's starters scored in double figures.

But even after Kentucky's rout of Radford, there's that feeling of intensity and execution the Cats will need when Roy Williams brings his top-ranked team to town on Dec. 3.

"I've got a lot of work to do with this team," admitted Calipari.
Remember, North Carolina has talent and game experience. The Heels have height in 7-footer Tyler Zeller, length in 6-foot-11 forward John Henson, star-power in Harrison Barnes, and an experienced point guard in Kendall Marshall.
Meanwhile, Kentucky has two more games between now and then to improve.
On Saturday, UK plays Portland as the nightcap of the day/night, football/basketball doubleheader. Next Thursday, Steve Lavin brings a ridiculously young St. John's team to Rupp as part of the SEC/Big East Challenge.

That's two more games for Marquis Teague to stop leaving his feet on passes — "I'm giving him one flub each half," said Calipari — for Anthony Davis to work on his post moves, for Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to work on his outside shot, for Kyle Wiltjer to work on his defense and rebounding.

"He had eight rebounds," said Calipari of Wiltjer, "but he should have had three or four more."

This isn't to say the Cats have been a disappointment to this point. Far from it. Nor is it to say that, just like last year, come March Madness, Kentucky will not have matured into a team capable of knocking off a North Carolina.
But right now, 10 days before what promises to be college basketball's regular-season Game of the Year, Kentucky isn't ready.

Not yet, anyway.
Cats are 5-0 but not ready for Heels

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/11/24/19714...z1ecLyP0gd
I'll admit, at times, it don't look like we're ready. Everybody is focusing on our turnovers and droughts on offense. Which will both be corrected by the time March rolls around. But everybody is also forgetting we have the best defense in the country and UNC has looked like anything but world beaters so far. They only have two players that can create their own shot in Zeller and Barnes. I'm confident that we will suffocate them in the half court, create many turnovers, and do just enough on offense to win by 15.
I would feel much more comfortable about this came if it was a month from now...
but there's just a lot to wonder about these Cats....
and right now their best competition has been the 2nd string in practice.
Portland and St. John's can't possibly prepare these guys for what's to come with UNC.
Teague can get away with his turnovers and sloppy passing right now but when you have a team that is going to make you pay EVERY time it could be bad.

I still say we win........
but I think it's just out of hope lol
Aslan Wrote:I'll admit, at times, it don't look like we're ready. Everybody is focusing on our turnovers and droughts on offense. Which will both be corrected by the time March rolls around. But everybody is also forgetting we have the best defense in the country and UNC has looked like anything but world beaters so far. They only have two players that can create their own shot in Zeller and Barnes. I'm confident that we will suffocate them in the half court, create many turnovers, and do just enough on offense to win by 15.

39-1 will be your post next week....
Cats will do just what they did against Kansas. Come out sluggish but pull out the win by 5.
^I agree, we'll do just enough to win, somebody will have a big game, and a few key plays will go our way.
I feel like IF and that's a big IF, Kentucky can play 2 full halves of aggressive basketball, and can stay out of foul trouble in the paint, they can pull out a win. Henson and Zeller will alter shots, Barnes and Jones will cancel each other out on the offensive end. What it boils down to IMO is Kentucky's outside shooting. I feel UK has the edge from the outside. If Lamb can come out hitting, Miller knocks down some shots, and the Cats can make UNC extend their defense to the perimeter, you will really see UK's driving ability and athleticism come into play. Zeller goes for a double double, and so does Terrence Jones. That being said, if Teague has under 5 turnovers UK wins by 5. If Teague has 5+ turnovers, UNC by 10.
^ If Vargas is counted on, then we lose! Davis has to stay on the floor.
^And he will be. He'll cancel out Henson.
LWC Wrote:Cats will do just what they did against Kansas. Come out sluggish but pull out the win by 5.

Exactly, should be a great overall game. Cats will come out in the 2nd half and get a lead that they will keep to win the game as they have done all year!!
Why do you want us to lose Dusty?

We will not lose this game.
zaga_fan Wrote:I would feel much more comfortable about this came if it was a month from now...
but there's just a lot to wonder about these Cats....
and right now their best competition has been the 2nd string in practice.
Portland and St. John's can't possibly prepare these guys for what's to come with UNC.
Teague can get away with his turnovers and sloppy passing right now but when you have a team that is going to make you pay EVERY time it could be bad.

I still say we win........
but I think it's just out of hope lol

Agreed!!!
Its simple.

40-0
UK will not lose one game at Rupp arena this year, They don't call it a special place for no reason. I mean UNC is a great team dont get me wrong, but IMO Kentucky is just a better one that dont get enough credit, Carolina had their rain its UKs time now, but as of now the wildcats are in their shadow waiting for the day and come Dec 3rd they will roll into Lexington and take their ass whoopin' and like it. Then go back to chapel Hill where they came from.

40-0
comeback_kidxXx Wrote:UK will not lose one game at Rupp arena this year, They don't call it a special place for no reason. I mean UNC is a great team dont get me wrong, but IMO Kentucky is just a better one that dont get enough credit, Carolina had their rain its UKs time now, but as of now the wildcats are in their shadow waiting for the day and come Dec 3rd they will roll into Lexington and take their ass whoopin' and like it. Then go back to chapel Hill where they came from.

40-0

How so? Being ranked #2 is not enough credit? I like the rest of your post, but I'm not quite sure I can follow that statement. There has not been any disrespect by the national media, especially when they are the ones with the votes!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Its simple.

40-0

Best post in the thread. :Thumbs:
LWC Wrote:Cats will do just what they did against Kansas. Come out sluggish but pull out the win by 5.
UNC is not a team that you can come out and be sluggish against in the first half. It will take 2 full halves of aggressive TEAM basketball. If UK gets out and tries to run with the Tar Heels (which I anticipate) they'll struggle. North Carolina has a great transition defense, and I know that UK is fast as a team, but UNC's length will prove to be a huge factor in this game on the defensive side of the ball. I don't feel like Carolina has as many offensive threats as the Cats do but they are much more experienced and much more disciplined from a basketball standpoint. They won't let an early lead slip away as easily as a very young and not as star powered Jayhawk team did a week ago.
^
Thats a good post.

Is it possible that we'll lose to Carolina? Sure it is. Carolina has every right to be ranked number 1 at this time. Atleast UK and it fans has a chance to take that over in a couple of weeks.
I think in order for us to win this game, we are going to have a Jodie Meeks type performance from one player. Its what will set us apart from Carolina, cause believe me when i say Carolina will get there points in that game and will play with tremendous chemistry that we wont see until then.
IMO that one player has to be Jones or Davis. We dont have a dominate big man. We play a former wingman inside and im not sure he's ready for the play of Zeller and or Henson. Either way its going to be a breakout or shut down game for the Davis kid. The other most important thing we have to improve on is our PG play. Teague is no where near the level that Wall and Knight were at this time and turns the ball over way to much. I hope Lamb takes games over when Teague is struggling, but dont worry, he'll get his act together.
It takes time, and were getting there......lets just hope we get it all together by the NC game.

40-0, the only thing that matters.
Couldn't agree more. IMO Davis and Henson will cancel each other out statistically. What I'm really anxious to see is Jones and Zeller going at it. If this game isn't up and down the floor all night long I look for Wiltjer to log some big minutes. Vargas is Vargas and can't hold his own with any of Carolina's big men. But Jones has to have a big game and Wiltjer (if he gets much time) needs to really be aggressive on the glass, or UNC will win the rebounding battle in landslide fashion. Teague has to play under control, Lamb needs to be hitting to open up the inside game, and the post play has to be on their top game to open up outside kicks for shooting opportunities. Basically UK has to play a COMPLETE game in every aspect to beat this UNC squad.
^
If Davis and Jones get in foul trouble, it could be a long night, however on the flip side, if Zeller and Henson get in foul trouble, UK could win by 30.
Any ideas on starting lineups or matchups?
If UK has a shot at being #1 for the season, this is a must win..
I don't see the Cats losing this however..
Under Cal we have not been beaten on UK's floor..
And I say, it remains that way after Dec. 3rd..
If we can beat them in the tourney when it counts, and we had Jorts at the 5, we sure as hell can beat em' with Davis at the 5.

Cats by 10

UK - 73
UNC - 63
What Jorts brought to the table was interior defense against a post player. We do not have that at this time. Zeller could dominate us inside. He is the difference in the game. Game will shift when he isn't on the floor.The game will be played more halfcourt than we believe. UK must show more patience instead of shooting the first shot given. I would like to say UK wins but the advantage goes to UNC by 8.
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist will have a big game against UNC... and Cats win.
I don't care what happens, who we have to play or if we come out sluggish...WE WILL NOT LOSE THIS GAME. And yes, you can come out sluggish against UNC. Have any of you that's so scared of them watched them play? THEY'RE the ones that's not ready for us!
If it was in Chapel Hill I'd take UNC, if it was neutral I'd take UNC, but UNC will not come in to Rupp and beat us. By the end of the season I look for us to be pretty much equal, but I agree at this point UNC definitely has looked more consistent.
^ They have looked more cosistent because of experience. I've said all along that UK has the best talent. But its games like this, early in the season, that will give the Cats troubles due to the lack of time together in games like this when these young men have not played that long together. I'm not saying the Cats can't win this game, but if I was putting money on it, hmmm - I'd probably go the way of experience over talent. In March, my opinion will relate back to how the Cats handle this game.
Stardust Wrote:^ They have looked more cosistent because of experience. I've said all along that UK has the best talent. But its games like this, early in the season, that will give the Cats troubles due to the lack of time together in games like this when these young men have not played that long together. I'm not saying the Cats can't win this game, but if I was putting money on it, hmmm - I'd probably go the way of experience over talent. In March, my opinion will relate back to how the Cats handle this game.

Yeah, I would too if it wasn't in Rupp.
I feel compelled to point out that ODU is better than anyone UNC has played
so far, let alone Kansas. So how in any way is UNC "ready for the Cats"?

I also must point out that the way to cause UK trouble is to slow it
down, pack it in and try to grind it out. Dean Smith doesn't coach
UNC any more, and Williams doesn't play that way. Trying to will
work against the Heels as much as it hurts the Cats.
RoShamBo Wrote:If it was in Chapel Hill I'd take UNC, if it was neutral I'd take UNC, but UNC will not come in to Rupp and beat us. By the end of the season I look for us to be pretty much equal, but I agree at this point UNC definitely has looked more consistent.

By the end of the season I would be highly suprised if UNC can stay within
double digits on a neutral floor. Somehow people have decided,
with zero evidence to support it, that a stop gap PG is now a mid
1st rd pick for UNC. And that Henson, a poor man's Yannick Noah,
is now Kevin Garnett or something. Henson and Zeller
are big guys who WILL and DO run, but despite the raves,
they were guys who weren't threats outside of transition.
If that's changed then I say PROVE IT.
Pages: 1 2