Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Courier-Journal Preseason Rankings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here are The Courier-Journal’s preseason rankings for boys’ basketball, based on a statewide survey of coaches:

COACHES’ TOP 25 TEAMS
(First-place votes in parentheses)
Team Region ’10-’11
1. Trinity (72) Seventh 21-8
2. Ballard (9) Seventh 29-4
3. Scott County (13) 11th 23-6
4. Bullitt East (5) Sixth 30-6
5. Rowan County (1) 16th 30-6
6. Pleasure Ridge Park Sixth 21-9
7. Moore (1) Sixth 23-7
8. Dixie Heights (1) Ninth 29-4
9. Henry Clay 11th 20-11
10. Madison Central 11th 22-10
11. Lexington Catholic 11th 27-8
12. Eastern Seventh 33-3
13. Muhlenberg County (1) Third 24-6
14. Jeffersontown (1) Sixth 25-7
15. Perry County Central 14th 25-6
16. Central Seventh 15-10
17. Glasgow Fourth 18-8
18. Marshall County First 28-7
19. Pulaski County 12th 26-7
20. Bryan Station 11th 14-14
21. Montgomery County 10th 15-15
22. Bardstown Fifth 24-5
23. Christian County Second 25-9
24. North Hardin Fifth 17-12
25. Hopkinsville Second 16-7

COACHES’ TOP 25 PLAYERS
(First-place votes in parentheses)
Player, school Ht. Yr. PPG College choice
1. Derek Willis, Bullitt East (23) 6-9 Jr. 14.0 N/A
2. Tamron Manning, Scott County (25) 6-4 Sr. 16.5 Marshall
3. Darryl Hicks, Trinity (24)* 6-4 Jr. 14.3 N/A
4. Adam Wing, Rowan County (2) 6-4 Sr. 14.4 Evansville
5. Mekale McKay, Moore (7) 6-6 Sr. 14.5 Texas-El Paso
6. Jay Johnson, Woodford County (3)^ 6-7 Sr. 18.9 Tennessee Tech
7. Quentin Snider, Ballard (1) 6-0 So. 12.7 Louisville
8. Taylor Barnette, Lexington Christian 6-3 Sr. 17.0 Central Florida
9. Nathan Dieudonne, Trinity (1) 6-7 Sr. 11.6 Boston Univ.
10. Lemon Gregory, Muhlenberg County (6) 6-9 Sr. 11.0 N/A
11. Jaylen Beckham, Bryan Station (1)# 6-2 Sr. 16.0 N/A
12. Matt Day, Buckhorn 6-7 Sr. 23.6 N/A
13. Omar Prewitt, Montgomery County 6-4 Jr. 19.2 N/A
14. Brandon Hatton, Dixie Heights 6-2 So. 18.5 N/A
15. Desmond Dorsey, Jeffersontown (1) 6-2 Sr. 9.8 N/A
16. Charles Foster, Trinity 6-1 Sr. 11.4 Morehead State
17. Devon Rowan, North Oldham 6-7 Sr. 12.6 N/A
18. Dominique Hawkins, Madison Central 6-1 Jr. 17.0 N/A
19. Max Clemons, Pleasure Ridge Park 6-4 Sr. 12.6 Bellarmine
20. Jackson Davis, Lafayette 6-7 So. 14.8 N/A
21. Isaiah Ivey, Scott County 6-2 Sr. 15.2 Gardner-Webb
22. Quentin Ellis, Glasgow 5-10 Sr. 11.1 N/A
23. Jordan Brewer, Bardstown 6-2 Sr. 15.4 N/A
24. D.J. Townsend, Rowan County 5-11 Sr. 14.0 N/A
25. Trey Grundy, Henry Clay 6-6 So. 8.0 N/A
* – Did not play last season; stats from freshman year at Shelby County.
^- Out until at least Christmas with a knee injury.
# – Did not play last season; stats from sophomore year at Lexington Catholic.
Note: Central’s D’Angelo Russell received two first-place votes and was ranked No. 6 but has transferred to Montverde (Fla.) Academy.

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/khs/201...-rankings/
Four sophomores on the list.
Wheres all the transfer players?

You better hide this from the PCC fans before they see that the Jaysean kid is not on here
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Wheres all the transfer players?

You better hide this from the PCC fans before they see that the Jaysean kid is not on here

I didn't expect him to be on here due to the unknown status of his eligibility at the time these rankings were made. I'm sure as the season goes along he will play his way onto that list. Good to see my Commodores at 15 in the state. Also good to see the voters giving big Matt Day from Buckhorn some love.
I think 1-3 is a toss-up. I expect two of those three teams playing in the finals at Rupp!
I cant wait to see how this changes after about the middle of december. With all the talented transfers like east ridge and the paige kid from pcc it could really shake it up.
With Jaysean playing...

IMO:

Perry Central moves up to #8

Jaysean Paige #5 or 6....
7 of these teams and 10 of the top 25 players will be in action this Friday at Sheldon Clark High School.
Good lists.
ekff Wrote:With Jaysean playing...

IMO:

Perry Central moves up to #8

Jaysean Paige #5 or 6....

If ekff admits to that....
then Jaysean is definitely legit lol
Glasgow should be cream of the crop in 4th but don't count out BG, Central and Russell County and Grayson County will make some noise in the 3rd with their new transfer. Should be an interesting season in Central and South Central KY.
zaga_fan Wrote:If ekff admits to that....
then Jaysean is definitely legit lol

Yep...

I've been on the court with a lot of GREAT high school basketball players, besides Rondo and Josh Smith, I don't know if I've played with or against a more talented player before....

The sky is the limit for Jaysean... He does have some passing and court vision problems but thats for Braxton to do...
Stardust Wrote:I think 1-3 is a toss-up. I expect two of those three teams playing in the finals at Rupp!

That would put Scott County in the finals because Trinity and Ballard are in the same region.
From what ive seen and this is my opinion: Paige is as good or better than any player on this list. His upside may not be like willis or hicks but this kid can flat out score buckets and guard as good as anyone in this state. He is a great addition to a team that already has some great young talent.
rojas Wrote:That would put Scott County in the finals because Trinity and Ballard are in the same region.

I can see SC there. I think Ballard is slightly better than the Rocks, but at that time, it will come down to injuries
Stardust Wrote:I can see SC there. I think Ballard is slightly better than the Rocks, but at that time, it will come down to injuries

I think the CJ has them in the right order. Trinity has to be #1 with all those D1 kids. Ballard is loaded from top to bottom. And Scott Co basically has the same team as last year except Shotwell. I think how well Shotwell and Gilbert play will have a lot to do with SC's success. We know Ivey and Manning are players. SC also had a great young player transfer to Henry Clay.
I would not be so quick to put Scott County in the finals, it will come down to the Tournament draw and as in years past, one side of that bracket could be top loaded with great teams....