Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Casey Co. 2012
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
LIBERTY — The Casey County girls came up a game short of another trip to the Sweet Sixteen a year ago.
But with senior Megan¿Pittman healthy and leading the way, coach Randy Salyers’ team is gearing up for another run at the state tournament with a younger, but still talented squad.
Pittman, a 5-11 center and the only senior on the team, missed more than half the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament, but came back to average 13 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.0 blocked shots in 13 games. She said a week ago that she feels 100 percent, which is good news for Salyers.
“I think she will be one of the best players, if not the best player in the 12th Region,”¿Salyers said of Pittman, who has scored 1,800 points and pulled down 1,000 rebounds in her career. “She will draw a lot of attention from opposing teams. So for us to be successful, our other kids are going to have to be ready to knock down some jump shots when she is double-teamed.”
Salyers knows what he’s going to get out of Pittman, and he has a veteran point guard in junior Jasmine Johnson. The 5-5 Johnson averaged 8.0 points per game and had 40 assists and 49 steals.
“Megan and Jasmine Johnson are seasoned veterans for this team, with state tournament experience. So I hope their leadership guides us far into the regional tourney,”¿Salyers said.
Casey did lose four seniors from last year’s 25-7 team, led by leading scorer and rebounder Nicole Coffman, and Salyers is counting on a young group to step in and fill those roles.
Freshmen guards Lakken Miller averaged 6.0 points and 2.0 rebounds per game and Christian Terry averaged 4.0 points and 2.0 boards. Junior forward Katie Douglas played in 28 games and sophomore Sarah Beard played in 20 games a year ago.
As usual, Casey is not shying away from competition, opening the season at Marion County on Nov. 28. The Rebels will also play in the Lexington Catholic tournament and Mercer County’s holiday tournament, as well as several other non-regional games against traditional state powers.
“This may be one of our toughest schedules we have had in a while,”¿Salyers said. “But if we can stay healthy, I tink we can contend for a regional title. We will need to do a better job of team defense as far as when to help and when not to help. We need to get more aggressive on the defensive end. This team needs to pay hard every trip down the floor.”

Keys to the Season
The biggest issue for Casey is that the Rebels are young. Pittman has been a mainstay and Johnson started 31 of the Rebels’ 32 games.
But there are a combined zero starts for the other returnees, and only Miller and Terry played in more than 20 games. So getting his young team up to speed will be a the biggest challenge.

Player to Watch
Johnson played significant minutes on the Casey team that reached the state semifinals her freshman year, and she knows how to run a team. She will need to average more than eight points per game however, and cut down on her turnovers (80), but she can be that complement to Pittman the Rebels need.

Top Newcomer
Terry played in 30 games off the bench as an eighth-grader.

Biggest Concern
Aside from Pittman, the Rebels do not have a proven second scorer. But Salyers said this year’s team may end up having a better percentage from the floor.
“I think we will be a better shooting team from behind the arc, which should help,” he said. “I think we will have a good inside-outside game.”

Top Returning Players
Sarah Beard, 5-4 So. G, 1 ppg.
Katie Douglas, 5-9 Jr. F, 2 ppg, 1 rpg.
Jasmine Johnson, 5-5 Jr. G, 8 ppg.
Lakken Miller, 5-8 Fr. G, p 6 ppg, 2 rpg.
Megan Pittman, 5-11 Sr. C, 13 ppg, 8 rpg.

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/spor...4290.story
[Image: 147480120-16071046.jpg]

Casey County¿s Megan Pittman is 100 percent back after missing more than half of last year with a knee injury
Megan Pittman is the best player in the 12th Region - hands down. I hope she can stay healthy this season.
I watched Casey play in the Etown Hoop Fest today they took on Manual #1 in the state and let me tell you they gave them all they wanted. If Casey's outside shot had been falling they would have upset them. At the half Casey was up one. At the end of the third Casey down 2 they ended up losing by 14 but they fouled at the end. Casey is for real they are much better on defense this year alot faster and Pittman looked good and Johnson was blazing fast with the ball and the Miller girl handled the ball well under pressure. I think if Casey starts knocking down threes they going to be a very tough out. I think they are a top 25 team. Hey just my opinion.
GreenHornet Wrote:I watched Casey play in the Etown Hoop Fest today they took on Manual #1 in the state and let me tell you they gave them all they wanted. If Casey's outside shot had been falling they would have upset them. At the half Casey was up one. At the end of the third Casey down 2 they ended up losing by 14 but they fouled at the end. Casey is for real they are much better on defense this year alot faster and Pittman looked good and Johnson was blazing fast with the ball and the Miller girl handled the ball well under pressure. I think if Casey starts knocking down threes they going to be a very tough out. I think they are a top 25 team. Hey just my opinion.

Wow. That's amazing to hear. Thanks the info.
Casey is a legit top 15. Manual only made 3 of 22 3pt shots. All State PG April Wilson was 0-8 3pt and 0-10 overall (a rare bad game for her). Manual also had 3 of top 10 players not there including 1 starter.
Who was missing for Manual?