Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ft. Thomas Highlands- 49, Covington Catholic- 14
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final

sounded like a thriller
Birds are soooooooooooooooooo good.
Even with a few key players out, Highlands flat out whipped Covcath. Covcath and their fans did come in all chipper and ready to stand toe to toe. I have to give them credit for that. However, they got flat out manhandled in the second half. They're still several years away from beating Highlands.
Running clock at state?
Running clock the next 2 games.
again!
toussaints Wrote:Running clock at state?

Don't get ahead of yourself.

Take it one game at a time.

Next Friday at Lexington Catholic is all that matters right now.

Go Birds!!
Wideleft01 Wrote:Running clock the next 2 games.

see post #7
This was a close game for a little while.
LWC Wrote:This was a close game for a little while.

It was, but Highlands made better halftime adjustments. Penalties continue to be a problem for the Birds.
Can you dig it? Wrote:It was, but Highlands made better halftime adjustments. Penalties continue to be a problem for the Birds.

As does the kicking game!
Highlands is just on another level right now.
Theres not another school in KY (besides the privates like Trinity) who can compare to the level Highlands has played at for the last 5 years.
It may be one of the best public school runs in the entire nation.
Highlands actually made a lot of mistakes tonight. Especially in the first half and in the kicking game. If Sheehan plays this may have been a 70pt beatdown.
Bluebirds to face Lexington Catholic in state semifinals

The game plan for Highlands in Friday's Class 4A regional championship game against visiting Covington Catholic was to let University of Kentucky-bound quarterback Patrick Towles throw the football the majority of the time.

When CovCath proved effective stopping the pass during a scoreless first quarter, Highlands coach Dale Mueller altered the plan and the Bluebirds went to a run-based attack. From there, Highlands ran all over the Colonels while amassing 352 rushing yards on the way to a 49-14 victory.

"We came in wanting to throw it 80 to 90 percent of the time," said Mueller, whose Bluebirds totaled 594 yards. "But we stuck with running the ball because we were having more success with it."

The unbeaten Bluebirds (13-0) gashed the Colonels (10-3) for 232 second-half rushing yards while beating CovCath for the seventh time in a row and earning their 38th consecutive home win.

In a rematch of a 42-37 regular-season day-time thriller at CovCath, the Bluebirds took all the drama out of Friday's contest by running to daylight. They went predominantly to the run beginning in the second quarter, when they scored 21 points to take control. Towles, who finished an uncharacteristic 11-of-23-passing for 218 yards with a touchdown to Luke Turner, and tailback Jake True both ran for 106 yards. Towles ran for three scores and True scored twice. Colin Seidl added 83 on 10.4 yards per carry.

"We wanted to pass but we wound up pounding it inside," True said. "We can run the ball, too."

The Bluebirds will travel to Lexington Catholic for next week's state semifinal against the Knights (11-2), who beat Boyle County, 10-7. Mueller is not yet up to speed on LexCath, for good reason. "I've been studying CovCath tape all year," the coach said. "I'm going to relax a little bit."

There was no relaxation Friday for the Colonels, who couldn't get their ground game going while totaling 82 rushing yards. Quarterback Blake Bir led CovCath offensively with 112 yards on 9-of-22 passing. Tailback Gabe Gray rushed 15 times for 66. The Colonels were held to 194 total yards.

"When you can't stop the run, it makes for a long night," CovCath coach David Wirth said. "But I'm still proud of my team."

Twins Devin and Drake Bruns were the key run-stoppers for Highlands. They combined for 11 tackles, four for losses. "The last game, our safeties played off a bit," said Drake Bruns, a University of Cincinnati recruit. "But this game, we sat on the run. If you stop their run, you stop their game."

It took both offenses time to get revved up. CovCath was limited to 28 first-quarter yards. Highlands scored first on the opening play of the second quarter to cap a 73-yard drive. Towles scored on a 3-yard keeper after beginning the drive with a 40-yard completion to tight end Ian McGurn. CovCath safety Brady Reese blocked Carter New's extra-point attempt for a Bluebirds 6-0 lead.

Highlands forced a punt on the next CovCath series and marched 60 yards for a score. True finished the 10-play drive with a 3-yard run. Bir led CovCath on a 71-yard drive that was capped by his 14-yard touchdown pass to Mitch McDowell. Evan Talkers' kick pulled the Colonels to within 13-7.

The teams traded punts then Highlands went on a 74-yard drive for the half's final score. Towles hit paydirt on a 18-yard keeper. Zach Harris' two-point conversion run gave the Bluebirds a 21-7 halftime lead. Highlands outgained the Colonels, 268-96 in the opening half while holding CovCath to 25 rushing yards.

CovCath scored on the opening drive of the second half with a Bir 24-yard TD pass to Michael Best, but Highlands responded by scoring 28 unanswered points.

Covington Catholic 0 7 7 0 --14
Highlands 0 21 14 14 -- 49

H-Towles 3 run (kick blocked)
H-True 3 run (New kick)
C-McDowell 14 pass from Bir (Talkers kick)
H-Towles 18 run (Harris run)
C-Best 24 pass from Bir (Talkers kick)
H-Turner 9 pass from Towles (New kick)
H-Towles 18 run (New kick)
H-True 2 run (New kick)
H-Seidl 27 run (New kick)

Records: H 13-0, C 10-3.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/201...n-unbeaten
Some video from Channel 5, WLWT

http://www.wlwt.com/r-video/29811264/detail.html
Wideleft01 Wrote:Highlands actually made a lot of mistakes tonight. Especially in the first half and in the kicking game. If Sheehan plays this may have been a 70pt beatdown.

This game made you realize how good Sheehan was. He would have made a big difference in this game IMO.
Another gold star for me. My comments from the prediction thread for this game.

"Highlands makes more (and better) adjustments than CCH in the rematch. Going to have to go with Highlands 42 CovCath 20."

Was only off by a TD in both directions. Did anyone get any closer?

Yeah, I was right on the internet! My life is complete.
CCH brought a very nice crowd to last nights game. It was SRO. I do have to give CCH fans the award for most whiskey bottles left in the stands after a game, the Catholic crowd likes to drink!
Hope the Cov Cath student who was taken away in the ambulance is OK, never like to see that!
sstack Wrote:CCH brought a very nice crowd to last nights game. It was SRO. I do have to give CCH fans the award for most whiskey bottles left in the stands after a game, the Catholic crowd likes to drink!

And they drink the good stuff...Woodford Reserve next to me!
sstack Wrote:CCH brought a very nice crowd to last nights game. It was SRO. I do have to give CCH fans the award for most whiskey bottles left in the stands after a game, the Catholic crowd likes to drink!

haha.....During last seasons playoff game at JC, I think it was mentioned that Highlands QB coach kinda likes to partake in that (on the job) himself.Confusednicker:
Blau Vogel Wrote:And they drink the good stuff...Woodford Reserve next to me!

Now I see how the private schools get all those kids.

In all seriousness...I don't feel too bad about JC's performance last week. I think the other teams left are going to look just as futile as we did against HHS this season.
So, where does this HHS team rank in comparison to the previous four years???
Congrats Highlands
No surprise here. Told a friend at a local watering hole who was heading to the game that HHS would win by at least 3 TDs. He didn't want to hear any of it..
Kentucky commitment Patrick Towles rushed for 106 yards and three touchdowns and passed for another to lead the host Bluebirds in the quarterfinals. Towles finished with 242 passing yards. Highlands (12-0) will face Lexington Catholic next week.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/11/19/19651...z1eAL90Qy1
Pages: 1 2