Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: (Rumor) Urban Meyer to Ohio State
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
lots of reports going around that he's gonna be the new head coach of the buckeyes
What!!!???
Word is Meyer will be head coach, and his staff will include Chris Speilman and Kirk Herbstreit

Big loss for ESPN lol
^Haha
not a Hugh surprise
He's the perfect choice for the job. Ohio guy, successful at last gig, currently unemployed
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2011/...-buckeyes/

SportsbyBrooks.com is reporting that multiple sources close to the Ohio State football program have confirmed that Urban Meyer is assembling a coaching staff after agreeing to become the next head football coach of the Buckeyes.
An excerpt from the SportsbyBrooks story:
[INDENT]The deal between Meyer and Ohio State was consumated in principle earlier this week in Columbus but not signed. It includes a multi-year contract that will make Meyer once again one of college football’s highest paid coaches.
In additon to Meyer’s generous compensation package, sources said a major factor in the coach’s decision to agree to take the position was the school promising him the budget to assemble what is expected to become the highest-paid assistant coaching staff in college football history.
Of that staff, sources indicate Meyer’s intial plan is to retain current Ohio State head football coach Luke Fickell and current Buckeye wide receivers coach Stan Drayton.
Meyer also aims to add Chris Spielman, Kirk Herbstreit, current North Carolina State linebackers coach Jon Tenuta and current LSU offensive line coach Greg Studwara to his Ohio State staff.
[/INDENT]The site also reports that Meyer was one of two candidates Ohio State contacted during its hiring process. Jon Gruden – brother of Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden – was also approached by the school, but declined interest, according to the report.
i knew this would happen, but didnt he just tell Arizona,he didnt want to coach right now, until kids was out of school..
I haven't seen anything about this. Really don't buy it at the moment either.
^ME either!
I will believe it when I see it.
vundy33 Wrote:I haven't seen anything about this. Really don't buy it at the moment either.

MisterPerfect Wrote:^ME either!

Jarons Wrote:I will believe it when I see it.

There were rumors going out Thursday night about this but they were false rumors, however, this was being reported by Sports Xpress (Facebook) who was getting there reports from other sources but I just checked ESPN and haven't found anything about it so It's been listed as a Rumor until confirmed
I am not surprised by this. I think he has been waiting on this oppertunity.
^
I believe it now.
IMO, it was the reason for leaving Florida as Im sure Ohio State contacted him and told him to wait on it because Tressell would definitely be gone, because if you remember that happened at the same time the investigations started and he knew it was coming.
But its good though. Now, he'll be on the recieving end of SEC ass whoopins.
And if he does go there it will be the Big10's only chance at ever winning another title over the SEC. He will change the landscape of that conference.
lol, I'll never believe that Meyer left Florida for a Ohio State job that couldn't be guaranteed to him. SEC is just dominant, and will be for the forseeable future.

I wouldn't mind seeing Meyer back in coaching, even though I like him as an ESPN guy. He'd have OSU back winning again quick.
I don't think he left Florida for Ohio State. i think he was afraid of being at Florida when they started to suck, like they do this year. He wanted to go out while he was still king there. I do think OSu was a dream job for him and now it is his.
I love it. I hope it is true.
Being a huge Buckeye fan my whole life i couldnt be more happy for this to happen! But it would be hard to see a deal this great be true. Herbstreet will NOT leave the booth for an assitant coaching job, even if it is his Alma Mater. I love the idea of keeping Fickle though. He just wasnt quite ready, id love to see him as a coach in the future.
I hate OSU with a passion, both their basketball and football programs, but I like Coach Meyer.

Here ya go...http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...ources-say
According to ESPN.com there talking and there's strong interest on both sides but there is no contract and likely won't be any announcement until the end of the regular season
I like Urban Meyer, I HATE Ohio State! I sure won't root for them now that Urban goes there!
Meyer left Florida because it was becoming more stressful to recruit and coach there. He wanted to spend more time with his family and enjoy life, and even though you make big bucks in the SEC, that's a 24/7/365 job. Remember he was going to retire before they played Cincinnati in the Sugar Bowl, but the school got on their knees and begged him to come back.
^ Great post!
He'll be making WAYYY more money coaching at OSU than he will at Florida. Ohio States income is leaps and bounds above Floridas. They offered him a 7 Year- 35 Million$ contract with unlimited signing money for assistants. We arent going cheap...at all
if this is true, ill give him 3 years and he will have another national championship under his belt. hes a great coach
Sounds like he is going.
Even if he does, i dont see him having success at Ohio State as he did in Florida.
I hate Ohio State with a passion. My brother from columbus just got here for Thanksgiving. After saying that Urban will have success at OSU. he will bring in recruits simply because of who he is. It is an easier road to hoe in the Big10 than SEC. Win out and he is in. No Big10 championship game, no SEC schedule. As was said the Money is there and so are the athletes. I am a Florida and Urban fan. I do not blame him, it is a win win. The big10 is a cake walk to the BCS championship compared to the SEC with all the same TV coverage and fan support.
^well said
Crossbones Wrote:I hate Ohio State with a passion. My brother from columbus just got here for Thanksgiving. After saying that Urban will have success at OSU. he will bring in recruits simply because of who he is. It is an easier road to hoe in the Big10 than SEC. Win out and he is in. No Big10 championship game, no SEC schedule. As was said the Money is there and so are the athletes. I am a Florida and Urban fan. I do not blame him, it is a win win. The big10 is a cake walk to the BCS championship compared to the SEC with all the same TV coverage and fan support.

Greatpost and spot on!
Pages: 1 2