Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Virgie 32 Pikeville 75(boys) Finals of Pike County Pre-season Tournament
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pikeville has a very good team. Virgie needs to get back to work.
Congrats guys! Keeping working hard. I can't wait to catch a game. Sounds like a pretty good group. Always good to be able to compete/beat Virgie.

Keep it up! HAIL PIKEVILLE!
Good Job Eagles, Now let get back to work and keep on improving
They don't deserve it after the tasteless, classless act they pulled against Kimper.
bball_fan Wrote:They don't deserve it after the tasteless, classless act they pulled against Kimper.
Were you there? Unless you actually saw the game against Kimper, you don't know. I wasn't there, so I'm not going to judge them. It's a pre-season tourney, used to get better. Can't expect them to go 4 corners offense from the 1st qtr on, they have to shoot sometime.
PHSForever Wrote:Were you there? Unless you actually saw the game against Kimper, you don't know. I wasn't there, so I'm not going to judge them. It's a pre-season tourney, used to get better. Can't expect them to go 4 corners offense from the 1st qtr on, they have to shoot sometime.

I do not have to be there to know what went on was pathetic. I've coached for years now, and I have even coached against Kemper with a team that could have beat them 100 to 2. Fact is, you jump up early by 20 points to end the game and then you do things to run the clock so you do not embarrass the kids. You keep talking about what should they have done, they should have won the game, yes like they did. But their is a difference between winning with class and winning without it. What would you're attitude be if you was one of Kemper's players? One of Kemper's parents? Fact is you do whatever you must to keep from beating a team by 98 points! You do not trap the entire game.
bball_fan Wrote:I do not have to be there to know what went on was pathetic. I've coached for years now, and I have even coached against Kemper with a team that could have beat them 100 to 2. Fact is, you jump up early by 20 points to end the game and then you do things to run the clock so you do not embarrass the kids. You keep talking about what should they have done, they should have won the game, yes like they did. But their is a difference between winning with class and winning without it. What would you're attitude be if you was one of Kemper's players? One of Kemper's parents? Fact is you do whatever you must to keep from beating a team by 98 points! You do not trap the entire game.
If they trapped the entire game, I agree, that's wrong and pathetic. I've coached for years as well, all of them youth, and I would have dropped back in half court defense and a zone, most likely would have went to a slow down game, BUT, I would not have had my kids lay down, either. I really hope things get better for Kimper. Like I said, I wasn't there, so I'm not going to pass judgement.
I will pass judgment. If Jerry Green does not do something about this I will be surprised and disappointed. Pikeville has good group of kids so this is all on the Coach. Never excuse to beat a team 100-2 I don't care if they were playing 1st grade kids.
I know for fact that in years past that Johnsons Central, Virgie and Betsy Layne could have put up similar numbers against better teams but refused to do so. Virgie never scored over 70 points last year.
I guess you also consider Cal as tasteless after he won by 85 last night.
X Factor Wrote:I guess you also consider Cal as tasteless after he won by 85 last night.

Do I personally agree with beating a team by 85 points, absolutely not. I will not defend it but the game in college and in middle school is much different. You have a shot clock in college which makes you shoot the ball, in middle school you can hold the ball for two or three minutes at a time. In high school even, I remember watching a Shelby Valley Regional Tournament game where they received the tip in overtime and held the ball the entire overtime period. Thats something that cannot happen in college. Also, a division 1 NCAA college basketball program, not just Kentucky but in general, are going to have talented players from the five starters to the last man on the bench when you are playing a program thats no where near D1. A grade school team that is really deep might go 8 deep. So I do not agree with what happened in the Kentucky game. I feel in a 40 minute game where you totally out class the other team, you could have scored more than 125 points which in its self is still ridicules. I mean Pikeville scored 100 in only 24 minutes.
new o Wrote:I know for fact that in years past that Johnsons Central, Virgie and Betsy Layne could have put up similar numbers against better teams but refused to do so. Virgie never scored over 70 points last year.

Agreed!!

I have been on both sides, giving out and taking some beatings, we never scored 100 and it was possible many times.

If what I hear is true that they were not pressing, but running a half court trap for almost all the game......something should be done.
kai Wrote:I will pass judgment. If Jerry Green does not do something about this I will be surprised and disappointed. Pikeville has good group of kids so this is all on the Coach. Never excuse to beat a team 100-2 I don't care if they were playing 1st grade kids.

Get ready to be surprised and disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!!