Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Large asteroid zipping close to Earth on Tuesday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote: CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — An asteroid bigger than an aircraft carrier will dart between the Earth and moon on Tuesday — the closest encounter by such a huge rock in 35 years.
But scientists say not to worry. It won't hit.
"We're extremely confident, 100 percent confident, that this is not a threat," said the manager of NASA's Near Earth Object Program, Don Yeomans. "But it is an opportunity."
The asteroid named 2005 YU55 is being watched by ground antennas as it approaches from the direction of the sun. The last time it came within so-called shouting distance was 200 years ago.
Closest approach will occur at 6:28 p.m. EST Tuesday when the asteroid passes within 202,000 miles of Earth. That's closer than the roughly 240,000 miles between the Earth and the moon.
The moon will be just under 150,000 miles from the asteroid at the time of closest approach.
Both the Earth and moon are safe — "this time," said Jay Melosh, professor of Earth and atmospheric sciences at Purdue University

http://news.yahoo.com/large-asteroid-zip...02879.html
....I don't wanna close my eyes, I don't wanna fall asleep cause I miss you baby..
^
lol

I know the rippling effects it would have if the moon was ever gone, for example our oceans would turn it to one big tsunami because its the moons gravity pullig the oceans back and forth however, i wonder what we would do in these situations.
What kind of effect would an astroid of this size have if it landed on land instead of water?
I was hoping we'd be able to see it...no telescope for me though.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
lol

I know the rippling effects it would have if the moon was ever gone, for example our oceans would turn it to one big tsunami because its the moons gravity pullig the oceans back and forth however, i wonder what we would do in these situations.
What kind of effect would an astroid of this size have if it landed on land instead of water?

A crater about 4 miles wide, 2000 feet deep. It would suck.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
lol

If the moon was gone, we wouldn't be here long. There is no human survival if the moon leaves. As a matter of fact, the moon orbits further away from the Earth more every year. I think it's at a rate of about 3 inches per year. It will be gone out of our gravity range at some point, but scientists think that point will be about 2.5 billion years from now. If this asteroid hit the earth, it would leave a crater 4 miles across, and 1700 feet deep, according to the article. It would be catastrophic, energy wise.
TheRealVille Wrote:If the moon was gone, we wouldn't be here long. There is no human survival if the moon leaves. As a matter of fact, the moon orbits further away from the Earth more every year. I think it's at a rate of about 3 inches per year. It will be gone out of our gravity range at some point, but scientists think that point will be about 2.5 billion years from now. If this asteroid hit the earth, it would leave a crater 4 miles across, and 1700 feet deep, according to the article. It would be catastrophic, energy wise.

Yea i remember that from Astronomy back when i was in college.

It was amazing how the Earth would do without the moon.
There woluld be no life without the moon.
In a way the moon is just as important as the sun.
vundy33 Wrote:A crater about 4 miles wide, 2000 feet deep. It would suck.

damn.
Wouldnt that be better than landing in the ocean where it could cause a tsunami or isn this crater not big enough?