Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Would Low Gas Prices Help the Economy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What you guys think?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:What you guys think?

I think lower diesel fuel prices would be more stimulant.
Of course lower gasoline prices would help the economy but this administration does not want lower gasoline prices. When prices are low, it is all but impossible to get people to buy hybrids and electric vehicles. I also agree with what Bob said about lower diesel prices. Low energy prices, including utility rates, have a very positive rippling effect in the economy.

Unfortunately, the strategy of this administration has been to block domestic production of conventional energy of all kinds and to place American companies, as well as American workers, at a competitive disadvantage with their foreign counterparts. Wind and solar power cannot compete with energy from coal, oil, gas, or nuclear sources.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Of course lower gasoline prices would help the economy but this administration does not want lower gasoline prices. When prices are low, it is all but impossible to get people to buy hybrids and electric vehicles. I also agree with what Bob said about lower diesel prices. Low energy prices, including utility rates, have a very positive rippling effect in the economy.

Unfortunately, the strategy of this administration has been to block domestic production of conventional energy of all kinds and to place American companies, as well as American workers, at a competitive disadvantage with their foreign counterparts. Wind and solar power cannot compete with energy from coal, oil, gas, or nuclear sources.

What of supply and demand? Eventually if everyone can get a hybrid would gas prices not lower?
It would help mine!!!!
Wildcatk23 Wrote:What of supply and demand? Eventually if everyone can get a hybrid would gas prices not lower?
Demand does not end on our beaches. The overwhelming majority of people in this world are not going to pay a premium to drive a hybrid as long as the total cost of ownership of driving one is much higher than driving a conventional car. Demand for gasoline and other forms of energy is increasing rapidly in China and throughout Asia. That is why the notion of oil companies fixing gas prices is so laughable. Gas prices will skyrocket when the global economy finally begins a real recovery.
Of course. i believe thats common sense.
As segar said, Diesel fuel would help more than anything, especially with the trucking industry.

The middle class would get a huge boost off of this. I think if you take someone making 40000 a year and cut there gas prices in half, than they go from pumping 10000 into the economy by buying things they want (not need) instead of spending 2000-3000
It would help me have more money to spend
The Number 1 thing the US needs to do is get rid of NAFTA...That is what started this mess to begin with....I live in Somerset and 3 major factories which in total probably employed 3-5,000 people, shut their doors as a direct effect of NAFTA because they can get the labor a whole lot cheaper (and dare I pick on our neighbors on our Southern boarder) in Mexico and then ship the goods back to the USA FREE of charge....
I agree with Bob that lower diesel fuel would have a direct impact on the economy. The increases in fuel costs have affected the total cost of all consumables such as food and clothes. It's those product prices that have affected our spending more than gasoline. We all are traveling just as much as we used to - all of us are still driving back and forth to work, the grocery store and church. How much incremental travel has been affected as much as the cost increase of what you want to do has been affected.
Stardust Wrote:I agree with Bob that lower diesel fuel would have a direct impact on the economy. The increases in fuel costs have affected the total cost of all consumables such as food and clothes. It's those product prices that have affected our spending more than gasoline. We all are traveling just as much as we used to - all of us are still driving back and forth to work, the grocery store and church. How much incremental travel has been affected as much as the cost increase of what you want to do has been affected.

I used to drive A LOT more before gas was almost 4 bux a gallon.
I do still drive to work and Church, but I rarely leave the house on Saturday because of the money I spend in gas.

There is no more "trips to the grocery store".
I still by groceries lol....
but I only shop for groceries when on the way home.
If I need to go to the grocery store I hold off until I'm in town for something else.
Slashing gas prices in half would definitely change that part of my lifestyle and plus I would have more money to invest in the economy.
I know that prices of goods have went up due to delivery costs....
but have they really went up any more than a few cents?
I know that adds up...
but has anything really increased by a lot lately?
zaga_fan Wrote:I used to drive A LOT more before gas was almost 4 bux a gallon.
I do still drive to work and Church, but I rarely leave the house on Saturday because of the money I spend in gas.

Where do you typically go on Saturday that you don't go to now?
Stardust Wrote:Where do you typically go on Saturday that you don't go to now?

I would usually would take my wife out to eat or go visit the family.
If it was warm I would go fishing, head to the lake, go over to Kingdom Come and hang out.

None of that anymore lol
I know I'd be able to spend more money on the things I needed and wanted if gas prices where cut in half. Almost 4 bucks a gallon is outrageous. I was around when it was only 99 cents a gallon. You could fill up a small fourwheeler for a child on those kind of prices. 10-15 bucks and you had a half tank of gas in your car or more easily.
Ballers Wrote:I know I'd be able to spend more money on the things I needed and wanted if gas prices where cut in half. Almost 4 bucks a gallon is outrageous. I was around when it was only 99 cents a gallon. You could fill up a small fourwheeler for a child on those kind of prices. 10-15 bucks and you had a half tank of gas in your car or more easily.
Yet, republicans say the oil companies are only making 8% profit, all the while they make record profits.
bump
zaga_fan Wrote:I would usually would take my wife out to eat or go visit the family.

So you stopped doing these things in 2006 when gas reached $3 gallon? For five years you have stopped doing all these things that you did prior to? Besides 2008, when gas reached $4 gallon, gas has held steady between $3.20 - 3.50 with slight ups and downs for short periods of time. I would assume that your salary has not risen in those same five years???
Gas is way to high it needs to come way down
Sure wouldn't hurt it worse than it already is.
^Good point
I remember when it was 77 cents a gallon.
Those were GREAT times.
Im sure SD remember even lower than that.
Whadday say SD, how much was it to fill up the horse and buggy back in the day?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I remember when it was 77 cents a gallon.
Those were GREAT times.
Im sure SD remember even lower than that.
Whadday say SD, how much was it to fill up the horse and buggy back in the day?

I remember way back when gas was what I had after eating pinto beans, never ever thought it would be as valuable as it is nowConfusednicker:
Stardust Wrote:I remember way back when gas was what I had after eating pinto beans, never ever thought it would be as valuable as it is nowConfusednicker:

lol, i bet it didnt stink either huh? :biggrin:
I'll never own a hybrid unless I'm forced too...I'd rather spend the extra money on gas.
^Agreed i will buy every old car i can before i even think about buying a hybrid
Stardust Wrote:So you stopped doing these things in 2006 when gas reached $3 gallon? For five years you have stopped doing all these things that you did prior to? Besides 2008, when gas reached $4 gallon, gas has held steady between $3.20 - 3.50 with slight ups and downs for short periods of time. I would assume that your salary has not risen in those same five years???

I've had to change jobs twice in 5 years so my salary has pretty much remained constant.
I've had the same job for the a little over 2 years and it took me almost 2 years to get my "annual" raise.
I make +0.71/hour more that what I started at over 2 years ago.

I stopped going out on the weekends when gas hit 4 bux a gallon and when it went back down I had already made a habit of cutting back so I continued to do so.

In Perry County gas has probably held steady between 3.40 and 3.70.
You can go an hour north , an hour south, an hour east, or an hour west and the gas is always cheaper.
bigben Wrote:^Agreed i will buy every old car i can before i even think about buying a hybrid

Why so?