Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ripkin or PLL...why not both?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I really hate that the league will be broken up. Some of the best times of my life were the summers that I played with the county guys. Those were sure some great times Hope it works out well for everyone anyways. If it gets more guys playing then maybe its worth it.
"OnTheMove" Wrote:My question as well....If Cal Ripken is for all the kids of Johnson County, why are the board members only principals of the elementary schools or all affiliated with the county school system in some regard? Why wasn't everyone afforded the opportunity to run for a place on the board...irregardless of where you attend school? Thus far, why have all the sign ups been at the county elementary schools and MS?

And I believe the Paintsville area population isn't all that large to support 2 youth baseball leagues.....leads one to believe that the reason it was started wasn't in the best interests of the kids....from what I've seen PLL had more coaches and volunteers from the county school system that the city system....it's all about control.

I hope that the kids of Johnson County don't end up suffering from what these adults have started.

Wow couldn't have said it better!! Otherwise why is there a need to create a separate system? Does Jason Hurt post on here??
"Eagle Eye" Wrote:Is that how many leagues are left in the state?:big grin: I know for a fact that these kids are fed up with the paintsville people asking(demanding) that they play in PLL(and also for the Tigers). How is that helping these kids out. As for Coach Hall telling them they have to play in Babe Ruth completely false. PLL has been a recruiting tool for PHS for as long as I can remember. Please don't deny this because it has happened to my family. I don't understand why we just won't let as many kids as possible play baseball. I don't care one way or another where they play at but it should not determine which side of the creek you play on. And for the cheerleading remark there is a seperate forum for that. I wish we had 40 cheerleaders who cared and really wanted to cheer for THEIR school.Confusedhh:

The board members were made up for the principals only until the league gets going. Why? Because they have started two very successful leagues already in PeeWee football and PeeWee basketball. So why not let them get this started. They know a lot of the kids in this county as well.:big grin: This league was started for the best interest of all kids who just wanted a chance to play baseball. That is a fact. You are right the PLL had more volunteers and coaches from the county but the control was always from the city.Confusedhh: (read reason why above in 1st paragraph) I also overheard that Bob Lyons wanted to step down and someone who really wanted it was from the county and a few of the board members said that there would be no way in hell that they would let him have it. I have always said that if we could have worked together instead of wanting control over the best kids then the PLL could have won state numerous times.

Another nice post. Collaboration is always the best solution, but it is difficult when many of the leaders have years of animosity built up. Again it is something to blamed on parents and adults rather than the kids.
"The Guru" Wrote:WTF are you trying to say???
You think I don't know that just about everyone doesn't know who I am???
Have I tried to keep my ID a secret???
I know 2 of the other 3 you mentioned, but what has that got to do with anything??? Nothing!!! I did wake one up to read some of this, but they went back to bed!! Have I posted something untrue??? Or did I post what I said was a rumor, and now it can be answered where everyone will know!!!
The answer I think and hope I get was posted by eagle90!! I certainly hope they know for sure so that the rumor can be put to rest!!

Dang, I don't know who anybody on this damn site is and it is pissing me off!!
"Eagle Eye" Wrote:Is that how many leagues are left in the state?:big grin: I know for a fact that these kids are fed up with the paintsville people asking(demanding) that they play in PLL(and also for the Tigers). How is that helping these kids out. As for Coach Hall telling them they have to play in Babe Ruth completely false. PLL has been a recruiting tool for PHS for as long as I can remember. Please don't deny this because it has happened to my family. I don't understand why we just won't let as many kids as possible play baseball. I don't care one way or another where they play at but it should not determine which side of the creek you play on. And for the cheerleading remark there is a seperate forum for that. I wish we had 40 cheerleaders who cared and really wanted to cheer for THEIR school.Confusedhh:

The board members were made up for the principals only until the league gets going. Why? Because they have started two very successful leagues already in PeeWee football and PeeWee basketball. So why not let them get this started. They know a lot of the kids in this county as well.:big grin: This league was started for the best interest of all kids who just wanted a chance to play baseball. That is a fact. You are right the PLL had more volunteers and coaches from the county but the control was always from the city.Confusedhh: (read reason why above in 1st paragraph) I also overheard that Bob Lyons wanted to step down and someone who really wanted it was from the county and a few of the board members said that there would be no way in hell that they would let him have it. I have always said that if we could have worked together instead of wanting control over the best kids then the PLL could have won state numerous times.

GOOD POST:thumb:
I also know of kids being recruited
Good Luck to the new CRL
You know, it really is a mute point why there can't be two leagues, and all of the postings in this thread that have underlying tones of animosity just prove that, it's sad that the powers that be couldn't leave the LL program alone and let the kids have fun,defend their state tourney championships, be proud of their efforts and enjoy this summer's state tourneys and show off their facilities...heck you'd think this was the deep south and its the "blacks" vs the "whites" if you didn't know any better...but then again hatred is hatred and it doesn't really have any preferences does it...its just pure simple hatred for anyone or anything that gets in the way of what someone wants

I'm all for every child getting to play any sport, I'm just not for getting to that point at the expense of others.
"blackwidow" Wrote:You know, it really is a mute point why there can't be two leagues, and all of the postings in this thread that have underlying tones of animosity just prove that, it's sad that the powers that be couldn't leave the LL program alone and let the kids have fun,defend their state tourney championships, be proud of their efforts and enjoy this summer's state tourneys and show off their facilities...heck you'd think this was the deep south and its the "blacks" vs the "whites" if you didn't know any better...but then again hatred is hatred and it doesn't really have any preferences does it...its just pure simple hatred for anyone or anything that gets in the way of what someone wants

I'm all for every child getting to play any sport, I'm just not for getting to that point at the expense of others.
I know that I am going to ruffle a few feathers of the Big Blue Birds, and for once this is not my purpose, but Johnson Central in my opinion has a state powerhouse in the making. By reading the posts that have been made it appears that there is a division developing with the county kids playing Babe Ruth and the city kids playing Jr and Sr League. If this plays out like I am interpreting from these posts then one day you will see Johnson Central dominating play between the 2 schools. There is so much difference in the talent level of Babe Ruth vs. Jr/Sr League statewide that it is pathetic. The Senior league state champion would be totally demolished by the Babe Ruth 13-15 year old division state champs even though Senior League goes up to and includes 16 year olds. You Paintsville folk need to realize that everybody is getting out of Little League and going to Babe Ruth/ Cal Ripken. Soon there will not be anybody for you guys to play. Of course that could give you areason to brag about another state championship that consists of playing against two or three other participants. But I really dont think that without the Johnson Central kids that you could compete anyways. Louisa /Fort Gay and several others are talking about switching to Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken now too. So before you start bragging about your state titles just remember that Louisa/Fort Gay has had two in the last 6 or 7 years as well, so I am very sure about what I am talking about. It may take a few short years for it to play out, but I really feel that Johnson County has taken the steps to develop within themselves. I fear they are a giant that is now just starting to flex it's baseball muscles. You Little League die hards can fight this fight all you want, but this one in the end you wont win if Johnson County runs their league the way it should be run. I just cant imagine what 400-500 kids playing baseball within itself could do for a high school baseball program. It's scary to think of the potential that lies out there for a program that is already very good to begin with.
"You Little League die hards can fight this fight all you want, but this one in the end you wont win if Johnson County runs their league the way it should be run....."
"You Paintsville folk need to realize that ......."

ChillyWilly, in part of your quote above you got one thing right....the IF Johnson County runs the league the way it should be...we can only hope for the sake of the kids that it will be, and time will tell....as for the other quote...you Paintsville folk....I'm very proud of where I'm from...but you know I always just thought we were one and the same around here...hard working, family loving eastern kentuckians...but that's okay, guess we all have to belong to one group or another don't we *lol*
"ChillyWilly" Wrote:I know that I am going to ruffle a few feathers of the Big Blue Birds, and for once this is not my purpose, but Johnson Central in my opinion has a state powerhouse in the making. By reading the posts that have been made it appears that there is a division developing with the county kids playing Babe Ruth and the city kids playing Jr and Sr League. If this plays out like I am interpreting from these posts then one day you will see Johnson Central dominating play between the 2 schools. There is so much difference in the talent level of Babe Ruth vs. Jr/Sr League statewide that it is pathetic. The Senior league state champion would be totally demolished by the Babe Ruth 13-15 year old division state champs even though Senior League goes up to and includes 16 year olds. You Paintsville folk need to realize that everybody is getting out of Little League and going to Babe Ruth/ Cal Ripken. Soon there will not be anybody for you guys to play. Of course that could give you areason to brag about another state championship that consists of playing against two or three other participants. But I really dont think that without the Johnson Central kids that you could compete anyways. Louisa /Fort Gay and several others are talking about switching to Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken now too. So before you start bragging about your state titles just remember that Louisa/Fort Gay has had two in the last 6 or 7 years as well, so I am very sure about what I am talking about. It may take a few short years for it to play out, but I really feel that Johnson County has taken the steps to develop within themselves. I fear they are a giant that is now just starting to flex it's baseball muscles. You Little League die hards can fight this fight all you want, but this one in the end you wont win if Johnson County runs their league the way it should be run. I just cant imagine what 400-500 kids playing baseball within itself could do for a high school baseball program. It's scary to think of the potential that lies out there for a program that is already very good to begin with.

Your post offers great motivation to the CAL league, and I wish them well.
And if you honestly believe that last years Babe Ruth state champs would demolish, last years Sr. L state champs, well...that is your opinion!! I respect that for you! But can you tell us what you are basing this expert knowledge from??? Did you happen to go to louisville and watch the State Tourn.? Did you watch the Babe Ruth State??? I doubt it! In all honesty, you are just making this up, based on nothing but opinion! Here is another question!!! Without looking it up, can you tell us who was the Babe Ruth state champs last year?
Granted that the talent level is deminished by other leagues and just plain old, some kids just not playing! But what does that matter...it is still baseball!!! Just as fun to play and watch as any I have seen!!
So tell us Grand Wizzard of Oz! Why is Babe Ruth a stronger league ???

i have watched several leagues play, several travel teams and so forth over the last few years and I have never seen any team that was any better than some of the teams I have seen in LL, Jr and Sr. Believe it or not!!!
Ido hope that Cal is a success, it will make for better high school teams, we have not ruled out my son signing up to play Babe Ruth yet!!! We may, or may not be welcome, but we have been unwelcomed in leagues befor!!
My son wants to play Sr league!! Why....it has nothing to do with any school!!! It is baseball, in a league that he has always played in, and he feels a loyalty towards it!! But if they don't have enough to field a team befor all stars, then he will probably want to play Babe Ruth!! It is all baseball!
"blackwidow" Wrote:"You Little League die hards can fight this fight all you want, but this one in the end you wont win if Johnson County runs their league the way it should be run....."
"You Paintsville folk need to realize that ......."

ChillyWilly, in part of your quote above you got one thing right....the IF Johnson County runs the league the way it should be...we can only hope for the sake of the kids that it will be, and time will tell....as for the other quote...you Paintsville folk....I'm very proud of where I'm from...but you know I always just thought we were one and the same around here...hard working, family loving eastern kentuckians...but that's okay, guess we all have to belong to one group or another don't we *lol*
No disrespect meant by the term Paintsville folk. It is just that by the posts in this thread Paintsville school supporters are the ones that appear to be expressing the most dislike for the new league. Correct me if I have read some of this wrong. These posts are all I have to go by in this whole conversation. But I still stand by the statements regarding the quality of play as a whole statewide.
"ChillyWilly" Wrote:No disrespect meant by the term Paintsville folk. It is just that by the posts in this thread Paintsville school supporters are the ones that appear to be expressing the most dislike for the new league. Correct me if I have read some of this wrong. These posts are all I have to go by in this whole conversation. But I still stand by the statements regarding the quality of play as a whole statewide.
It is not only Paintsville School people, I am not against the Cal League, and am going out on a limb and say that I never really thought that Paintsville LL ever tried to pit School against school. Yes some people have, but not the league. Heck.... There was just about as many coaches and board members that had kids going to County as there were City last year. So...I guess it was just something else!! Maybe some didn't like the Prez.... heck everyone knows he and I have had tremendous differences before!! Maybe it is just time for a new league...I don't know, and doubt if anyone else does either!
All that this league is doing is hurting PLL IMO. It's been around for over 50 years and is year in and year out one of the most successful little leagues in the state. All of the JC posters say that they hope this league goes great, just as I do, but I've played in PLL, and some of the best memories of my life had been enjoyed by teammates from both JC and from Paintsville. Now tell me this, why eliminate the chance to allow "the kids of Johnson County" to enjoy the same times as I did as TEAMMATES with kids from both schools? Is it all about control as someone said earlier, or is this just a chance to improve Johnson Central baseball for the future.

PLL has not been a recruting tool for Paintsville. Kids that were and are good in PLL go to both Paintsville and Johnson Central. Eagle Eye said that PLL is a recruiting tool for PHS, is Paintsville any better than Johson Central in baseball? Has it been over the years? No. So this should not upset people, right? No, but it does anyway. Do people from Central hate that kids from JC have to play in a league with the name "Paintsville". I don't know but all it does is hurt the kids of Johnson County in general.

This is just my opinion and it probably doesn't effect how anyone feels, but this is how I feel. I hope this league does well, I'll do my best to try to go see some of the opening ceremonies and games, just like I'll try for PLL. I think it will come along great.
I also would love to know why the county schools haven't announced Paintsville Little League sign-ups? I bet they've been informed to announce them.
Best of luck to the Cal Ripken League on their first year, and best of luck to Paintsville Little League.

Have a nice day.:Thumbs:
"Pupaw" Wrote:All that this league is doing is hurting PLL IMO. It's been around for over 50 years and is year in and year out one of the most successful little leagues in the state. All of the JC posters say that they hope this league goes great, just as I do, but I've played in PLL, and some of the best memories of my life had been enjoyed by teammates from both JC and from Paintsville. Now tell me this, why eliminate the chance to allow "the kids of Johnson County" to enjoy the same times as I did as TEAMMATES with kids from both schools? Is it all about control as someone said earlier, or is this just a chance to improve Johnson Central baseball for the future.

PLL has not been a recruting tool for Paintsville. Kids that were and are good in PLL go to both Paintsville and Johnson Central. Eagle Eye said that PLL is a recruiting tool for PHS, is Paintsville any better than Johson Central in baseball? Has it been over the years? No. So this should not upset people, right? No, but it does anyway. Do people from Central hate that kids from JC have to play in a league with the name "Paintsville". I don't know but all it does is hurt the kids of Johnson County in general.

This is just my opinion and it probably doesn't effect how anyone feels, but this is how I feel. I hope this league does well, I'll do my best to try to go see some of the opening ceremonies and games, just like I'll try for PLL. I think it will come along great.
I also would love to know why the county schools haven't announced Paintsville Little League sign-ups? I bet they've been informed to announce them.
Best of luck to the Cal Ripken League on their first year, and best of luck to Paintsville Little League.

Have the Johnson County Schools indeed been contacted to announce that Paintsville LL is having signups??? If they have and they didn't announce them, then that is a shame!! Surely they would make a public announcement though.
"ChillyWilly" Wrote:No disrespect meant by the term Paintsville folk. It is just that by the posts in this thread Paintsville school supporters are the ones that appear to be expressing the most dislike for the new league. Correct me if I have read some of this wrong. These posts are all I have to go by in this whole conversation. But I still stand by the statements regarding the quality of play as a whole statewide.

From what I've been reading, what else would you expect from the "Paintsville Folk". Looks to me like if you're affiliated with the city school system, you sure weren't invited to be a part of the CRL. Why wasn't the principals from PES and PHS not invited to be on the board of CRL? Once again...control and jealousy...I think sums it all up!!
I see some excellent post from both sides regarding this matter, but here are some facts:

PLL has a board and anyone who wants to attend can be a member through an election process. Board Members elect a president based on nominations from board members. The one with the most votes is the President for the coming season. If you don't like the way the league is ran then do something about it and become an active member. It's easy to sit on the sidelines and say how things should be ran, but it's another to actual have to make decisions for all players, not just all-stars, or your particular son or daughter.
There have been rumors for the past few season regarding a new "county" league and the rumors have come to be true. As I stated earlier if the league was formed (and I believe there are a few who did) only to get back at a individual or to cause a league harm, then it was formed for for the wrong reason. If it was formed to help children (and there are people who are doing just that) then their hearts are in the right spot.

I can tell you the principals in the Johnson County School System were asked to post signs a about Little League sign ups, if they didn't post them, then you can draw your own conclusions.

As posted above, if the league was formed for "all" children and they wanted principals to fill the first board, why wasn't any of the Paintsville Independent School System principals asked to sit on the board?

Bottom line, lets hope kids in both leagues grow as players and develope their talent, stay healthy and have fun and don't let "adults" ruin their summers.
"Pupaw" Wrote:All that this league is doing is hurting PLL IMO. It's been around for over 50 years and is year in and year out one of the most successful little leagues in the state. All of the JC posters say that they hope this league goes great, just as I do, but I've played in PLL, and some of the best memories of my life had been enjoyed by teammates from both JC and from Paintsville. Now tell me this, why eliminate the chance to allow "the kids of Johnson County" to enjoy the same times as I did as TEAMMATES with kids from both schools? Is it all about control as someone said earlier, or is this just a chance to improve Johnson Central baseball for the future.

I hope both leagues are a success as well. Just as you have said, I made a lot of friends from the other school and a few who were my best friends growing up. However, to tell me that PLL is not a recruiting tool for PHS is not accurate. Just check the state title team of Paintsville and tell me how many kids should have been in the county school system or other surrounding schools. It still goes on just as much today as it did 10-15 years ago. The only thing that is different is that JC is finally on the right track to getting their programs to respectability. Not that we have not had some great teams but with the size of our school we should be competing for regional titles in every sport every year. We have coaches establishing that tradition. To answer you question, it is a little of both. Paintsville will always have control of the PLL and CRL will improve JC's baseball program. It is amazing the number of kids that do not play baseball. I wish both programs the best of luck. The main thing is that we need to get kids playing baseball again. :Thumbs:
Something to think about. Johnson county's population is almost 24,000. Little League territories can be no more than 20,000. Can paintsville pull players from the entire county?
I would like to know where these supposed little league figures are listed, there are a lot of regulations pertaining to each individual area , but this is a new one!!!
I think its great that schools have rivalries. But this is a little much...

"Paintsville Folk" as if they are different from us. You seem to think that its only Paintsville people that have a problem with two leagues. I ,personally, think that whatever is best for the kids should be done.

But consider this:

Kids are being named and are being used as pawns by people who hide behind their handles. By this I mean, if you are an adult or at least someone who should be mature enough, KIDS SHOULD NEVER BE NAMED!!!

Trying to say that Paintsville recruits is probably true in many accounts in all sports. But are you going to really say that it doens't go on EVERYWHERE?

I think the Paintsville Little League has done a wonderful job in putting the city's name on the map. It gives players, young and old, something to look forward to. But the sad thing is is that there are people who have been screwed over in their opinions and start their mouthes and further worsen things by naming kids.

I wish luck to both leagues. But I don't believe the PLL needs to be knocked just because of jealousy. If things were supposedly this bad, shouldn't you have tried to do something about it?:AngelPray
"shelf" Wrote:I would like to know where these supposed little league figures are listed, there are a lot of regulations pertaining to each individual area , but this is a new one!!!

The 20,000 population information is located in the rule book.However, if you don't have a rule book you can also find it online at http://www.littleleague.org. Simply go to the section for officers and then look at "how to start a league". The information conerning the 20,000 population is located in there. You can also request a waiver from little league for the population limit. For example... if your boundary includes a large population of senior citizens the waiver can allow you to continue operating even though you exceed the 20,000.
I live in a county which has more than one league and I think it weakens them all. In all-stars for example, the 12 best in any age group are now split up. Your Little League may have 7 of the best 11-12 year olds and Cal Ripken may have the other 5. No matter how it works out, the 12 best will not be on the same team. I don't know what's happening I just hope the kids benefit.
"Eagle Eye" Wrote:The main thing is that we need to get kids playing baseball again. :Thumbs:
Exactly I agree 100%.
"OnTheMove" Wrote:From what I've been reading, what else would you expect from the "Paintsville Folk". Looks to me like if you're affiliated with the city school system, you sure weren't invited to be a part of the CRL. Why wasn't the principals from PES and PHS not invited to be on the board of CRL? Once again...control and jealousy...I think sums it all up!!

Well if you ask any kid, they will tell you that all I have ever done is encourage them to just play baseball. But, in all fairness. The highlighted part ask a very interesting question. How Come? Whether there is PLL or not, this just seems like a fair question to ask.
As far as where to play. There is a very simple solution to this. It goes like this. "Son/Daughter, where do YOU want to play?" After all it is all about letting them play where ever it makes them HAPPY. I know as parents we are to do what we feel is best for our kids. But, when it comes to things such as youth baseball, soccer, basketball, football, softball or cheerleading, don't you think they should have a little say so on what they enjoy doing?
The only thing I see wrong with what is going on is. If you wanted to do this why rush into it? Why not just start a Babe Ruth League this year? You already have those fields prepped and ready to go. The Little League State Tourney is at home this year. Just take your time and build the smaller fields for next year and hit it full throtle. That way everything wouldn't be perceived as it is now. IMHO, I just think that one more year would have made a world of difference. No matter what I wish nothing but luck to both leagues and please just keep in mind that it is for the kids. Our time has already came and gone, theirs is now so let them enjoy it. Because they only get to do this once.
apparently eagle eye has a kid that has not been playing baseball at the little league all star level..based on his statement ( the main thing is to get the kids playing baseball again) because the kids have been playing baseball and deep into the season as well....Don't get me wrong, I beleive that each kid should be given a fair chance to play as much as possible...until such time when their lack of skills limit the amount of playing time for the entire team ie: if you have an all star team the goal is to play as deep into a tournament as possible thereby exposing al kids on that team to as much baseball as possible.. if there are less talented kids on that team that will ultimately limit the amount of playing time all the kids will have. MY main Point is that My hope is that the leagues created by the johnson county school system are for all the kids and not just a select few kids whose parents are running the program.... Having said that I guess a little of that goes on in every program
Having recently visited several of the Johnson County Elementary schools, I wonder if anyone can tell me why they didn't post or announce Little League Sign ups?  I guess that should be an easy answer to figure out, but I feel like parents, employees are beeing forced to participate in this CRL.  And has the public been informed of the pressure being placed on everyone?

And the work on the fields, are they using tax payer's dollars to build those fields?  Is this allowed since CRL is not school affiliated?
[quote author=Gatortater link=topic=19658.msg211769#msg211769 date=1142433061]
Having recently visited several of the Johnson County Elementary schools, I wonder if anyone can tell me why they didn't post or announce Little League Sign ups? I guess that should be an easy answer to figure out, but I feel like parents, employees are beeing forced to participate in this CRL. And has the public been informed of the pressure being placed on everyone?

And the work on the fields, are they using tax payer's dollars to build those fields? Is this allowed since CRL is not school affiliated?
[/quote]The pressure one feels in the county system is self imposed. If you had a child and your school system were starting a new youth league wouldn't you feel you should support that system? I wish paintsville little league the best but I feel both high school programs will prosper if both leagues are run correctly.The CRL had over 500 sign-ups and PLL had close to 200. Thats 700 total kids in johnson county playing baseball this year opposed to 350 last year!! Even though PLL numbers are down their total numbers of kids playing in their sysyem are probably at least the same. The increase in #'s are from the county school system so how can you fault a school system for getting more kids involved in our national past-time. As for the tax payers money, step out on your porch look left then right and count the number of people drawing a check. If you have a problem supporting the youth in this county I think you should ask yourself where the money could be better spent. The education officials in Frankfort are really pushing fitness in our school systems, and are pleased that our highschool are getting new baseball softball and soccer fields to be added in our curriculam. If the kids in our county can benifit from those fields that's great too. As far as tax payers money being spent on the league IT IS NOT TRUE the league is self efficent but the shool system allows use of their facilities.
You still didn't answer my question as to why PLL sign ups were not announced or posted at the county elementary schools.  PLL is for "all" kids in Johnson County....not just what school you attend.    Kids are very impressionable and can be pursuaded....they do what adults tell them to do...for the most part any way.  I wonder if one were to ask the kids of Johnson County what they would want to do, what would they say?  This comes down to the adults.  Someone got mad, didn't get what they wanted or to do what they wanted...at the expense of whom??...innocent children.  If this league were started for all the right reasons, that would be fine and dandy, but at this point I just don't see that.    Where were these 300 additional kids at the last several years.  They were afforded the same opportunity as any other child in the county.  If they could not afford to sign up, they could still play, coaches provided transportation to and from practices and games, the league provided helmets, bats, gloves, uniforms. 

I'm all for improvements, especially those that pertain to and benefit kids.  I have participated, promoted, volunteered, cleaned, cut grass for many years in various sports areas and want nothing but the best for the kids of Johnson County.

Not sure what you mean about counting the number of people that draw a check and baseball, but my concern was simply that I imagine what they have done to the facilities is very, very costly.  I would imagine the only income they have generated up to this point would be from sign ups and private donations and would be surprised if it would even begin to cover the costs thus far.  Yes, I guess the county allows them to use their facilities, but I would imagine that there are guidlines you must follow from the state to make improvements to those facilities.
[quote author=Gatortater link=topic=19658.msg211769#msg211769 date=1142433061]
Having recently visited several of the Johnson County Elementary schools, I wonder if anyone can tell me why they didn't post or announce Little League Sign ups?   I guess that should be an easy answer to figure out, but I feel like parents, employees are beeing forced to participate in this CRL.   And has the public been informed of the pressure being placed on everyone?

And the work on the fields, are they using tax payer's dollars to build those fields?  Is this allowed since CRL is not school affiliated?
[/quote]
What evidence of pressure needs to be made public? Please be specific.

Reverse the situation. Someone from Paintsville plays in the new league. Think that would really put a new definition into the meaning of the word "pressure" on someone?   
If PLL had done a better job stepping up and trying to get these kids out they would have had the same kind of numbers. I have been a part of PLL for the last 6 or 7 years and their #'s have been on the decline so I shoulder some of that blame but I have heard  PLL officials say some of the reasons are (single parent households, two working parents, play stations, and lasiness.) A common perception on my side of the creek is PLL did not care about the kids that make up that additional 350. I don't feel that is completely true. I just feel those 350 could care less about PLL, and are more satisfied with the way johnson county schools does things as evidense in the big turn out. As for why they didn't post sign ups for PLL, well I KNOW they did in the past but let me ask you something, if you were selling pepsi and someone walks up and asks for a soda would you reach them a coke?
And what would have been your suggestion to get these other kids to sign up for PLL in prior years?  You can't go out and drag kids and make their parents come in and sign up.  As well, many of PLL board members in previous years have been directly affiliated with the county schools...if that was the case, why didn't they step up to the plate and bring in these kids years before?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7