Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Henry Clay 2 - Mercy 0 (KHSAA State Tournament)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
25-15, 25-22

Henry Clay upsets Mercy in the first round of the state tournament
This upset sends shockwaves around the volleyball world.
This was a huge upset...I don't think anyone saw this coming.
I am particularly glad for the breakthrough. I believe it might be the first time I have ever openly cheered for a Fayette County school in any sport.
What coach Todd Garvey called a season “with a lot of curveballs” ended on a low note for the Mercy Academy volleyball team.

Emily Stromberg had nine kills to lead Henry Clay to a stunning 25-15, 25-22 victory over six-time champion Mercy in Friday’s first round of the state tournament at Bellarmine University’s Knights Hall.

Mercy (29-12), ranked No. 3 in the state, was the state champion in 2008 and ’09 and runner-up to Assumption last year. Mercy won at Henry Clay 25-20, 25-17, 25-12 on Sept. 30.

“They played really well, and we didn’t play like ourselves at all,” Garvey said. “We had way too many unforced errors. Of their 50 points, 34 came on our unforced errors. … You can’t do that against a good team and win.”

No. 6 Henry Clay (33-8) advanced to face No. 1 Assumption (40-1) in today’s 11:30 a.m. quarterfinal. The Rockets beat Owensboro Catholic 25-8, 25-11 in another first-round match Friday.

After winning the first set, Henry Clay took a 22-19 lead in the second set before a Lauren Schneidtmiller kill and a Lady Devils error made it 22-21.

After the teams traded points, Stromberg and Elle Barnett had kills to seal the victory.

“We got rattled and lost our composure,” Garvey said. “(Henry Clay) had their whole student body there making a lot of noise, and I think it got to us a little bit.”

Schneidtmiller had nine kills to lead the Jaguars. Makenzie Montano added 22 assists, and Paige Stewart had 10 digs.

It was a tough end to a roller-coaster season for Mercy, who had just five players with varsity experience return from last year. After a rocky 13-7 start, Mercy had won eight straight before Friday’s loss.

“I’m proud of our girls for battling and not giving up,” Garvey said. “We didn’t have the season we’re typically used to having, but the girls didn’t hang their heads.”

http://saxo.highschoolsports.net/article...cy?Avis=B2
FYI, Henry Clay brought 32 students and their team parents. Not the "whole student body"
FYI: Henry Clay brought 32 students and their players parents, not "the whole student body"
Henry Clay had one of the smallest fan groups of the first day. The first row of students were entertaining nevertheless.
Great job by Henry Clay to take down a private school.
Wow, this just opened up the tournament for others to have a chance to win
That is why they play the games.
cougarpride08 Wrote:That is why they play the games.
Which is EXACTLY the point I have been making in the other thread where someone was whining about"the better teams" having to face each other early. That prediction never came to fruition for that poster, and out the window goes their assertion there should be seeding in this tournament. Leave it as it is, Greenwood reaching the state finals was the FIRST time ever a public school in KY reached the finals. Good for them... And let them play the games, face all comers, I say.
They are just mad because there two private schools didn't get to play in the finals.
Good job lady Blue devils!