Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Which Teams Is The Biggest Under Achievers In 2011.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This happen sometimes when a team has a lot of hype but never live up to it. In 2011 I'm sure they are more teams than one, but Sheldon Clark stands out to me the most because they were ranked in the top 5 in the preseason in 3a . I would like to hear from some of the other posters who is your biggest dispointment in 2011.
The team that has most underachieved in the mountains this year would be Prestonsburg. Followed by Sheldon Clark and Lawrence County.
Henry Clay, a school that size with all of the talent they have, should have won state by now.
Mason County is another 3A school that was ranked in the top 5 in the preseason and did not even make the playoffs (2-8 record).
agreed mason county & henry clay , male , sheldon clark , underachieved
prp, butler , over achieved, would not be suprised to see butler in the 6a final
Knox Central not winning their district.
0-9 Hopkinsville without a doubt.
Coming into the 2011 season, everyone knew Pulaski County was going to be down a bit...But I don't think many people thought the Maroons would be the #4 seed heading into the playoffs. I figured that they would at least finish #2 in the district at worse.
GetChili Wrote:Coming into the 2011 season, everyone knew Pulaski County was going to be down a bit...But I don't think many people thought the Maroons would be the #4 seed heading into the playoffs. I figured that they would at least finish #2 in the district at worse.

Agreed. I knew that they would be down but they were still preseason Top 10 in 5A and they are headed for a 3-8 season. Finishing 4th in a weak district is a big disappointment. They have been just awful on defense and physically they are the softest team that I have watched all season.
GetChili Wrote:Coming into the 2011 season, everyone knew Pulaski County was going to be down a bit...But I don't think many people thought the Maroons would be the #4 seed heading into the playoffs. I figured that they would at least finish #2 in the district at worse.

They get my vote as well. I thought they'd have a fighting chance on that side of the state, but they dropped completely off the map.
I thought Estill County would be better than 2-7. Games should have won but came up short. 2012 should be a better year for the Engineers
Coachdad Wrote:agreed mason county & henry clay , male , sheldon clark , underachieved
prp, butler , over achieved, would not be suprised to see butler in the 6a final

Surely you would be surprised, because that would mean they beat Trinity in the state semifinals.
Tica Wrote:0-9 Hopkinsville without a doubt.

This..

1. Hopkinsville- One of the state's proudest programs may go winless. Not only that, but they haven't even been close as every game has been lost by 4 TD's or more.

2. Male- Powerhouse program sits at 2-7 and wasn't competitive against X and T.

3. Sheldon Clark- Perennial strong team appeared to be a Top 10 3A team with the Tim Smith transfer...now they are en route to 10 losses instead.

4. Etown- Panthers had Chris Todd's brother at QB and has consistently been a Top 10 3A program... they are winless and have allowed nearly 60 points per game.

5. Dixie Heights- Most knew they were not a great team, but with the praise of Pike noone expected them to be 3-6.

6. Pburg- Belfry game was the turning point of their season they never overcame between their defense getting exploited and the injuries they suffered.

7. Paintsville- The once great 1A program is simply awful sitting at 2-7 with their only wins against 1-8 Paris and Jenkins in close games.

8. LCA- After being an elite level small school program for years the Eagles are now hoping to upset Green County to reach the .500 mark.

9. Middlesboro- Sitting at 3-6 with two wins against very bad teams the Jackets have had a season full of turmoil and lopsided losses

10. Henry Clay- Finished regular season 3-7 including losses to 3 other Lexington schools.
dragonfire Wrote:surely you would be surprised, because that would mean they beat trinity in the state semifinals.

no it wouldn't their on opposite sides !
Cat Daddy Wrote:The team that has most underachieved in the mountains this year would be Prestonsburg. Followed by Sheldon Clark and Lawrence County.

Totally agree. A team that makes the regional finals last season and only lose 3 legit players and return all their playmakers definately has to be hte most underachiedved team in the mountains. They return their entire line accept a guard, return the QB, and all the top skill players. What is going on up there. :igiveup::help:
Coachdad Wrote:no it wouldn't their on opposite sides !

I think you need to have a look at this:

http://www.khsaa.org/football/2011/brackets/2011_6A.pdf

Region 1 comprises of District 1 vs District 3. Butler is in District 3.
Region 2 comprises of District 2 vs District 4. Trinity is in District 4.

Region 1 & Region 2 meet in the state semifinals.
Pulaski Co. and Prestonsburg.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:This..

1. Hopkinsville- One of the state's proudest programs may go winless. Not only that, but they haven't even been close as every game has been lost by 4 TD's or more.

3. Sheldon Clark- Perennial strong team appeared to be a Top 10 3A team with the Tim Smith transfer...now they are en route to 10 losses instead.

4. Etown- Panthers had Chris Todd's brother at QB and has consistently been a Top 10 3A program... they are winless and have allowed nearly 60 points per game.

5. Dixie Heights- Most knew they were not a great team, but with the praise of Pike noone expected them to be 3-6.

6. Pburg- Belfry game was the turning point of their season they never overcame between their defense getting exploited and the injuries they suffered.

7. Paintsville- The once great 1A program is simply awful sitting at 2-7 with their only wins against 1-8 Paris and Jenkins in close games.

8. LCA- After being an elite level small school program for years the Eagles are now hoping to upset Green County to reach the .500 mark.

9. Middlesboro- Sitting at 3-6 with two wins against very bad teams the Jackets have had a season full of turmoil and lopsided losses

10. Henry Clay- Finished regular season 3-7 including losses to 3 other Lexington schools.

Pretty good top ten.

Looks good to me
Expected more out of Sheldon Clark and Clay County

Very thorough except I disagree somewhat with two of these. Not with the fact that they have been a disappointment, just with where you have them. Dixie seemed to have all of us in the rest of the state fooled due to having Pike, but it seems like the folks in NKY knew this season was coming. Also, LCA has been a bit disappointing by their standards but I wouldn't say that have underachieved when you take into account how young they are and how brutal of a schedule they have had. If they had lost to Danville last week I would have agreed with where you put them but they really surprised me with that win and by earning a #2 seed in their district.

Another thing I will say is that instead of just having Henry Clay on there I would put Lexington public schools as a whole. I'm sorry but I just don't understand how Clay, Creek, Dunbar, Lafayette, and Station aren't competitive on the state level anymore. The talent is still there, but the product has been more than disappointing IMO.
I think 3-6 Graves County technically has been an underachiever in that they have lost 5 tough games they had a legit chance to win by a combined 12 points. I still think if this team ever gets it together, they could be trouble in the playoffs.

Lost by 2 to Murray
Lost by 1 to Tilghman
Lost by 7 to Mayfield
Lost by 1 to Ohio County
Lost by 1 to Christian County
Frankfort sitting at 5-4. Should have had atleast 2-3 more wins.
What about Newcath? Sure they won a weak district, but they're struggling for a half against horrible teams. They don't win 2A.
Estill County. There use to be a lot of talk in the 70s, 80s, and 90s about them. Don't know if anyone talks about the program anymore.
Sheldon Clark by far the have some talent but never got anything going.Prestonsburg has had some injury that i think changed their season.