Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What Makes You Go To Church?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is it the reason you go to church? Really, what is the reason you, personally, go to church? Do you go because of the singing? The preaching? The people? Feeling of obligation? Religious obligation? A mixture of reasons? Children in programs like Upward Bound or their Christmas play?

What is the reason you go to church? If multiple, list them. If you do not go to church, please tell why, even if it is that you do not believe.
I don't go to church near as often as I should, I used to go quite a bit but I think the biggest reason is that my son has some health problems and usually when he is around a lot of people he ends up in the hospital.
The devil making me sin is the reason I go to church! So I can see my loved ones in heaven one day!!
To be honest, I don't hardly ever go. Only times I go are for my mom when she asks me, and with her on holidays. Whenever I get a girlfriend she really likes, she makes us go to church with her so she can introduce her to EVERYONE..lol.

Like I said in the other thread, I'm Catholic, and I don't go to mass anymore because to tell ya the truth, I can't stand it. The people, ugh. Pretty much the same with Baptist and all of those around here, just a different kind of ugh. I hate all of the hypocrisy and thinking one is better than others because they don't understand them. Some of the churches I've attended around here, I just couldn't understand how they could sit there and preach and listen about all this sin that took place outside of their walls, when what was going on in their was so much worse.

It's that kind of stuff that keeps me from going more often. I believe in God and all that, and I think I would go more often if it was for those couple reasons I mentioned.
Guilt? The Bible says so? Want to hear a good message? An invite?
I go to Church for accountability.

Paul said to not forsake the gathering of Believers for a number of reasons...
but I go for accountability.

It's possible to have a relationship with God and never set foot in a Church.
But it's easy to fall off of the wagon that way too.
I have people that are there to lift me up, there to let me know I'm stupid, and there to share God's vision for their life with me.

You ultimately do what you want to do. If you truly want to sell out to God's plan for you I think you have to Pray that God puts you in a Church where you can grow in Christ.
Not a hypocrit, therefore I hardly ever attend and know that I should. But one would think that the thought of burning in an everlasting pitfire called hell would make us go.
I agree about Accountability, but it's also about mutual ministry. God calls us together to not just hear, but to share. An important part of church is our fellowship, but also intriduces us to that important act of testifying. Not that act of traditional testifying in front of the entire congregation, but the act of individual witness. Though sometimes (and I lump myself into this at times as well), we show up just as church is beginning and leave as soon as church is over, we miss a great opportunity. That opportunity is to share our lives with our fellow Christians. To hear about and pray together about our fellow christian is a very important part of that mutual ministry aspect.

I pray throughout the week, but my opportunity to be inside of Gods house allows me to feel more focussed and secure. It's a time of reflection on our inner wants and needs, but importantly an opportunity to be there for others wants and needs as well.