Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Name the player...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who was the last player from the mountians to be Ky's Mr. Basketball?
JR VanHoose-Paintsville
The King
Jr
I don't remember JR being Mr. Basketball
JR VanHoose-Paintsville. 1998, Parade All-American, Sweet Sixteen Fab 50, Gatorade KY Player of the Year. I once read an article about JR in the Lexington Herald about a letter he recieved from Roy Williams at Kansas that said all he wanted for Christmas was him in a Jayhawk uniform. My old high school coach picked up Bobby Knight at a local air port and took him to Magoffin Co. to watch him play. Highly recruited prospect but went to Marshall to stay close to home because his family had just had a little boy, Alex, another reason was probably because he got snubbed by UK. Pitino walked the halls at PHS one day when he was still at UK, but after he left so did UK's interest in JR. Had a good career for the Thundering Herd though.
"JKWON33" Wrote:JR VanHoose-Paintsville. 1998, Parade All-American, Sweet Sixteen Fab 50, Gatorade KY Player of the Year. I once read an article about JR in the Lexington Herald about a letter he recieved from Roy Williams at Kansas that said all he wanted for Christmas was him in a Jayhawk uniform. My old high school coach picked up Bobby Knight at a local air port and took him to Magoffin Co. to watch him play. Highly recruited prospect but went to Marshall to stay close to home because his family had just had a little boy, Alex, another reason was probably because he got snubbed by UK. Pitino walked the halls at PHS one day when he was still at UK, but after he left so did UK's interest in JR. Had a good career for the Thundering Herd though.

Why in the world didn't he goto Kansas?
"gish" Wrote:Why in the world didn't he goto Kansas?
Marshall pros
Good school, close to home, instant playing time.
"UKGIRL20" Wrote:I don't remember JR being Mr. Basketball
JR VanHoose definitely was Mr. Basketball. Probably could have been his junior season also.
Paintsville has probably had the past two to come from the Mts. JR adn John Pelphrey... did anyone get it from the mountains between those 12 years??
"cardinalfan27" Wrote:Paintsville has probably had the past two to come from the Mts. JR adn John Pelphrey... did anyone get it from the mountains between those 12 years??
Wasn't Charles Thomas from Harlan named Mr. Basketball between that time, I believe he was but I'm not positive about that. Later became a Minnesota Golden Gopher.
"cardinalfan27" Wrote:Paintsville has probably had the past two to come from the Mts. JR adn John Pelphrey... did anyone get it from the mountains between those 12 years??

Mr. Basketball's from Eastern Kentucky
The King 1956
Ervin Stepp 1980
Phil Cox 1981
Todd May 1982
John Pelphrey 1987
Ritchie Farmer 1988
Charles Thomas 1995
Me 1998
That's cool I didn't realize JR was one
A question J.R.

What was the biggest achievement in your career??

The State Championship
The MR. Basketball Award
Playing D-I basketball 4 years
or
Playing profesionally??
congrats jr
Congrats to you J.R the stuff you did was pretty great for a mountain boy
"Moe" Wrote:Wasn't Charles Thomas from Harlan named Mr. Basketball between that time, I believe he was but I'm not positive about that. Later became a Minnesota Golden Gopher.

thanks... I wasn't sure if their was or was not...
Jeremy Hall from Allen Central was a stud. He went to Minnesota too I believe, but he left and came to EKU for some strange reason. I remember seeing him on Sportscenter a couple of times.
Jeremy Hall went to Wisconsin not Minnesota.
"JKWON33" Wrote:Jeremy Hall from Allen Central was a stud. He went to Minnesota too I believe, but he left and came to EKU for some strange reason. I remember seeing him on Sportscenter a couple of times.
Wisconsin.
Well I knew it was somewhere up in that area, didn't know that it was going to cause such a big stir on here. The game I was thinking about was the one he had at Minnesota, had a ton of threes. I remember him in a pre-season pan-o-rama at Sheldon Clark, guy had like 70 points or something like that.
"UKGIRL20" Wrote:Congrats to you J.R the stuff you did was pretty great for a mountain boy

I remember when he set the state record for blocks in a game against my SC Cardinals...i hated every minute of it but it was fun to watch. Does that make any sense?? :Hammer3:
"Moe" Wrote:A question J.R.

What was the biggest achievement in your career??

The State Championship
The MR. Basketball Award
Playing D-I basketball 4 years
or
Playing profesionally??

Biggest accomplishment? That is a great question. I would have to say winning the state tournament would have to be first. Why? Well, going into the District tournament that year we were 16-10 and no one really expected us to do very much if we even got to the Sweet 16. We just got on a roll, put all our "agendas" behind us, came together as a team and won 10 in a row. The best thing about it is wearing that ring and people asking if they could look at it. I can't believe it has been 10 years.

Second, I would have to say getting to play D-1 and playing against some great players. The best part was saving my mom and dad money by getting my education paid for. I stayed close to home because I wanted to be close to my family. I had a little brother and an older sister that I wanted to stay close to and watch grow up. I also experienced some tragedy while at Marshall as my great-grandfather passed away while I was a freshman and my grandfather passed away the next year. I was able to take time away from Marshall and come home and be with my family during that horrible time. I don't think I could have done that somehwere else, and being from Eastern KY people should realize how important family is.

Third, I loved playing professional basketball, even for the short time that I did. I think that I proved to people that I could do it. I wasn't too slow or unathletic, I could play with the pros. Spent some time in the NBDL (NBA minor league) with the North Charleston (SC) Lowgators and then some time in the USBL with the Charleston (WV) Miners. The last team ran out of money and the team folded so I had to find a job and began teaching. I still get calls from time to time from a guy in Luxembourg to go over and play but I make more teaching than I would by going over there.

I was proud to be named Mr. Basketball but that was more of an individual accomplsihment and it came becasue my team was successful.
"corndog23" Wrote:I remember when he set the state record for blocks in a game against my SC Cardinals...i hated every minute of it but it was fun to watch. Does that make any sense?? :Hammer3:

I think that I have been passed since then! I think I had 15 blocks that game, what I couldn't figure out was that after 7 or 8 why did they keep driving to the basket and shooting it!!! Smile Sorry though!!!!!!
Who was the last player to average a double and triple double over a season?
"J. R. VanHoose" Wrote:I think that I have been passed since then! I think I had 15 blocks that game, what I couldn't figure out was that after 7 or 8 why did they keep driving to the basket and shooting it!!! Smile Sorry though!!!!!!

Yeh i dont really understand that one either. lol. I guess thy thought you were getting tired!!Smile Smile Smile