Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: UK Is Getting A New Arena???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Cat fans. It seems UK might be getting a new basketball arena in the near future. It's not that we need to compete with Louisville and the Yum Center. I'd rather have Rupp then that red disaster. It just may be time for a new palace for the BLUE bloods of college basketball. On thing is either way we have to keep the Rupp Arena unless it's just remodeled and expanded. My Question to you is, Do you like the ideal of the new arena? What Should it be called? Also how many seats should we make it hold? We hold 24,000 plus now and we consistently win the annual attendance title. Comment with your opinions. GO BIG BLUE!!!!TongueirateSho
It's been in the works for years. The plans were first introduced five years ago
They were talking about a new arena in Lexington when I lived in CKY more than a decade ago. I will believe it when I see it.
I mean it would be nice to get a new arena with more technology like the YUM Center, but I'm perfectly fine with Rupp.
UK does need a new arena. It still needs to be downtown and it still needs to be at least 24,000 seats. What it needs more than anything is a better student section. Students need to be closer to the action. Actually, everyone needs to be closer to the action. Compare to almost every other arena, Rupp is very quiet. That needs to change. The most passionate fan base needs to appear that way when a game is on tv.
I think we do need a new arena, but name it the same thing. RUPP should always have his name with UK, but we can't let Louisville out do us with a better arena.
ahh i like rupp a whole lot! it just has its own smell of greatness!!! lol
comeback_kidxXx Wrote:Hey Cat fans. It seems UK might be getting a new basketball arena in the near future. It's not that we need to compete with Louisville and the Yum Center. I'd rather have Rupp then that red disaster. It just may be time for a new palace for the BLUE bloods of college basketball. On thing is either way we have to keep the Rupp Arena unless it's just remodeled and expanded. My Question to you is, Do you like the ideal of the new arena? What Should it be called? Also how many seats should we make it hold? We hold 24,000 plus now and we consistently win the annual attendance title. Comment with your opinions. GO BIG BLUE!!!!TongueirateSho
Rupp Arena isn't owned by UK. The city of Lexington owns it. I don't know if it is true or not, but I heard a figure once that it cost UK 50,000.00 a game for UK to play there, plus a percentage of the concessions.
TheRealVille Wrote:Rupp Arena isn't owned by UK. The city of Lexington owns it. I don't know if it is true or not, but I heard a figure once that it cost UK 50,000.00 a game for UK to play there, plus a percentage of the concessions.

i dont think thats true lol
comeback_kidxXx Wrote:Hey Cat fans. It seems UK might be getting a new basketball arena in the near future. It's not that we need to compete with Louisville and the Yum Center. I'd rather have Rupp then that red disaster. It just may be time for a new palace for the BLUE bloods of college basketball. On thing is either way we have to keep the Rupp Arena unless it's just remodeled and expanded. My Question to you is, Do you like the ideal of the new arena? What Should it be called? Also how many seats should we make it hold? We hold 24,000 plus now and we consistently win the annual attendance title. Comment with your opinions. GO BIG BLUE!!!!TongueirateSho

It can be called whatever the group who spends the $25M to build it wants to call it! They can call it the "Tampax Wet-Proof" for all I care, they dropped the dime on it!!!!
^It might be because they certainly make it back.

Quick math, if UK charged the same price for every ticket, lets say $20. 24,000 X 20=$480,000. Now if we take away the $50,000 venue fee, they still make $430,000 from it. If it were $40 per ticket, they would make a shade under 1 million dollars!!!

I have never been to a UK game, so I do not know how much tickets cost or what it costs to park. I am sure Rupp and UK make a pretty penny off of every game.
^ I've seen a breakdown once before, I'll see if I can find it. It was for a bengals game. It is unreal how much expenses are put on the ledger for an event. Insurance alone for a single event of 25K attendees might be $50K alone!
^I agree, that is why I said that whatever they charged, UK certainly makes it all back plus some.
Kentucky doesn't need a new arena. If they want to continue to update Rupp, then that would be OK.
looks like there just gonna renovate Rupp Arena instead of building a new one

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=95813
That is probably the smart thing to do.
if new arena i say we name it after mr. wildcat bill kightley!
Amun-Ra Wrote:UK does need a new arena. It still needs to be downtown and it still needs to be at least 24,000 seats. What it needs more than anything is a better student section. Students need to be closer to the action. Actually, everyone needs to be closer to the action. Compare to almost every other arena, Rupp is very quiet. That needs to change. The most passionate fan base needs to appear that way when a game is on tv.

To many old people paying way to much money for those seats for anything major to change. The real fans are in the nosebleed. That is the reason rupp is so quiet.
^ Unfortunately that is the truth. But, you can change that if they make significant changes to Rupp. Those lofty season ticket holders are still going to demand their prime seats, and without those people paying the insane amount of money that they do, you won't have a coached being paid $4M!
Stardust Wrote:^ Unfortunately that is the truth. But, you can change that if they make significant changes to Rupp. Those lofty season ticket holders are still going to demand their prime seats, and without those people paying the insane amount of money that they do, you won't have a coached being paid $4M!

I have been in the lower arena for one UK basketball game it wasn't fun at all. The upper arena is where it is at. But yeah I would love to see that change.
I think a newer, more modern arena in downtown and still part of the civic center would be something not just good for UK but good for Lexington. UK needs a better student section and the fans need to be more of the atmosphere. To renovate Rupp major changes would have to be made, mostly with the seating. The big speaker monster hanging above the court needs to go. Ribbon boards like the ones at Commonwealth need to be added.
Please don't get rid of Rupp! It will kill me! Kentucky basketball is Rupp Arena.
Quote:It can be called whatever the group who spends the $25M to build it wants to call it! They can call it the "Tampax Wet-Proof" for all I care, they dropped the dime on it!!!!

your a funny feller man, i like your sense of humor :blabbermo
I'd rather keep Rupp, and just renovate it. Definitely before you do anything, put the students closer to the floor. Screw the old people beside the floor that literally don't move all game, and put the students around there somewhere. Make it work to where they oldies are happy, and the students are able to be louder and make our arena louder.

If we did get a new one, I'd rather keep the Rupp name.
MisterPerfect Wrote:Please don't get rid of Rupp! It will kill me! Kentucky basketball is Rupp Arena.
Wrong. UK basketball was here way before Rupp Arena. While I like Rupp Arena, I know that is is and has always been like a tomb compared to other school's arena in terms of crowd sound and game impact.