Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What's Wrong with Wrestling: Where are the Vignettes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, they were hokie and impossible to believe. BUT - Isn't professional wrestling partly to do with suspending reality and putting the "Entertainment" into the name we now know?

Did anyone believe that Dusty Rhodes actually got run over by the Four Horsemen in their limo? Did we really believe that Mark Henry slept with and impregnated Mae Young, who just happened to bare her child (hand) for the camera to catch? Mick Foley and his puppet visiting Vince in the Hospital was almost as funny as Austin coming into the Hospital and beating the crap out of Vince.

What about Austin going to Pillman and Pillman SHOOTING Stone Cold (or that's what the announcers led us to believe)! What about the classic Kevin Sullivan Dungeon of doom, or Jake the Snake in the snake pit?

The only thing that I can give credence to even being on par as a vignette today was TNA's Television Champion, Eric Young, and his quest to find a real "Television" superstar that he could wrestle. His escapades to Los Angelos and eventual beat-down on the golf course of Scott Baio was one of the funniest vignettes I have seen - or maybe its because there are no vignettes anymore, it was funny!

Can't we get creative and "goofy" short storys anymore? Everything does not have to be live. Give me creativity!

Thoughts???
I think WCW killed it off with the goofy vignettes where they had a midget blowing up Davey Boy Smith and Sting's boat while they played beach volleyball or the Cactus Jack "Lost in Cleveland" fiasco.

I always thought the WWF did a great job with them, though. Of course, the talent that they were introducing had a lot to do with making the vignettes effective. I am giving them a pass on the Billionaire Ted mess. Desperate times called for desperate meausres, I guess. lol
^ Lol, those were good ones as well. Vignettes can still be dumb, yet entertaining. The Foley vignettes were so dumb that they made you laugh. It's a fine balance when they lose their appeal. The Billionaire Ted skits got redundant, but I still remember the boardroom skit - that was classic. I thought the Val Venis skits were bad, but at least they were well produced. I think you can help tell a story with them! Times are different Smile