Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: NFL's most underappreciated QBs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We're in an era of quarterback-dominated play, and because of that some of the old maxims don't capture what we're seeing. For instance, there isn't a single class of elite quarterbacks that simply dominate statistically from week to week. We have a sense of who the best are, but we're seeing massive yardage totals put up everywhere. The 400-yard game is becoming what had been the 300-yard game. Last year, eight quarterbacks passed for over 3,900 yards; in 2009, 10 quarterbacks topped 4,000 yards. That number could climb in 2011.

But as we debate what statistically seems to be a growing level of elite arms, I want to point out top traits of the most underappreciated guys from a film standpoint. And what better place to start, given the happenings of recent weeks, than with the Cowboys' signal-caller ...

Tony Romo
Negative perception: Good, not great quarterback; melts down in clutch

Underappreciated for: If you want the scouting report on Romo, talk to other quarterbacks around the NFL. Fans can't appreciate the way other players marvel at Romo. They simply shake their head at his talent. Romo is a brilliant, anticipatory thrower. He throws nearly as fast as Kurt Warner, who I consider the fastest ever in terms of making throws off early anticipation of a read. On film, you'll see he consistently throws well before guys get into breaks in their routes. You have to get your head up with Romo, because the ball will be on you. Ask Jason Witten, who teams do everything to cover but still gets his because Romo can deliver so early.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story?id=...ciated-qbs

Who is you most under-appreciated QB?
Tom Brady.
^ I think that is legit, and unless you are just being flippant, give me your reasons? I think that Brady get's so much credit, it gets lost just how really good he is! Accolades don't really do him justice!
Matt Ryan
Stardust Wrote:^ I think that is legit, and unless you are just being flippant, give me your reasons? I think that Brady get's so much credit, it gets lost just how really good he is! Accolades don't really do him justice!

I feel like everybody has forgotten what he's done because the media over hypes Peyton Manning, and now Aaron Rodgers. Both those guys are great, but Brady has been better. Not to mention the one time he gets a true #1 receiver he has the best season a QB has EVER had. Look what he's doing now with a bunch of #2 and #3 receivers. Manning and now Rodgers pretty much has a all star receiving cast.
Most under-appreciated, right now, is Ryan Fitzpatrick.
^ You know, there is validity in that. He did not get the job done against the Bengals, but then again, the Bengals D is the best that he has faced
Ben Roethlisberger.
More rings than everyone except Brady. More 4th qtr comebacks than ANYONE since he came into the league in '04. Is maybe the best Ive ever seen at extending the play and waiting for his receivers to get open down field. His toughness is unquestionable. He actually is BETTER when hes got pressure coming. If ANY of the QBs that are regualarly ranked ahead of him took half the beating hes taken (I know he brings some of that on himself) theyd be out of the league by now. And yes Id say all this about him even if I wasnt a Steelers fan.
Tim Tebow
Aslan Wrote:I feel like everybody has forgotten what he's done because the media over hypes Peyton Manning, and now Aaron Rodgers. Both those guys are great, but Brady has been better. Not to mention the one time he gets a true #1 receiver he has the best season a QB has EVER had. Look what he's doing now with a bunch of #2 and #3 receivers. Manning and now Rodgers pretty much has a all star receiving cast.

Wes welker is a #2 receiver?
Aslan Wrote:I feel like everybody has forgotten what he's done because the media over hypes Peyton Manning, and now Aaron Rodgers. Both those guys are great, but Brady has been better. Not to mention the one time he gets a true #1 receiver he has the best season a QB has EVER had. Look what he's doing now with a bunch of #2 and #3 receivers. Manning and now Rodgers pretty much has a all star receiving cast.

lol what? You forgetting Wes Welker? And I have no idea what you're talking about with Peyton Manning..I can't remember a year that he got more hype than Tom besides when the Colts went to the Superbowl. He gets more hype for breaking records I guess..but that's only because he breaks records, lol. Everyone knows Tom is a winner.

Also, I'd rather have one Wes Welker than Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon...
vundy33 Wrote:lol what? You forgetting Wes Welker? And I have no idea what you're talking about with Peyton Manning..I can't remember a year that he got more hype than Tom besides when the Colts went to the Superbowl. He gets more hype for breaking records I guess..but that's only because he breaks records, lol. Everyone knows Tom is a winner.

Also, I'd rather have one Wes Welker than Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon...

Lol oops. He has 2 MVP that he didn't deserve
Big Ben!! And I'm not being just a loner, but honest to god. The guy has 2 super bowl rings!!
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Manning has one 2 maps when rivers and breed has put up Beyer numbers if I remember correctly

What? lol bro, I think auto-correct got ahold of that post..
^Lol,
vundy33 Wrote:What? lol bro, I think auto-correct got ahold of that post..

It kind my ass.
I seen Vick take 4 late hits today in the pocket and not one roughing the passer. Brady gets pushes to the ground within the step and a half and a ref across the field throws the flag. Not the one directly behind him. I hate superstar treatment. It completely changes a game and is unfair to the other players.
I don't think Welker excels in any other system than the Patriots. Same thing happened to Deion Branch when he left and went to Seattle.
Aslan Wrote:I don't think Welker excels in any other system than the Patriots. Same thing happened to Deion Branch when he left and went to Seattle.

Why exactly wouldn't he excel? He is a tremendous athlete, Great route runner, And just to fast to guard.
Gah, I think he would. He's tough as nails AND just as fast as anyone in the league. You don't see that combo very often...I think he'd play above most of the #1 WR's on other teams. You can just put it anywhere and he will do good things with the ball, no matter what he has to do.

I'm not a Pats fan, but I'm a Wes Welker fan.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Why exactly wouldn't he excel? He is a tremendous athlete, Great route runner, And just to fast to guard.

Deion Branch was too before he left New England. He was the freaking Superbowl MVP.
Aslan Wrote:Deion Branch was too before he left New England. He was the freaking Superbowl MVP.

He went to the seahawks and actually did well with a worthless QB until he was plagued by injury. You put welker with a Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Romo, Rivers and he is just as deadly as he is now.
Hasselbeck is far from a worthless QB.
lol, He was worthless when Deion was there..
Aslan Wrote:Hasselbeck is far from a worthless QB.

He is not an Elite, And never was.

vundy33 Wrote:lol, He was worthless when Deion was there..

Yes Yes lol, NOt to mention Branch being injured.
It has to be Ben Roethlisberger and Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Welker would excel in any system that has an elite QB. For a player that is as fast and cuts as hard as he does, you have to be deadly accurate.
Hasselbeck don't have to be elite. He's a damn good QB who's also unappreciated because he's played in Seattle and Tennessee. Before Branch when to Seattle he was the Superbowl MVP and the Pats #1 receiver. Tom is an elite QB and made him look much better than he actually was. Branch goes to Seattle and puts up decent numbers at best, with a good QB. Any "#1 receiver" should be able to put up good numbers with a good QB as well.
I just can't see Welker putting up #1 receiver type numbers outside of New England.
Aslan Wrote:Hasselbeck don't have to be elite. He's a damn good QB who's also unappreciated because he's played in Seattle and Tennessee. Before Branch when to Seattle he was the Superbowl MVP and the Pats #1 receiver. Tom is an elite QB and made him look much better than he actually was. Branch goes to Seattle and puts up decent numbers at best, with a good QB. Any "#1 receiver" should be able to put up good numbers with a good QB as well.
I just can't see Welker putting up #1 receiver type numbers outside of New England.

Well, I can agree with you a bit there, but that's the past. Deion isn't a #1 WR anywhere now, he's an old guy.

Times have changed, and I think the times of Brady being steps ahead of anyone else in skill and winning are over. Brady had gotten plenty enough respect over the years...he's won quite a few Superbowls, been an MVP and Pro-Bowler more times than I can count. That's the definition of appreciated in the NFL, lol. There's guys on his level now, a guy named Aaron Rodgers especially, as much as I hate to say that..it's just the truth.

All ya gotta do is watch Wes Welker play...he doesn't have the body that most other big-time WR's have, but his work ethic and love for catching that ball more than make up for it, and it's shown, especially this year. You put any other QB behind him and he's going to do good, and put a top QB behind him and he's going to do just as good as he's doing now, in my opinion.

By the way, do the Packers play the Pats this year?
I looked it up myself, and no, they don't play each other this year. Be one hell of a SuperBowl matchup though...