Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Saints 30 - Panthers 27
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This was one heck of a game!
Cam Newton continues to impress me.

Congrats Saints!
I expected the Saints to stop Cam, but wow did he look good!
I drafted him with my last pick as a joke. lol.
^ I sure hope he is your starter???
Moved him up after Week 1. Haven't lost a game since.
^ LOL, smart man!
Where's Midee at? I'll have to eat some crow on this one.
I'm here but I'm not expecting to serve any crow. I didn't watch the game but from the line scores Carolina made a heck of a game of it any NO was lucky to get out of there with the W.
This was a excellent game!! Cam Newton proved to me today, (even in a losing effort) that he is already one of the top QB's today!!
Congrats Saints!!
Wrap-up: Saints 30, Panthers 27
October, 9, 2011

By Pat Yasinskas
Thoughts on the New Orleans Saints’ 30-27 victory against the Carolina Panthers at Bank of America Stadium:

What it means: The gap in competitive balance between the top and bottom of the NFC South has narrowed. The gap in the standings has not. As they’ve been doing most of the season, the Panthers kept things very close. They played a New Orleans team that’s been to the playoffs the past two seasons very tightly. But, ultimately, Drew Brees and the Saints rallied to score (on a touchdown pass to Pierre Thomas) with 50 seconds remaining. That puts the Saints at 4-1 and, depending on how Tampa Bay does in its later game at San Francisco, no worse than a share of first place in the division. The Panthers are much improved and there’s little doubt they’ll pull off some upsets later in the year. But the bottom line is Carolina is 1-4.

Weirdest scene of the day: John Kasay in a Saints uniform. Yes, this was the fifth game Kasay has played for the Saints. But seeing him go against the Panthers in Bank of America Stadium seemed very odd. Kasay joined the Panthers when they were an expansion team in 1995 and was with them until he was released as the lockout came to an end.

Weirdest call of the day: A timeout by the Panthers with two seconds left in the first half as the Saints were scrambling to get on the field to kick a field goal. It appeared the clock would have run out before New Orleans could get a kick off. But the timeout allowed the Saints to get set and Kasay made the field goal to give New Orleans a 20-13 halftime lead.

Unconventional wisdom: Who says the option can’t work in the NFL? It can when Carolina’s Cam Newton is running it. He pitched to DeAngelo Williams out of the option for a 69-yard touchdown run in the second quarter. Newton also kept the ball on an option play for a crucial first down early in the fourth quarter.

Keeping his cool: Carolina receiver Steve Smith got into a scuffle after catching a touchdown pass late in the first quarter. That’s not unusual for the feisty Smith. But before you go saying Smith was up to his old tricks, he wasn’t. Smith didn’t start this one. New Orleans safety Roman Harper started it when he hit Smith, after it was clear the receiver already had crossed the goal line.

Rising star: Much like safety Malcolm Jenkins did last year, New Orleans cornerback Patrick Robinson is emerging in his second season. Robinson picked off Newton early and had a nice return to set up a New Orleans touchdown early in the game.

What’s next: The Saints play the Buccaneers next Sunday at Raymond James Stadium. The Panthers play the Atlanta Falcons next Sunday at the Georgia Dome.
thedealer12 Wrote:This was a excellent game!! Cam Newton proved to me today, (even in a losing effort) that he is already one of the top QB's today!!
Congrats Saints!!

oh, btw Stardust, you forgot the "H" in Panthers...lol.

Uhh, no.
thedealer12 Wrote:This was a excellent game!! Cam Newton proved to me today, (even in a losing effort) that he is already one of the top QB's today!!
Congrats Saints!!

oh, btw Stardust, you forgot the "H" in Panthers...lol.

I went to Campbell County High School for 4 years - We only get "G" in the alphabet in that amount of time. I'd have had to go three more years to get the rest of the letters but I had already qualified for welfare, so I felt there was no need to finish!Confusednicker:
Man I thought Carolina was gonna pull this out. Up 27-24 on NO with minutes left in the 4th. I had a smile from ear to ear thinking I was gonna get Midee1 a new avatar.
Midee1, go ahead and do your damn'dest.