Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Boone County 24, Simon Kenton 6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
final
congrats to BC
Still looks like BC is the best team in 6A NKY!
In hopes of helping a passing game that struggled the last couple of weeks, Boone County coach Rick Thompson decided to have his team run the ball more often on Friday night and it produced the desired result.

Boone County rushed for 185 yards, got a couple of big passing plays from senior quarterback Kameron Schwartz and its defense was totally dominant in a 24-6 win over Simon Kenton at Irv Goode Field/Owen Hauck Stadium.

Thompson had his offense often line up in the I-Formation with two tight ends and only wide receiver or one tight end, a wing back or extra fullback and only wide receiver and had seniors Cody Rodriguez and Bryson Thompson split time at tailback. The duo ran most of the time between the tackles and combined to carry 38 times for 170 yards.

"To help our passing game we have to more consistent in the running game and we have to be more physical and I thought we were for the most part," said Thompson. "We were able to make some plays in the passing game because of that. The key to the whole thing is just being patient. Running the ball like that allows us to do that."

Schwartz, who was just 12 of 32 for 141 yards in the last two games combined, both losses, was 6 of 14 for 89 yards, but one of his completions went for a 38-yard touchdown to senior Denzel Cain. Schwartz was 5 of 11 for 84 yards in the first half and went over 1,000 yards passing for the season as he needed just 36 yards entering the game to do so.

Rodriguez carried 22 times for 103 yards.

"I love that smash mouth football," said Rodriguez. "I was born in Texas coming from there and playing out of the 'I' like they do there is like a dream come true. Coach said early in the week we might as well go back where we started, we're going back to the 'I.' Running between the tackles it's like we're coming at you and we'll see who has what."

Boone County (5-3 overall, 1-2 Class 6A, District 6) rushed for 124 yards on 27 carries in the first half when the game was basically decided.

Simon Kenton (2-5, 0-3) grabbed a 6-0 lead less than two minutes into the game when senior Jake Schneider blockded a punt by Boone County junior Blake Ingolia and sophomore Mikey Krallman fell on it in the end zone.

The Pioneers couldn't do anything on the offensive in the half, going three-and-out on its first five series and not recording a single first down.

Despite that they maintained the 6-0 lead until almost midway into the second quarter, thanks in part to senior Trey Pinkelton blocking a 23-yard field goal attempt by Boone County's Cory Black less than a minute into the second quarter.

Boone County used a short field though to take the lead when three plays after taking over at the Simon Kenton 37 following a punt, Thompson went off right tackle, broke a tackle at the 15-yard line and went into the end zone to give the Rebels a 7-6 lead with 7:29 left in the first half.

Simon Kenton quickly went three-and-out on its next possession and sophomore Tyler Smith's punt was blocked into the end zone by Boone County senior Cole Vires and senior linebacker Mikel Reynolds fell on it in the end zone upping the lead to 14-6 less than a minute later.

"I kind of had to idle down there, because I didn't want to overrun it, so I just fell on it and tucked up and it was a great feeling," said Reynolds.

A little over three minutes later, Schwartz hit Cain on a short out pattern, Cain broke a tackle a the 30 and went the rest of the way for the touchdown.

Boone County's defense finished by allowing Simon Kenton just 90 yards and four first downs in the game.

"Missed tackles have been a big thing on our defense and we emphasized not missing any tackles this week," said Reynolds. "We were struggling with a lot of little things, so it just feels good to get a defensive shutout. It's good to get back to winning."

Simon Kenton 6 0 0 0 -- 6
Boone County 0 21 3 0 -- 24

SK-Krallman recovered blocked punt in end zone (run failed)

BC-Thompson 20 run (Black kick)

BC-Reynolds recovered blocked punt in end zone (Black kick)

BC-Cain 38 pass from Schwartz (Black kick)

BC-FG Black 25

Records: Simon Kenton 2-5 (0-3, Class 6A, District 6); Boone County 5-3 (2-1).