Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: How good would Harlan County have been if....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
All of the schools wouldnt have combined?
What if Evarts, Cumberland, and Cawood wouldnt have consolidated??
How would those schools have looked?
What kids would be playing where?

I thought this could be interesting, especially with the season HC is having to think about the what if.
Im especially interested in knowing what kids would be playing for what schools. Would it break up the entire backfield maybe? Who would you see as the best team?

Interesting to think about.
Evarts would be fair. Cumberland would more than likely would of been the better of the 3. But Cawood would play with cumberland and possibly might beat them.
I think it'd be about like it always was. Each team would have some talent, but not enough to get to a higher level, except for a special team that popped up now and again. I don't know that some of the kids would've have developed as quickly as they have at HCHS if they were in the other schools. The facilities allowed to these kids have played a big part in where they are now.

Don't get me wrong...the teams would be competitive, they usually were, but nowhere in the galaxy of where HC is.
The consolidation of the county schools changed the entire complexity of football in both of the remaining schools in the county. IMO.
You know as a kid I always wondered how good we could be if combined. Imagine the depth if only CUmberland and Cawood combined in the season of 82. David Hensley and Bobby McQuilham on the same team? Are you serious? Cumberland and Cawood had enough skill and depth between them to contend for the title in any class. Not to disrespect Evarts but Karst was all I really remember from a very hard nosed Wildcat team, and he was pretty good as well.

A bit off topic I know....sorry
Had the schools not consolidated Coach Larkey would have never been in Harlan County! Not knocking our Harlan County Coaches but Coach Larkey is something special that's why he's at HCHS.

As for the players, the 1st team was dominated by Cumberland players because they were the best athletes had the schools not consolidated Cumberland could had challenged for a 1A title in 2008 IMO. Now there is a geat mix. The freshmen that are working their way through the Black Bear system would have been playing varsity at the other schools from day one learning as they go don't know if that's good or bad but I do know I love my Black Bears and the Trojans, Wildcats, and Redskins could not have brought this county together like Black Bear Football has! We are BLACK BEAR NATION
I think Harlan and Bell should mesh together and dominate all classes. Mountain dynomite. Ye Haw! :biglmao:
Bear_Paw Wrote:You know as a kid I always wondered how good we could be if combined. Imagine the depth if only CUmberland and Cawood combined in the season of 82. David Hensley and Bobby McQuilham on the same team? Are you serious? Cumberland and Cawood had enough skill and depth between them to contend for the title in any class. Not to disrespect Evarts but Karst was all I really remember from a very hard nosed Wildcat team, and he was pretty good as well.

A bit off topic I know....sorry

I've thought the same thing.
Cawood couldn't get past Danville in the mid 80s and Danville went on to win a 3A state title. I think just adding Freddie Maggard would have been enough to get them over the top.
It would have been downright scary in the early 80s. Besides Hensley and McIlquham, you had Tony Sanford (EKU), Doug Collins (Union), Tim Miniard (Union) and those great athletes from Cumberland and the linemen on both sides (Dixon, Allen etc..from Cumberland) and Billy Cole, Jeff Langford, etc...from Cawood.
I think Cawood would/could have been a 2A top 10 team.

Brewer
McMillian
Smith
Maggard
Whitehead
Calton
Cooper
Caldwell
Chitwood
^
Thats what i was talking about.
All of these kids on the same team?
Thats crazy
HDE Wrote:I think Cawood would/could have been a 2A top 10 team.

Brewer
McMillian
Smith
Maggard
Whitehead
Calton
Cooper
Caldwell
Chitwood

Would enrollment keep them in the traditional class you are used to seeing?
What would LCC and HCC looked liked if they consolidated 15 years ago? The rivalry would have been a great history.
How many state finals and titles has Harlan Co. had?
^Same amount as Campbell Co.

0!!
Ballers Wrote:^Same amount as Campbell Co.

0!!

He meant Harlan County as a whole, not just the school. I'd say.

1986 Cumberland 12 Heath 27 L
1983 Cumberland 13 Russellville 42 L
1982 Cumberland 6 Paris 35 L
1971 Lynch East Main 23 Trigg County 30 L
1970 Lynch East Main 6 Bardstown 6 L
1968 Lynch East Main 14 Frankfort 6 W
1963 Lynch East Main 13 Shelbyville 6 W
1962 Lynch East Main 0 Versailles 21 L
1961 Lynch East Main 13 Murray 14 L
1960 Lynch East Main 39 Murray 0 W
1959 Lynch East 40 Henderson Douglas 0 W

Harlan County is 4-7 in STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS!
Ballers Wrote:^Same amount as Campbell Co.

0!!

It wasn't a knock, just wanted to know what they have done
Stardust Wrote:It wasn't a knock, just wanted to know what they have done

And mine was just a joke old friend Wink
^ No, you were be sarcastic and trying to pick on another member of the site ---- AND I LOVED IT!!!! Wink
cougarpride08 Wrote:What would LCC and HCC looked liked if they consolidated 15 years ago? The rivalry would have been a great history.

or 30 for that Matter
In football Cawood would've probably had the upper hand but if we're talking about the schools in a whole, then Cumberland would've been my choice at least for 4 years with that class of freshmen from last year(sophomores now) til their senior year.