Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Should teams play starters on last game of season if the games means nothing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
looks like bell co and harlan co will have district wraped up come time for this game. i think it will be a great game if both coaches play the starters. but with the playoff picture set in stone for the following week how would you handle this. i think this game should be played mid season.
Anyone banged up for Bell will not play if I had to guess. Be nice to win but not a top priority for Bell, that would be Corbin and playoff's.
I dont think they should but id play my starters a half and then probably rest them.
Play your starters always is the way i look at it
rustyankle Wrote:Play your starters always is the way i look at it

i agree
starters 4 qtrs
Play every game to win.
you play your starters, cause sitting them out could make healthy players flat come playoff time.
If the kids want to play, let them play. Setting them out to protect them just denies the kid the opportunity to play IMO, they practiced all week, so let them play.
These kids only get 40-60 Games in a high school career you can't deny a kid that oppurtunity.
Ask the Indy Colts about resting starters with the playoffs in the bag. A late season loss even when playing the JV could still hurt a teams moral. Possibly throw timing off, or other aspects im not thinking of right now.

I know ultimately the season is all about one thing. A state championship. But I say you should do it by playing hard every single game leading up to it.

Im sure they are a lot of coaches out there that disagree though. The safe play is probably the smartest. I mean im sure a lot of people cant name any undefeated teams who didnt win it all. But Im sure the same people know who won the title that year.

I can see both sides. Good topic.
As much as we would all like to be coaches (which some of us are not knocking anyone) we are not. I just dont think the coaches scheduled this game to rest starters, if they wanted to do that they would have scheduled a weaker team. I think each team has this game as a final measuring stick to watch game film on and work on their weaknesses going into the playoffs. Besides Harlan Co. will rest some starters in the 4th quater.
why not take the oportunity to mix in second string players early, allow starters to mentor them and build depth. Likewise starters get some rest but also playing time to shake off rust. Let the injured heal but let the healthy starters play about half of the snaps.
It's Bell County's Senior Night....
I don't see them resting their players.
Especially the Seniors lol
Alpha_Male Wrote:As much as we would all like to be coaches (which some of us are not knocking anyone) we are not. I just dont think the coaches scheduled this game to rest starters, if they wanted to do that they would have scheduled a weaker team. I think each team has this game as a final measuring stick to watch game film on and work on their weaknesses going into the playoffs. Besides Harlan Co. will rest some starters in the 4th quater.

I'm sure when Bill Letton scheduled Lex Cath to play Bowling Green to finish the season he had every intention on trying to win the game. If he didn't then why would he have scheduled them to begin with?
I think that you have to rest anyone that might be dinged up a bit, but these games are the perfect time to work on anything new. I would play the first team at least a few series just to keep them mentally focused.
Most teams that are looking at making a run for a state championship will have a bye the next week(1st round). I would play my starters and get tuned up for the playoffs. The first playoff of game for most teams will be over by half.. No rest for the starters
I would say no 90% of the time, but in Breathitt's case where the starters have not played a full game in 3-4 straight games, I would play them just to get the reps and such.
I think you play this game just like the previous 8 or 9 games. It's gonna be a big boost in the playoffs for the team that wins that game. If we are speciffically talking about the Bell/HC game,then "best in the mountains" is on the line. It would be hard to overlook that and would it be fair to the loser's or the winner's player's? I don't think so.