Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Coach of the Year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Who Do You Think You Be Coach Of The Year In Each Class
In 3A you've got to say Coach Haywood because of the record
Brian Turner, Morgan county. Took over a team 2 years ago that was on a 19 game losing streak. Morgan is 4-1 and beat Middlesboro last night, biggest win in school history.
To those that have read my posts in this forum over the last couple or three seasons, you know I have been very critical of Scott Parkey from Rockcastle County.

He was one of my favorite teachers in middle school, he is just a really nice guy and a GREAT motivator. However, up until this point, he had shown no signs of being the guy to follow Tom Larkey's massive legacy at Rockcastle County.

I will give credit where it is due, he is right now, IMO, the 4A Coach of the Year. Many people on this site, I can go back and dig it up, either laughed, scoffed or called RIUTG crazy for putting the Rockets in the 4A and Mountain Top 10. Now, nobody is doing anything but agreeing.

People expected Rockcastle to be better than their terrible season last year but did anyone see them as a CLEAR Top 10 4A or Mountain team? I didn't.

Let me keep some perspective. Even if Scott goes 10-0 in the regular season, it is possible. He has still not completely proven himself to me. I need to see him do well when all the talent goes away. If he can win 7 games with the Rockets next season and keep them a district and regional contender, he has my appreciation. He always has my support because I like him and because he is the current head coach of my alma-mater.

Coach Parkey, if you are reading this, I wish you the best and hope you have all the success in the world. Don't let people like me get you down. No matter what I might say, at the end of the day, you are still the coach. (Sappy much? lol)
Id say right now Tony Burchett from Powell Co is a contender in 3A
Mark Brown - John Hardin - 5A
pirate fanatic Wrote:Id say right now Tony Burchett from Powell Co is a contender in 3A

I would agree. Burchett and Haywood would be my vote-getters. Guess we'll see what happens in the post-season.
I do believe that if Powell can upset Garrard County (Probably there toughest opponent on the season) Coach Burchett would have to be considered 3A Coach of the year
Haywood.. Hands down.. record speaks for itself.. 3 to go coach.. go pirates..
I have to say COACH CHAPMAN in 3 A, he has turned the HAWKS into a winning program.THANK U COACH.
:flame:Confusedinglepar:hilarious::ChairHit:5A Mike Whitaker of Letcher County Central. Best hire the superintendent ever made. Well worth the money, the vehicle and the gas card he used to go hunting with to get this man for the program....
Haywood, quality for not just this year, but for a long time!
LWC Wrote:To those that have read my posts in this forum over the last couple or three seasons, you know I have been very critical of Scott Parkey from Rockcastle County.

He was one of my favorite teachers in middle school, he is just a really nice guy and a GREAT motivator. However, up until this point, he had shown no signs of being the guy to follow Tom Larkey's massive legacy at Rockcastle County.

I will give credit where it is due, he is right now, IMO, the 4A Coach of the Year. Many people on this site, I can go back and dig it up, either laughed, scoffed or called RIUTG crazy for putting the Rockets in the 4A and Mountain Top 10. Now, nobody is doing anything but agreeing.

People expected Rockcastle to be better than their terrible season last year but did anyone see them as a CLEAR Top 10 4A or Mountain team? I didn't.

Let me keep some perspective. Even if Scott goes 10-0 in the regular season, it is possible. He has still not completely proven himself to me. I need to see him do well when all the talent goes away. If he can win 7 games with the Rockets next season and keep them a district and regional contender, he has my appreciation. He always has my support because I like him and because he is the current head coach of my alma-mater.

Coach Parkey, if you are reading this, I wish you the best and hope you have all the success in the world. Don't let people like me get you down. No matter what I might say, at the end of the day, you are still the coach. (Sappy much? lol)

Only problem I have with Parkey being Coach of the Year is this.
The schedule:

Sheldon Clark
0wins

Frankfort
1 win, beat Sheldon Clark

Estill Co
1 win

Whitley co
2 wins

Pulaski
1 win

yeah We beat Perry Cent, who has 5 wins but who couldnt go 5-0 vs. the 1st five teams
You beat who you schedule. He obviously made that schedule to build confidence back in himself and for the players. Starting last week, the schedule got tougher. Remember, Sheldon Clark has been disappointing, and Pulaski County is usually very good.
^
And Rock hadnt beat Whitley since the stone age
LWC Wrote:You beat who you schedule. He obviously made that schedule to build confidence back in himself and for the players. Starting last week, the schedule got tougher. Remember, Sheldon Clark has been disappointing, and Pulaski County is usually very good.

If you schedule easy then maybe someone else deserves the award based on toughness of schedule.

Russell Co is doing pretty good, they are 5-0 and played some good schools.
I would have to agree. Coach Chapman has brought the football program at Pike Central a long way in the past 3 years.
former Wrote:If you schedule easy then maybe someone else deserves the award based on toughness of schedule.

Russell Co is doing pretty good, they are 5-0 and played some good schools.

Actually, we are 6-0.

As far as coach of the year..............way too much season left to even think about it. But at this point in the season, I think any of the following schools coaches would be contenders:

Glasgow, Bowling Green, John Hopkins, Madisonville, North Laurel, South Laurel, Casey County, Wayne County, Rockcastle, Russell Co, and I'm sure there are a several I'm not thinking about right now.
I think the Powell County Coach,Morgan County Brian Turner,Russell County Coach,Ashland Coach,PCC Justin Haddix.I think these teams coaches should be in the running for turning around their program. The Haywood,Holcomb,Matney,Dixion are expected to win year after year. These programs that I listed are not use to winning maybe except Ashland(they have been down in recent years so I thought they are really turning some heads this year). These coaches and teams have made huge strides this year and deserve to be recognized. I'm I not try to take away from Holcomb or Haywood because they deserve to be mention to, but I just like see underdogs win sometimes.
How about Tom Larky?
^It goes to the age old debate:

Should a coach who is expected to win get C.O.t.Y?

I have no problem with it, but usually what you see are coaches that turn around teams or win with less.
LWC Wrote:^It goes to the age old debate:

Should a coach who is expected to win get C.O.t.Y?

I have no problem with it, but usually what you see are coaches that turn around teams or win with less.

I think it boils down to the coach who does the best job getting his team to perform better as a whole than the talent level of their players as individuals.

If a team like this years Boyle Co who started out slow comes back and wins the state title...........then their coach deserves to be considered. If a team like my Lakers finishes the year winning the district and perhaps a playoff game or two, then our coach deserves to be considered.

A coach becoming the all-time winning-est coach deserves a totally different award unto itself, but I'll bet it won't compare to the memories and personal gratitude he'll feel from having had the opportunity to have been involved in so many young men's lives for so many years.
former Wrote:Only problem I have with Parkey being Coach of the Year is this.
The schedule:

Sheldon Clark
0wins

Frankfort

Estill Co
1 win

Whitley co
2 wins

Pulaski
1 win

yeah We beat Perry Cent, who has 5 wins but who couldnt go 5-0 vs. the 1st five teams

umm JC, KNOX and P-Burg are pretty good I thought.......
former Wrote:Only problem I have with Parkey being Coach of the Year is this.
The schedule:

Sheldon Clark
0wins

Frankfort

Estill Co
1 win

Whitley co
2 wins

Pulaski
1 win

umm JC, KNOX and P-Burg are pretty good. Atleast thats what I thought.......
Alpha_Male Wrote:umm JC, KNOX and P-Burg are pretty good. Atleast thats what I thought.......

never said they were not good
Eddie Melton- Leslie Co.

He has taken a program that had been driven in the dirt, and restored it to respectible program again.. Not so many years ago, Leslie had barely over 20 playing.. Now Leslie has 58 players and a 4-2 record and they are competing..
Bigblue#4 Wrote:I think the Powell County Coach,Morgan County Brian Turner,Russell County Coach,Ashland Coach,PCC Justin Haddix.I think these teams coaches should be in the running for turning around their program. The Haywood,Holcomb,Matney,Dixion are expected to win year after year. These programs that I listed are not use to winning maybe except Ashland(they have been down in recent years so I thought they are really turning some heads this year). These coaches and teams have made huge strides this year and deserve to be recognized. I'm I not try to take away from Holcomb or Haywood because they deserve to be mention to, but I just like see underdogs win sometimes.

Isn't there more pressure on a coach if he is "expected to win" year after year? Just because a coach puts his heart into his job and is successful year after year shouldn't be grounds for disqualification for recognition.
You would have to consider Craig Yeast at Bryan Station for the turn around that team has made in 6A
I think coach Larkey deserves high consideration for 5A. He's done a good job of keeping his team humble despite the hype surrounding the program within that county
What team does Larkey coach?
Pages: 1 2 3