Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell Co 33 - Letcher Central 7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final
Was it close early? I thought it was 13-7 at halftime, but I am now thinking that I was wrong.
No disrespect, but kinda figure the Cougars would struggle without the field general (L. Johnson.)
ir

Congrats Russell Co.
Lakers sitting at the top of 4A with a 6-0 record.......
^Tied with their district opponent for next week, Rockcastle County.
LWC Wrote:Was it close early? I thought it was 13-7 at halftime, but I am now thinking that I was wrong.

It was 19-7 at half. the score was 13-7, but we got the ball on our 25 with 1:06 left in the 2nd Qtr and scored with :46 left. Went for 2 and fumbled the snap.

Not sure on Britt's yardage, probably less than 100, but had 2 TD's. Our run blocking was really poor. If we don't step it up we will be in for a long night next Friday.

The defense played the best they have all year. Forced 2 fumbles and an interception on LCC's first 3 possessions. The ball seldom left LCC's side of the field during the entire game.
MVP2 Wrote:No disrespect, but kinda figure the Cougars would struggle without the field general (L. Johnson.)

Congrats Russell Co.

No disrespect taken, but their replacement QB played a really solid game. He passed the ball extremely well and didn't really make any mistakes. This game was all about D-line from both teams. They didn't allow our run blocking, and we kept constant pressure on their QB. I don't think they had a gain over 3-yards during their first 4 or 5 possessions.

The officiating in this game was bad; really bad. Not so much biased, just horrible officiating....hope they were just having a bad game themselves.
9/23/2011
Russell Co. 33 Letcher Co. Central 14

Letcher Co. Central 0 7 0 7 14
Russell Co. 6 13 14 0 33
Scoring summary:
R--Lucas Williams 30 field goal; R--Williams 37 field goal; R--Nick Britt 3 run (Williams kick); L--Matt Boggs 11 pass from Houston Watts (Sydney Fields); R--Blake Ellis 14 pass from Barton Mann (kick failed); R--Darrell Mealey 35 interception return (Williams kick).
Records: Russell Co. 6-0, Letcher Co. Central 2-4.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/08/17/13961...z1YqFXLygu
Russell Co. had a short field the entire 1st quarter and only managed two field goals. Letcher scored with about two minutes to go in the half to pull the score to 13-7. Then Russell scord right back in about two plays to push the lead to 19-7 at the half. Then Russell scored on the first play from scrimmage in the second half to put the game out of reach.

I cant wait to see next weeks game.
Thank goodness we have a bye.
Pretty sure laker20 must have been watching a different game. I was there and never heard a coach yell anything at the officials. In fact I heard many fans say it was one of the best officiated games they have seen in some time.
Congrats Russell Co
zebra'seyes Wrote:Pretty sure laker20 must have been watching a different game. I was there and never heard a coach yell anything at the officials. In fact I heard many fans say it was one of the best officiated games they have seen in some time.
Sorry Zebra'sEyes. I don't know who Laker20 is but I must have been sitting close to him at the game. I agree that the game was not very well officiated. I will say it was consistent for both sides. I haven't reviewed the film yet but know it will show that many plays to the outside will reveal the corners getting pushed down from behind. Quite a bit of holding as well. I think the players just realized it was going to be allowed and began taking advantage of it. I don't particularly have a big issue with loosely called games so long as it is consistent on both sides.
zebra'seyes Wrote:Pretty sure laker20 must have been watching a different game. I was there and never heard a coach yell anything at the officials. In fact I heard many fans say it was one of the best officiated games they have seen in some time.

Maybe you should watch it again. I have, and my opinion second time around is the same.

On the LC TD their receiver shoved our corner down in the end zone while the ball was in the air. An obvious Off. Pass Int. On the LC's only drive down field in the 2nd half there should have been a number of holding calls against LC...on one particular pass play one of our lineman slipped on a rush and the LC defender held him down with his hands for a good 4-5 seconds. Then after we held them on that drive we were facing 2nd and long and our QB threw for an incomplete pass and one of LC's lineman took at least 3 steps after the ball left his hand and planted him.....again no call.

I don't think that there were any bad penalties called, there were just a handful of obvious ones that weren't. I don't think it would have made any difference in the game....I just hate when the officiating doesn't match the quality level of the game being played.

Is the fact that your user name is zebra'seyes mean that you are in fact one of the officials. If so, no disrespect intended....I just don't think it was a good performance from the stripped shirts. The game last week was one of the best officiated games I've seen in a while.........could have been the same crew.
I would say Letcher county fans could say the same thing about Russell Co. holding them a few times. Being offsides by a couple of inches on a few kickoffs. I saw a Russell County player pancake a letcher county player 40 yards away from the ball one time. I have seen some crews that would have called every little thing and there would have been 50 penalties. And we would still be there this morning watching the 4th quarter. I don't think it was a perfect game from the stripes but I think it was a well officiated game.

I think the Russell County Rock game will be a dandy.
Willie Turnover Wrote:I would say Letcher county fans could say the same thing about Russell Co. holding them a few times. Being offsides by a couple of inches on a few kickoffs. I saw a Russell County player pancake a letcher county player 40 yards away from the ball one time. I have seen some crews that would have called every little thing and there would have been 50 penalties. And we would still be there this morning watching the 4th quarter. I don't think it was a perfect game from the stripes but I think it was a well officiated game.

I think the Russell County Rock game will be a dandy.

I don't disagree that there were probably just as many calls missed against the Lakers. I'm a pretty unbiased person in most respects, but not during the actual game play. I also agree that they can't call everything, but plays like where they late hit our QB when the score is already 33-7 should be made.....no exceptions. That is often what leads to a game getting out of hand. Fortunately, both teams seemed to have been well coached in discipline.
Reguardless of the officiating, the players on the field acted like men! I saw no terribly cheap shots from either side. There were no unsportsman penalties and I didnt see ANY tempers flare. A cleanly played hard faught football game that was pleasurable to watch.
House, don't you come on hear making sense and speaking truths, it will ruin the forum Confusednicker:. Good game by both teams- players and coaches. Russell's coaches impressed me with the film work they had obviously put in on the defensive side. Good season so far but you got work to do! Tough district and that team from the north waiting in the playoffs. its ok laker20 is aready practicing his excuses. Hope he don't need them
CAN'T GET RIGHT Wrote:House, don't you come on hear making sense and speaking truths, it will ruin the forum Confusednicker:. Good game by both teams- players and coaches. Russell's coaches impressed me with the film work they had obviously put in on the defensive side. Good season so far but you got work to do! Tough district and that team from the north waiting in the playoffs. its ok laker20 is aready practicing his excuses. Hope he don't need them

I could write a book.........LOL. No I won't make any excuses if we loose. We're a young team with a lot to learn, and this is new ground for the Lakers. I think that the way were playing that if we come up short it will be because we were outplayed.

You also won't see me saying that we're better than Rock, etc. I knew they were the real deal way before the PCC game. IMO it's the Lakers who are going to need to step it up to have a chance to come away with a win next week.

As house state, the players from both sides played with sportsmanship, I didn't think anything cheap was going on. I think we were a bit surprised with LCC's size, and they were a bit surprise with how hard our guys hit. If not for a few big plays, this could have been a fairly close game...but that is Laker football.

LCC's QB took a hard shot on the first play from scrimmage and sat out a play. Hope he is okay.....seemed to be fine after a couple more snaps and he played really well.
Considering it was his first game starting. He had 1st game nerves, but he will be gone.
Congrats Lakers.... I ate at Coe's yesterday afternoon so I found myself pulling a little harder for the Lakers than normal last night....amazing what good catfish will do to you :lol: Good Luck the rest of the way!!!
Jumper, was it packed? I went once and I had to wait to sit down and they were constantly cleaning off the tables all around.

Even if I drive by, it is always packed.
Congrat Russell Co
Regarding the late hit in the fourth quarter it never should have happened because the score was 33-7 and throwing a deep pass no matter what the yardage and down. The hit if it occurred, was because of the coaches and unsportsmanlike play calling on their part.

As for the solid play of the quarterback, three INT's and three fumbles doesn't sound like a solid game to me. It was only his second game ever playing quarterback and will get much better as time goes on.

The game would have been completely different if Logan Johnson would have played on both sides of the ball. Russell County's most impressive player was their kicker IMO while I expected a much better offense than was shown.
Nice to know that late hits are justified if the opposing players are frustrated.....c'mon man , listen to what you are saying. Mentality like this is what gets kids hurt!!
AppleSauce Wrote:Regarding the late hit in the fourth quarter it never should have happened because the score was 33-7 and throwing a deep pass no matter what the yardage and down. The hit if it occurred, was because of the coaches and unsportsmanlike play calling on their part.

As for the solid play of the quarterback, three INT's and three fumbles doesn't sound like a solid game to me. It was only his second game ever playing quarterback and will get much better as time goes on.

The game would have been completely different if Logan Johnson would have played on both sides of the ball. Russell County's most impressive player was their kicker IMO while I expected a much better offense than was shown.

It was second and 15 from our own 5 yard line. Our QB was throwing from the end zone on a short pass route. It wasn't like we were trying to run up the score. Heck we only had like 200 yards of total offense. Perhaps you were just wishing we'd run the clock out to easy your pain.

As to your QB and his performance, it's a real shame that someone from an opposing team (me) can give him more credit than some one from his own (you). The three interceptions were because our DB's beat out your receivers. For that boy to have to come into his first game under the situation he was faced with, I think he did well, and hope he continues to improve.

If it makes you feel better thinking that it would have been a different outcome if Logan Johnson had played, then your entitled to that opinion.
I see that laker20 has had nothing to do today but watch tape and criticize. That must be a nice life. I think that since laker20 knows so much about officiating that he must either have his license or really needs to get them and impart his wisdom to officials everywhere. I was really surprised by the lack of physical play from both sides. I heard many people say that you could not hear pads hitting all night long. I think RC played better against Pulaski and was looking a little forward to the Rock! Next weeks game will be a great game to watch but Russell will have to play much better than they did against LCC to win. I hope Laker20 is happy with the game next week or there is no telling what we will hear on here.
Russell County's offense played better against Pulaski county , I will agree, however I would think their defense played a superior game against LCC.
zebra'seyes Wrote:I see that laker20 has had nothing to do today but watch tape and criticize. That must be a nice life. I think that since laker20 knows so much about officiating that he must either have his license or really needs to get them and impart his wisdom to officials everywhere. I was really surprised by the lack of physical play from both sides. I heard many people say that you could not hear pads hitting all night long. I think RC played better against Pulaski and was looking a little forward to the Rock! Next weeks game will be a great game to watch but Russell will have to play much better than they did against LCC to win. I hope Laker20 is happy with the game next week or there is no telling what we will hear on here.

You are taking this awfully personal Zebra. I made a couple comments about the officiating not being up to the quality of play and this has become a bash Laker20 thread. I stated my opinion on the officiating and even went as far as saying that the officials have bad games occasionally as well, the officiating wasn't biased, and that it probably didn't have any impact on the game. I also said that the calls that were made weren't bad calls, there were just a few obvious ones that should have been. At the bare minimum these young men playing deserve to have the officials protect them from late hits. I don't have my license and wouldn't want the job, because I probably wouldn't make much of an official, but if I was, I'd sure want to know when I wasn't doing a good job.....I know they can't see everything and have a vastly different perspective than we do in the stands (sometimes better-sometimes worse).

Russell Co's offense has been better in every other game they've played (not just the Pulaski game).....not sure if it was us playing down or LCC stopping us. LCC's d-line seemed to dominate the line of scrimmage. Russell could have been looking forward to Rock, but I think it was more to do with what LCC was doing right that kept this game closer than it should have been.

As far as the hard hitting goes, there were several times that players from both teams were slow to get up....it wasn't the most physical game I've seen this year, but it was physical and there were several hard hits.

In regards to the game next week, no matter the outcome you will here nothing but truth from me. I'm pretty unbiased in what I say and I would think that anyone who's read my posts would agree. I cheer for a lot of teams and genuinely just like to see these young men be successful in the game they play. In fact if you read back through my posts in this thread you'll see that I compliment LCC's team and players several times...probably more than I have Russell Co's.

Let's not continue bashing each other, and keep this to the game and the young men playing it.:igiveup: