Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Freshmen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If freshmen play in a 7th & 8th grade game, does it hurt their high school eligibilty?
Colts Wrote:If freshmen play in a 7th & 8th grade game, does it hurt their high school eligibilty?

Why would they be playing in a 7th & 8th grade game if they were a FRESHMEN? I think this is the first question which needs to be asked.
Colts Wrote:If freshmen play in a 7th & 8th grade game, does it hurt their high school eligibilty?

Hmm, not sure what this means. I know that in EKY, there are middle school teams that play Freshman teams - is that what you mean?

What is you specific question about eligibility? Not sure I follow your question
I don't think it would do anything other than vacate the 7th and 8th grade teams wins lol
He's trying to ask if there was a middle school team (7th and 8th) and the school that they would attend after middle school would be PHS (for example). If the freshman at PHS would be able to come down and play with PHS's middle school team against other teams.
Why would you want to play your Freshman against middle school kids. This would not benefit the Freshman at all.
I agree this would not benefit your fresmans at all. I know a high school that lets their freshmen play with their middle school team. They have 7th and 8th players that set on the sideline, so it is not that they do not have enough players.
Not sure what your asking, but in high school you have 4 consecutive years of eligibility, whether you play any or all of those years in anything. Once the freshman year is gone, you are down to 3 years, even if you played no sports at all.
that will hurt the kids in the long run!

The answer is no

The only time a high school football player's eligibility is in question is if:
A. He failed a year in high school
B. Played varsity while in grade school
C. Transferred to another high school
D. Did not have 10 practices prior to playing in 1st game

High School football players have 4 years of eligibility once they start playing high school football
Actually as soon as a student is promoted from 8th grade they have 4 years of HS eligibility.
toussaints Wrote:High School football players have 4 years of eligibility once they start playing high school football

I don't think that is exactly right. You have 4-years of High School eligibility beginning your 9th grade year, and not playing doesn't mean you weren't "Eligible". That's why you don't have students being held back past the 8th grade.

Now I suppose an 8th grader who played high school football might loose one of those 4-years.....not sure.
footballfever Wrote:Actually as soon as a student is promoted from 8th grade they have 4 years of HS eligibility.

What I was trying to say....with less words.
laker20 Wrote:I don't think that is exactly right. You have 4-years of High School eligibility beginning your 9th grade year, and not playing doesn't mean you weren't "Eligible". That's why you don't have students being held back past the 8th grade.

Now I suppose an 8th grader who played high school football might loose one of those 4-years.....not sure.

Not High School eligibility. This is most prominent Wrestling where elementary school kids are wrestling at the Varsity level. As we all know, basketball players such as OJ Mayo and Lebron James were starting varsity at their high schools in the 7th grade. There are numerous examples. Now once you are in High School, that's a different question. You have four total years of eligibility, but can only regain one through some type of catastrophic event that kept the student athlete from being able to attend school for reasons other than disciplinary or personal preference.
Elemetary and Middle students are not allowed to compete in varsity football, soccer, wrestling
footballfever Wrote:Elemetary and Middle students are not allowed to compete in varsity football, soccer, wrestling

they must of changed the rules! i had family member start at nose guard his 8th grade year for the high school!
I was thinking that they had some new rules as far as underclassmen taking part in High School sports. It varies from sport to sport. I do know that track & field and Cross Country allow underclass students per certain guidelines, and I'm think the other non-contact sports do as well (golf, tennis, swimming, etc).
footballfever Wrote:Elemetary and Middle students are not allowed to compete in varsity football, soccer, wrestling
Correct. The original poster needs to read KHSAA bylaw 4, it explains this. Other sports allow 8th graders to play UP (not football, wrestling or soccer), but once you enter high school, four years of eligibility and you can't play down (i.e. Freshman playing on a junior high team).
ole_blue_sack_15 Wrote:they must of changed the rules! i had family member start at nose guard his 8th grade year for the high school!
But he was already 17 and had a full beard, right? Just kidding.
Why would you want to? Way to many liabilities issues with letting Freshman play down to a middle school team. This seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen
You can wrestle in High School as long as your a 7th or 8th grader.
nky Wrote:Why would you want to? Way to many liabilities issues with letting Freshman play down to a middle school team. This seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen

Agreed. That is ridiculous to even consider - whether parent or coach - NO WAY!
Agreed.
ole_blue_sack_15 Wrote:they must of changed the rules! i had family member start at nose guard his 8th grade year for the high school!

I know we played JV but not varsity.
New rule for football is that 8th graders can play up in JV football as long as they do not play against a junior. So if you are playing a young JV team that has freshman and sophomores, you can play 8th graders in that game!
As far as the freshman playing in the 8th grade games, would not doubt it.
Ram-Fan Wrote:New rule for football is that 8th graders can play up in JV football as long as they do not play against a junior. So if you are playing a young JV team that has freshman and sophomores, you can play 8th graders in that game!
As far as the freshman playing in the 8th grade games, would not doubt it.

Where is that quoted in KHSAA
Stardust Wrote:Where is that quoted in KHSAA
It is NOT quoted in KHSAA. I just posted a copy of KHSAA bylaw 4 concerning eligibility on another thread the other day, here is the link again:

http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw4.pdf

I went thru most all of the rules covering these types of issues, and can not find a single instance or case example where this is mentioned or addressed (Ram Fan's statement about playing JV).
[SIZE=2]
From Khssa:

"Case BL-4-10- What restrictions are in place in football
and soccer for students below grade nine (9)?
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
Students in grades seven (7) or eight (8) within a feeder school
or within the local system may not participate in any activity
(practice, scrimmage or game) designated by either team as
“varsity ([/SIZE][SIZE=2]fi [/SIZE][SIZE=2]rst team)” in football or soccer. These 7th and 8th
grade students may not wear the game uniform (in whole or
part), or be involved in pre-game activities or any other contest
related activity prior to, during or after a varsity scrimmage or
contest in the sports of football or soccer. Only those students
enrolled in the member school and in the 9
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]th [/SIZE][SIZE=2]grade or above
may be involved in those activities or wear the uniform or other
school clothing in the proximity of the team area. Students in
grades seven (7) or eight (8) may not participate (practice,
scrimmage or play) on non-varsity (freshman, junior varsity,
etc.) level teams in football or soccer if any member of the
team they are representing or the team they are competing
against is enrolled in any grade above grade ten (10). It is
the obligation of the school desiring to allow the seventh or
eighth grade student to participate with the non-varsity team
to ensure compliance with this provision. Students below
grade seven (7) may not participate (practice, scrimmage or
play) on any high school level team (freshman, JV, varsity) in
football or soccer. The original provisions of this legislation by
the Kentucky General Assembly were in place to protect these
students from unnecessary exposure to potential injury due to
maturation differences, in both practices and games."

So an 8th grader can play in a JV game if everyone(both teams) are in 10th grade or lower.
Why would a coach risk playing an 8th grader in a JV game?
[/SIZE]
Ooops, I overlooked that section. Thank you for pointing it out. Guess those bifocals really ARE needed. lol
Simple rule of thumb: never play down and only play-up 8th graders in designated
Freshman games.