Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Fall high school baseball/Who is doing it and what are your thoughts on it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just thoughts and comments.
I think the kids need a break or there going to get burned out and end up quitting the team by the time there a senior I mean spring and summer leagues and winter weight lifting fall really is the only time they get a break
I wish they would spread it out and allow practices for HS to begin on Feb. 15 like in years past. Like Oldskool said, a regular high school season and summer travel teams is enough. The only kids I could see wanting to do this are the players that have a shot to make it big. Since the majority of schools don't have 9 of these prospects, it should be limited.
I like that it is available. It should not be mandatory. However, you learn a lot about a player's dedication by participation. I played fall ball because I loved the game and wanted to play it as much as I could. There was no burn out factor for me.
Going year around in today's era is the only way to consistently stay competitive
I completely understand the "burn out" aspect and can see many kids hitting that wall. It's up to coaches and parents to keep things fresh and make the workouts fun. Too many coaches, run through the same programs year after year in the fall and it tends to get old. The game has so many aspects to it, just hitting alone can challenge a young high school player for a winter. Unfortunately the the days of playing three sports in high school has come to and end for some if not most kids.
Laser_Guy Wrote:I completely understand the "burn out" aspect and can see many kids hitting that wall. It's up to coaches and parents to keep things fresh and make the workouts fun. Too many coaches, run through the same programs year after year in the fall and it tends to get old. The game has so many aspects to it, just hitting alone can challenge a young high school player for a winter. Unfortunately the the days of playing three sports in high school has come to and end for some if not most kids.

It's dangerous to change something if it works?
Not much different than football and basketball. They both go year round, pretty much. After football season, there's weight lifting, spring football, 7-7s. Basketball goes right into AAU and open gyms. I'd guess spring baseball loses some of kids to the pressures of showing up for football and basketball "activities" during baseball season.
What seems to keep it fresh is playing other sports during the fall my son started playing soccer his junior year and has more endurance and speed and now is ready for baseball and it only helped his game in the long run but everyone is different
:Thumbs:
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:It's dangerous to change something if it works?
Agree 100% JRS. It sometimes brecomes a matter of drive,priority,and most of all "love of the game". Could take you to a place after a short drive where 12-15 kids are working out most every day and during a time when Football is at it's peak and Basketball is in the wings. These kids give no sign of burn out. In fact they appear game hungry. It has been said by more than one that"if you have to put air into it,it ain't a sport.":biggrin:
mandan Wrote:Not much different than football and basketball. They both go year round, pretty much. After football season, there's weight lifting, spring football, 7-7s. Basketball goes right into AAU and open gyms. I'd guess spring baseball loses some of kids to the pressures of showing up for football and basketball "activities" during baseball season.

Worst thing that happened to high school baseball is spring football practice. It's absolutely pointless. I played football, baseball, basketball and golf my whole life and lettered in all of them throughout high school, and I was able to do that because only one of them overlapped, and that was golf and football. The golf coach would let me show up on saturday's and compete in the golf matches after playing in a football game friday night. However, if we would have had spring football I would have had to watch another guy play my position while im on the baseball field, and I didn't like that? So I can kind of see why kids are starting to lean towards one or the other. However, I will say this; football is the one sport that every baseball player should play. Everything you lack ahtletically in baseball, you gain in football. Instinct, aggressiveness, execution, working as a team, footwork, etc. All of that will in turn help you in the game of baseball, and when you really think about it, that's what your trying to do in the fall conditioning of baseball anyhow? So why not play?
OldSkool46 Wrote:What seems to keep it fresh is playing other sports during the fall my son started playing soccer his junior year and has more endurance and speed and now is ready for baseball and it only helped his game in the long run but everyone is different

I'm with ya on this one! :Thumbs: