Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Highlands v. Mason County 9/16
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If Highlands plays the way they've been playing over the last two games they'll be fine. Mason County will play to the very end regardless. This is at Mason County.
^ hunh? Have you seen what the Royals have done thus far? The birds will be OK?????

I'll take the Highland's Frosh to beat the Royals Varsity by 21, but since the Varsity has to make the track to Maysville, this will be a running clock in the first half!
Stardust Wrote:^ hunh? Have you seen what the Royals have done thus far? The birds will be OK?????

I'll take the Highland's Frosh to beat the Royals Varsity by 21, but since the Varsity has to make the track to Maysville, this will be a running clock in the first half!

Just lukewarmly opening the thread Stardust.:igiveup:
Did Highlands have to play this team?
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Did Highlands have to play this team?

Not sure, I dont think so, I know Harrison and Pendleton are required. Probably needed to fill the open date...
NCC41 Wrote:Just lukewarmly opening the thread Stardust.:igiveup:

Lol, my bad
Highlands wins 70-7.
Good Lord I didn't realize this one was on the schedule for the Birds. This could be pretty gruesome but Highlands always seems to put the brakes on early in games like this. Still, it'll be bad.

Highlands 56
Mason Co. 10
Highlands by as many as they want.
Mason County has nothing to lose, it is a trap game for Highlands. Mason doesnt have josh harris anymore but they will still play hard and try to make an upset like they did with rowan
Highlands huge
Gonna get ugly and fast! Highlands names the score in this one.
Highlands 56-0.
TRUESTATECHAMP Wrote:Mason County has nothing to lose, it is a trap game for Highlands. Mason doesnt have josh harris anymore but they will still play hard and try to make an upset like they did with rowan

I like what you are thinking, but I truly do not believe that a Dale Mueller coached team can be lured into a trap game. Even in a trap game, talent supersedes everything else. The Birds can win this easliy without clicking on very many cylinders.
Highlands by 5 touchdowns....before halftime.
There was a guy from Mason County sitting in front of us at the Western game on Friday. I was dying to ask him what he thought of the impending matchup with Highlands. He didn't look like he liked what he was seeing, but he may have just had a good poker face. This game should be similar to the last two. Highlands up early with the JV finding ample playing time after the half. The game might have been interesting before Harris went down, but from what I've read, he was much the same to the Royals as Elliott was to Ryle.
Highlands may score 70 by halftime with the 3rd string in there. I believe the running clock is only in the 2nd half regardless of score. My only question about this game is WHY?????
Wideleft01 Wrote:Highlands may score 70 by halftime with the 3rd string in there. I believe the running clock is only in the 2nd half regardless of score. My only question about this game is WHY?????

Why not? Highlands is one of the top programs in the state, who wouldnt want to get a chance to play them? Its just going to help Mason when district rolls around.
TRUESTATECHAMP Wrote:Why not? Highlands is one of the top programs in the state, who wouldnt want to get a chance to play them? Its just going to help Mason when district rolls around.

Do you think that the Royals can compete? I'm not asking this disrespectfully, but asking for your honest opinion. If they can compete and not get 100% dominated, then I agree with you. But if they can't even put up an effort and all they wind up seeing is the Birds 3rd and 4th string teams, then this is not the kind of game that helps you. I coach a different sport and I know that it's a fact that when you play against competition that does not allow you to DO ANYTHING, then you don't learn anything from it. It's not like the Royals are coming in gloating with confidence and they need to get the arrogance knocked out of them, this is a team that is already reeling. This could do more damage than good IMO. If the Royals can compete and show positive signs, then I can agree with your thought, but I'm just not sure that Mason County has anything that they can learn from this.

This is likely a game that the coach throws the game film away, comes out Saturday and does not even discuss this game and only talks about the next game.
Wideleft01 Wrote:Highlands may score 70 by halftime with the 3rd string in there. I believe the running clock is only in the 2nd half regardless of score. My only question about this game is WHY?????

Same reason Ryle stepped up twice last year. Highlands is the current standard bearer in football among the 3A/4A size schools. Ryle competed last year with Elliott/Hempel. Maybe Mason County felt that they had a similar combination this year.
TRUESTATECHAMP Wrote:Mason County has nothing to lose, it is a trap game for Highlands. Mason doesnt have josh harris anymore but they will still play hard and try to make an upset like they did with rowan

Highlands and Rowan arent even in the same time zone when it comes to football programs. if Mason hangs around a three touchdown defeat it would be remarkable. anything can happen in HS football but this will be a slaughter. Highlands looked ultraviolently good against whats-there-face 4A last week.

IF the birds beat Elder and keep on throw'n up points like this.... best hhs team ever? Probably.
birdman44 Wrote:Highlands and Rowan arent even in the same time zone when it comes to football programs. if Mason hangs around a three touchdown defeat it would be remarkable. anything can happen in HS football but this will be a slaughter. Highlands looked ultraviolently good against whats-there-face 4A last week.

IF the birds beat Elder and keep on throw'n up points like this.... best hhs team ever? Probably.
Your jokeing right? about the best team ever.
I wouldn't be surprised if the margin of victory is less than the Western game. It probably could be about the same but won't. Highlands wanted to prove a point to Western in case they meet in the finals. That reason is not present in the Mason County matchup. Plus Mueller has a pretty good friendship with Mason Co's coach I believe. I have no inside knowledge, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Dale come out and work on the running game and short passes; consume more time scoring; and thus reduce the total points scored, resulting in a smaller margin of victory than the Western game.
Highlands big.
charlie22 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the margin of victory is less than the Western game. It probably could be about the same but won't. Highlands wanted to prove a point to Western in case they meet in the finals. That reason is not present in the Mason County matchup. Plus Mueller has a pretty good friendship with Mason Co's coach I believe. I have no inside knowledge, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Dale come out and work on the running game and short passes; consume more time scoring; and thus reduce the total points scored, resulting in a smaller margin of victory than the Western game.

I can agree with this. It certainly makes sense that Mueller would use this type of game to get players experience (i.e. 2nd and 3rd teamers playing along side 1st team). Too often an entire 2nd team will go in at once and that does not really replicate your own teams speed and timing. I could see a lot of shuffling, keeping 1st team guys in as long as the score allows.
charlie22 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the margin of victory is less than the Western game. It probably could be about the same but won't. Highlands wanted to prove a point to Western in case they meet in the finals. That reason is not present in the Mason County matchup. Plus Mueller has a pretty good friendship with Mason Co's coach I believe. I have no inside knowledge, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Dale come out and work on the running game and short passes; consume more time scoring; and thus reduce the total points scored, resulting in a smaller margin of victory than the Western game.

When you start playing down to your competition's level, injuries follow. Highlands beat the tar out of Western last week but were very sloppy in the 1st half.. They can work on some things if you know what I mean....Playing down results in complacency IMO. I say treat every game like it was Elder and let the chips fall how they may....
The Birds played the (3A)Royals in 7-on-7 this summer, I'm certain the Royals know a little about their receivers. But was Towles there or did McCoy take the reins? I hope the Birds don't play around, working on things, that's what practice is for... even though they haven't been tested since Trinity.

This is no Rowan Cty walking into your house.
mrb5150 Wrote:Your jokeing right? about the best team ever.

well you can never really know. this hhs team is at least in the top 8 in team history though. If you go by stats alone i guess 98 and 00 are the top two. the 09 team beat St X =bonus points. if they beat elder at the pit and continue on this points rampage they will be up there with those said teams.
birdman44 Wrote:well you can never really know. this hhs team is at least in the top 8 in team history though. If you go by stats alone i guess 98 and 00 are the top two. the 09 team beat St X =bonus points. if they beat elder at the pit and continue on this points rampage they will be up there with those said teams.

Can you imagine some of the other Highlands team stats if they had a schedule like this? Not to take anything away from this team but the schedule is one of the weakest I have seen in a long time.
RepeatRings Wrote:The Birds played the (3A)Royals in 7-on-7 this summer, I'm certain the Royals know a little about their receivers. But was Towles there or did McCoy take the reins? I hope the Birds don't play around, working on things, that's what practice is for... even though they haven't been tested since Trinity.

This is no Rowan Cty walking into your house.

I didn't think Highlands did a 7 on 7 this year with Mason. I know they have in the past.
Pages: 1 2