Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: KHSAA - 6 Football classes - is this too many?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
What is the rationale for having 6 classes? Why not 3 or 4? I think 6 is too many for KY High School football. I don't recall 6 classes in my HS days. What say you?
Yes it is AT LEAST 2 too many. 4 is a good number.

This system is pathetic. You have 0-10 teams making the playoffs. If they are serious about being idiots and having 6 classes, eliminate one playoff game and have only the 1st and 2nd seed from each district enter the playoffs. Give at least a little bit of meaning to the regular season.
I say 5 is a great number.
4 Was obviously to small and i think 6 is to big.
I think if you go down to 5 classes, ALL privates schools and schools with over 1200 kids in them should be 5A.

1A- 1-300
2A- 301-600
3A- 601-900
4A- 901-1200
5A- 1201-Any
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I say 5 is a great number.
I think if you go down to 5 classes, ALL privates schools and schools with over 1200 kids in them should be 5A.

1A- 1-300
2A- 301-600
3A- 601-900
4A- 901-1200
5A- 1201-Any
How was 4 obviously too small?
Panther Thunder Wrote:Yes it is AT LEAST 2 too many. 4 is a good number.

This system is pathetic. You have 0-10 teams making the playoffs. If they are serious about being idiots and having 6 classes, eliminate one playoff game and have only the 1st and 2nd seed from each district enter the playoff. Give at least a little bit of meaning to the regular season.

Every year we have this discussion and every year I think most all of us agree with this scenario. Good post
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I say 5 is a great number.

1A- 1-300
2A- 301-600
3A- 601-900
4A- 901-1200
5A- 1201-Any
why should all privates go into 5A?
Nope, I think it's perfect.
MisterPerfect Wrote:Nope, I think it's perfect.
You would Mr. .........Perfect Confusednicker:
Panther Thunder Wrote:How was 4 obviously too small?

Because it put schools in situations where they had a zero chance of winning against bigger schools.
Take Whitley for exapmle. My senior year we switched to 4A. We were 9-1 going into the playoffs that year with our only loss being a 24-21 loss on the road to 4A Ryle in which we should have won. We beat a 2A runner up Prestonsburg team that year as well as a good Southwestern team and GRC team. But did we ever stand a chance against a Trinity team? No. You cant put a mountain team that just a year before that was in a district with Rock and Bell who are now 3A and 4A schools against a private school like Trinity and expect us to compete. Its just not fair IMO. North and South Laurel are the same way as they have similar enrollments as Whitley. All three of us might have a good year once in a while but we wont ever be able to compete on that level.
I think if youre going to make it 4A, you might as well set aside a 4A Div 2 where all Lville and Lex schools with MUCH larger enrollments get to compete with each other.
I do understand how its much more proactive and beneficial and simply makes more sense to have 4 classes as it really makes it competetive in a lot of the classes, however, your short changing schools that get stuck in 4A just because they have 1200 kids but stand no chance of competing against schools with enrollments of 2000.
Thats like putting Lynn Camp with a small enrollment of a 150 to 200 kids in a district with Whitley who has 1200 kids. Its the same differance numbers wise. A 1000 each way.
Im more in favor of having 1 state champion like in basketball and how it use to be than just screwing a few teams out of it.
Three or four classes are plenty for a state having Kentucky's population. Indiana has five classes and allows every team in the playoffs and the system works great, IMO.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Because it put schools in situations where they had a zero chance of winning against bigger schools.
Take Whitley for exapmle. My senior year we switched to 4A. We were 9-1 going into the playoffs that year with our only loss being a 24-21 loss on the road to 4A Ryle in which we should have won. We beat a 2A runner up Prestonsburg team that year as well as a good Southwestern team and GRC team. But did we ever stand a chance against a Trinity team? No. You cant put a mountain team that just a year before that was in a district with Rock and Bell who are now 3A and 4A schools against a private school like Trinity and expect us to compete. Its just not fair IMO. North and South Laurel are the same way as they have similar enrollments as Whitley. All three of us might have a good year once in a while but we wont ever be able to compete on that level.
I think if you're going to make it 4A, you might as well set aside a 4A Div 2 where all Lville and Lex schools with MUCH larger enrollments get to compete with each other.
Fair? Come on you had a chance to play Ryle and lost. You had an opportunity. Maybe it's about preparation, hard work, quality coaching that wins games. You're selling the "mountain" teams short.
Maybe the state could have a Northern Kentucky class, A lousiville class, a Lexington class, and then a Mountain Class. There you go 4 classes. Would that be fair?
nky Wrote:Fair? Come on you had a chance to play Ryle and lost. You had an opportunity. Maybe it's about preparation, hard work, quality coaching that wins games. You're selling the "mountain" teams short.

We played Ryle in the regular season that year, not the playoffs. We met Scott County in the playoffs and lost by 10. I believe we were evenly match and had it not been for our QB getting hurt in the game we probably would have won, and even then our district got swept by the Lex district and still Scott Co got beat by Tates Creek in the next round who got beat by Trinity 50-0 in the next round so theres no comparison when it comes to that. We had no shot.
nky Wrote:Maybe the state could have a Northern Kentucky class, A lousiville class, a Lexington class, and then a Mountain Class. There you go 4 classes. Would that be fair?

Im not trying to argue or piss you off.
Im seriously just trying to bring out the flaws in a 4A system.
If were going to do a 4A system i think you have to seperate schools in Lex and LVille and private schools as well. They do it in other states.
Im not whining about what is "fair" and should of had a better choice of words when it came to saying that, but you have to admit theres a big difference in Lville football and mountain football.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Im not trying to argue or piss you off.
Im seriously just trying to bring out the flaws in a 4A system.
If were going to do a 4A system i think you have to seperate schools in Lex and LVille and private schools as well. They do it in other states.
Im not whining about what is "fair" and should of had a better choice of words when it came to saying that, but you have to admit theres a big difference in Lville football and mountain football.
Kids are kids
So you want 8 classes? 4 private, and 4 public? Or do you want Bishop Brossart with less than 200 boys playing Trinty and St. X with over 2000 boys? Being Fair and stuff like that
Your selling the mountain kids short if you don't think they can't compete on the state level. Maybe some teams need to up grade their schedule? Start playing better competition. Look at what Covington Holy Cross has been doing. Playing much higher competition than their classification. Why? to get ready for NCC and 2A playoffs
nky Wrote:Your selling the mountain kids short if you don't think they can't compete on the state level. Maybe some teams need to up grade their schedule? Start playing better competition. Look at what Covington Holy Cross has been doing. Playing much higher competition than their classification. Why? to get ready for NCC and 2A playoffs

I believe some are.
Heck look at Whitley schedule, Harlan Co, Bell, Rock, Someset, Boyle and Perry.
Its not that there not trying, but having 1 really good year comes around only once in a while, and thats only if everything falls into place right. They cant compete on a consistence basis that Lville schools can who have naturally talented and gifted athletes year after year.
Your whole ideas on privates are ideas of just that, someone from a provate school background. Bishop Brossart could come here and say to our best player, come play for us, wed really like to see you on our football field, when if we went to bishop brossart and said that than wed be penalized.
Im not selling mountain schools short, just stating the obvious.
how about split it private and public with 3 classes in each
1A 1-550
2A 551-1100
3A 1101& up
just to get a little off topic, does anyone really think any team in 4A has a real shot at competing with highlands year in year out. the last time a current team beat highlands was 2006 and that was cov cath.

they should refuse to play play in any class other than 6A, so that when they win the state champship it means something

other wise give them the trophy and we will all go home, just wondering why did everyone other than boyle forfeit to them in 2004 playoffs.

:igiveup:
Any school in state that has open enrollment will let a kid in. Private schools follow the same rules as everyone else. Within a 15 minute drive from Bishop Brossart is NewCath and Highlands one a private school one a public, not to mention Campbell Co, Newport, Bellevue, Dayton.
Each of these schools permit any student to enroll. When you live in a larger population area you have more students to choose from and the students have more choices of where to attend
#1vikingfan Wrote:just to get a little off topic, does anyone really think any team in 4A has a real shot at competing with highlands year in year out. the last time a current team beat highlands was 2006 and that was cov cath.

they should refuse to play play in any class other than 6A, so that when they win the state champship it means something

other wise give them the trophy and we will all go home, just wondering why did everyone other than boyle forfeit to them in 2004 playoffs.

So you should penalize a team for working hard? Not a great way to treat a public school now is it?
CanYouLiveWithoutIt Wrote:how about split it private and public with 3 classes in each
1A 1-550
2A 551-1100
3A 1101& up
5 classes evenly divided across the state. Let's be fair and equitable
I think 5 classes would be a good way to split it as well, but a few states divide it up public/private and it puts the discussions over private having an unfair advatage to an end
CanYouLiveWithoutIt Wrote:I think 5 classes would be a good way to split it as well, but a few states divide it up public/private and it puts the discussions over private having an unfair advantage to an end
just adds more to it. You want your state championship game to decide who's the best team in that class not having the argument out there who is the better team. There really isn't an unfair advantage unless you think paying over $6000 in tution plus other cost to be an advantage
If memory serves me right their were some mountain teams that won state championships in the 1980's and making many finals in the 1990's. I remember Beechwood playing some of them.
6 is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many for the small amount of schools Kentucky has that play football. Winning a state championship in football has been watered down to the point that it has little more significance than than winning a regional championship in basketball. It has a little more significance but not much more. A couple years ago there were only 30 teams in class AA.

The reason the KHSAA went to 6 classes was to pacify those schools that had organized a very strong movement to have separate classes for public and private schools. The thinking among the schools that wanted to separate the public and private schools was that the schools play by two different sets of rules. An example is Henry Clay can only take students from the Henry Clay designated area. Lexington Catholic can pick up players from several counties away.

For whatever reason it was done, six classes is a sham for a state that only has about 200 schools that play football.
No matter how you cut it someone is always goin to be complaining about it, either would work. I just like the public/private split because you can't hear people complaining about the unfairness in determinig who is state champion, the schools can still play one another within the regular season and see who the better team is tho
rojas Wrote:6 is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many for the small amount of schools Kentucky has that play football. Winning a state championship in football has been watered down to the point that it has little more significance than than winning a regional championship in basketball. It has a little more significance but not much more. A couple years ago there were only 30 teams in class AA.

The reason the KHSAA went to 6 classes was to pacify those schools that had organized a very strong movement to have separate classes for public and private schools. The thinking among the schools that wanted to separate the public and private schools was that the schools play by two different sets of rules. An example is Henry Clay can only take students from the Henry Clay designated area. Lexington Catholic can pick up players from several counties away.

For whatever reason it was done, six classes is a sham for a state that only has about 200 schools that play football.
Fayette County schools should go to open enrollment then. Perfectly legal for then to do that. That's a local issue not a state
#1vikingfan Wrote:just to get a little off topic, does anyone really think any team in 4A has a real shot at competing with highlands year in year out. the last time a current team beat highlands was 2006 and that was cov cath.

Actually, I think that Highlands, even with its population disadvantage, would probably welcome the opportunity to play in 6A. It loves the competition and has always played up when allowed. But the KSHAA won't let them now. Heck, it is barely a 4A school and might end up being moved back to 3A at some point. And it is a public school, not a private, which some people tend to forget. But maybe the KHSAA can force all of the Ft. Thomas kids that go to Newport Central Catholic and Campbell County (to a lesser extent) to play for Highlands. That might help them out a little when they have to play the privates like St. X and Trinity that enjoy a quadruple boy's advantage in enrollment along with a "no boundaries" area from which to draw.

But anyway, to get back on point before the topic was hijacked a little, yes, six classes is too many for a state the size of Kentucky. And any system that has 0-10 teams making the playoffs is a joke. This topic appears every year and virtually every fan is in agreement. Four would be fine; five would even be okay; but six is too many. And eliminate teams that don't qualify for the playoffs.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5