Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Paintsville Football
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Things at Paintsville haven't been this bad since the great depression. Favortism and political bullcrap have been going on in hiring coaches and teachers and changes need to be made from top to bottom. Anyone with common sense can connect the dots and see how much favoritism is being displayed for a certain group and its way to obvious. A good example is when adam collins and justin arms were fresh out of college and looking for jobs. Both were alumni and super nice kids and would have been great assets to the school system for academics and sports. Both were turned down and have moved on to be successful at pikeville and at johnson central. Adam collins is a assistant baseball coach and arms is a top defensive assistant for matneys golden eagles.Their were jobs open and neither boys were hired. Sad part about this is if they would have had the right last name they would have got hired. This crap goes on everywhere but as far as Paintsville sports goes this is an example of why things have went down hill. The school system forced out a good man ( jim tom) and just handed the program over to a man with basically no coaching experience and look how bad this has turned out. Its a total disaster and people can say whatever they want and make every excuse they want but im just telling it how it is. Only good hire I've seen in the past four years was hiring john doug to coach the baseball team. I told people on here how bad it was going to get and y'all acted like I was a complete idiot. People don't realize how many kids left the school over this crap and that's a good reason why talent is leaving the school system. One excuse of many thays been on here is talent and this is a reason why talented kids have left. Until changes are made im not giving another dime of my money to the school and I would say others will do the same.
Superman20 Wrote:Things at Paintsville haven't been this bad since the great depression. Favortism and political bullcrap have been going on in hiring coaches and teachers and changes need to be made from top to bottom. Anyone with common sense can connect the dots and see how much favoritism is being displayed for a certain group and its way to obvious. A good example is when adam collins and justin arms were fresh out of college and looking for jobs. Both were alumni and super nice kids and would have been great assets to the school system for academics and sports. Both were turned down and have moved on to be successful at pikeville and at johnson central. Adam collins is a assistant baseball coach and arms is a top defensive assistant for matneys golden eagles.Their were jobs open and neither boys were hired. Sad part about this is if they would have had the right last name they would have got hired. This crap goes on everywhere but as far as Paintsville sports goes this is an example of why things have went down hill. The school system forced out a good man ( jim tom) and just handed the program over to a man with basically no coaching experience and look how bad this has turned out. Its a total disaster and people can say whatever they want and make every excuse they want but im just telling it how it is. Only good hire I've seen in the past four years was hiring john doug to coach the baseball team. I told people on here how bad it was going to get and y'all acted like I was a complete idiot. People don't realize how many kids left the school over this crap and that's a good reason why talent is leaving the school system. One excuse of many thays been on here is talent and this is a reason why talented kids have left. Until changes are made im not giving another dime of my money to the school and I would say others will do the same.

Paintsville has much BIGGER problems than not hiring the Arms boys into their program. I agree Paintsville is on the decline and is becoming so political that it is truly hurting the whole program. Kinner wasn't a bad hire because of his football background but his supporting cast doesn't really do much for the Tigers. You have the QB's daddy as the play caller which is a problem and shouldn't be allowed. Kinner can't play Fannin at QB because of this and it's a shame because he is a good athlete. I wish Kinner would hire a staff that isn't biased and will play the best boy. I would love nothing more than for Paintsville to get back to the Brugh days like when I played but unless changes are made it won't happen. I hate to say it but my wife and I have talked about sending my boy to JCMS next year.
That was just an example, cause I know I didn't even scratch the surface of the problems. Jason run off his good help in his first two seasons. He had a good playing background but having a good coaching background is two different things. Just cause you could play it doesn't mean you can coach it.anyone that disagreeed with jasons style has been run off so that's why the staff is weak. He'll run pete diabo off before the seasons over. If he don't run him off ill be surprised
IBleedTrueBlue Wrote:Paintsville has much BIGGER problems than not hiring the Arms boys into their program.

Whoa now, we're almost 27 far from being boys. I have a great job as an engineer and have no desire to be a part of the football program at Paintsville. Have you ever thought that maybe Justin doesn't want to be a part of their program? He is learning from one of the best at Johnson Central and told me himself that he would like to take an admin job within the next 5-6 years, as he is only a couple of months away from completing his Rank One. One thing we were taught growing up was loyalty. Johnson Central offered him a job after Paintsville wouldn't even give him an interview for one of their open Math positions. JCHS are the one's that have been providing for him and his family the past 4 years, not Paintsville. I personally am happy for the opprotunity that Mr. Trimble, Whitaker, Coach Matney and Coach Hall have provided for him and I know he couldn't be happeir being at JCHS and has NO DESIRE in leaving.

And you are right, Paintsville does have much BIGGER problems than the above. Maybe if they were loyal from the get-go, they wouldn't have seen the decline in talent and lack of interest in their football program. Four different coaches in 5 seasons will cause havoc on any team. They have Jason now so maybe they will hang with him longer than the rushed tenure of JTA.
Has Paintsville always sucked this bad? Not being a dick, I'm really just wondering, because it seems like back in 04'-05', I remember them being decent, and I think right around that time is when the suck started.
vundy33 Wrote:Has Paintsville always sucked this bad? Not being a dick, I'm really just wondering, because it seems like back in 04'-05', I remember them being decent, and I think right around that time is when the suck started.
No. If I am not mistaken, they have a couple of state runners up. Walter Brugh(sp?), long time Paintsville coach retired as the winningnest coach in Kentucky.
When we played Paintsville in the early 90's, they had some really good teams, each year they were our main district rival. They were always ranked in the top 10 in Class A.
What exactly is Justin learning from Matney? How to be one demensional on offense and play nothing but man to man defense which gets them beat in the playoffs every year by good passing teams. Justin got his knowledge by playing for the best defensive back coach in KY, Joe Chirico, and from our defensive coaches we had at Pikeville College, Kreager and Smalls. Paintsville promised Justin an interview for the head baseball job when it was open, and he never heard from them. Justin does know his shit though and will make a great head coach one day, if he decides not to be a principal instead.
A players father calling plays and his son being QB is a pot of trouble waiting to boil over. I am sure JD is trying to do things right but he has stacked the deck against himself and his son. Paintsville football had a winning system of football for 50 years or longer, JCHS had all the talent it needed to win for the past 30 years but no winning system! Coach Brugh could have went to JCHS picked out a team of leftover kids and put them in his system and beat Paintville and JCHS teams. Even at JCHS now Matney runs a system that wins but you still got arm chair OB's hollering "why don't he pass it more" I think the system that Kinner runs is great if you got Cam Newton or Tim Tebow. Ashland runs that Spread stuff and JCHS has beat them 7 or 8 times in a row. The biggest problem is the shotgun snap. It has to be perfect everytime. The important thing to having a good system is it has to suit your talent.
IBleedTrueBlue Wrote:Paintsville has much BIGGER problems than not hiring the Arms boys into their program. I agree Paintsville is on the decline and is becoming so political that it is truly hurting the whole program. Kinner wasn't a bad hire because of his football background but his supporting cast doesn't really do much for the Tigers. You have the QB's daddy as the play caller which is a problem and shouldn't be allowed. Kinner can't play Fannin at QB because of this and it's a shame because he is a good athlete. I wish Kinner would hire a staff that isn't biased and will play the best boy. I would love nothing more than for Paintsville to get back to the Brugh days like when I played but unless changes are made it won't happen. I hate to say it but my wife and I have talked about sending my boy to JCMS next year.

Fannin is by far the better QB and athlete, no doubt about that.
Redneck Wrote:What exactly is Justin learning from Matney? How to be one demensional on offense and play nothing but man to man defense which gets them beat in the playoffs every year by good passing teams. Justin got his knowledge by playing for the best defensive back coach in KY, Joe Chirico, and from our defensive coaches we had at Pikeville College, Kreager and Smalls. Paintsville promised Justin an interview for the head baseball job when it was open, and he never heard from them. Justin does know his shit though and will make a great head coach one day, if he decides not to be a principal instead.

Matney has been winning games for a long time so justin has to be learning a lot from the man. Wit the taken he's had he is running the best system for that program. He hasnt had a good throwing qb since he's been there and has had some excellent backs. Didn't know they promised him an interview then didn't give him one. That's dirty
Redneck Wrote:What exactly is Justin learning from Matney? How to be one demensional on offense and play nothing but man to man defense which gets them beat in the playoffs every year by good passing teams. Justin got his knowledge by playing for the best defensive back coach in KY, Joe Chirico, and from our defensive coaches we had at Pikeville College, Kreager and Smalls. Paintsville promised Justin an interview for the head baseball job when it was open, and he never heard from them. Justin does know his shit though and will make a great head coach one day, if he decides not to be a principal instead.
Obviously a whole lot more than he would be learning from Kinner. Not getting called for an interview for an assistant's job at Paintsville during the past couple of years was probably one of the biggest career breaks any young football coach could have received. The program has hit the skids and making the jump from an assistant coach at Paintsville to a head coach anywhere else would have been a long shot at best.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Obviously a whole lot more than he would be learning from Kinner. Not getting called for an interview for an assistant's job at Paintsville during the past couple of years was probably one of the biggest career breaks any young football coach could have received. The program has hit the skids and making the jump from an assistant coach at Paintsville to a head coach anywhere else would have been a long shot at best.

Obviously you dont read so well, I said he was promised an interview for the HEAD COACHING job for baseball, not an assistant job. As for Matney, yea he has had alot of success, but he chokes in the big game every year because he is one demensional on offense and because their pass defense is awful. I've been to more JC games since I graduated than I have PHS games because JC has been fun to watch, but its obvious every year why they lose in the Region Finals or State Semi's, and those are the reasons. JK Ratliff had a hell of an arm and they rarely used it. Sean Music had a good arm. JK Hall had a good arm. JC had a real good showing at the PC 7 on 7 tourney last summer, they were more than capable of throwing the ball efficiently throughout the season but they elected not to because they didnt need it. Come Highlands time when they needed it, it was obvious they didn't practice it much.
Redneck Wrote:Obviously you dont read so well, I said he was promised an interview for the HEAD COACHING job for baseball, not an assistant job. As for Matney, yea he has had alot of success, but he chokes in the big game every year because he is one demensional on offense and because their pass defense is awful. I've been to more JC games since I graduated than I have PHS games because JC has been fun to watch, but its obvious every year why they lose in the Region Finals or State Semi's, and those are the reasons. JK Ratliff had a hell of an arm and they rarely used it. Sean Music had a good arm. JK Hall had a good arm. JC had a real good showing at the PC 7 on 7 tourney last summer, they were more than capable of throwing the ball efficiently throughout the season but they elected not to because they didnt need it. Come Highlands time when they needed it, it was obvious they didn't practice it much.
At least Matney has led his team to a big game. When was the last time that Paintsville had a shot at winning their region? Since Matney arrived at Johnson Central, he has won five straight district titles and no team in Highlands' class has played them any tougher over that period. Call that choking if you want, but you sound foolish in doing so.
Redneck Wrote:Obviously you dont read so well, I said he was promised an interview for the HEAD COACHING job for baseball, not an assistant job. As for Matney, yea he has had alot of success, but he chokes in the big game every year because he is one demensional on offense and because their pass defense is awful. I've been to more JC games since I graduated than I have PHS games because JC has been fun to watch, but its obvious every year why they lose in the Region Finals or State Semi's, and those are the reasons. JK Ratliff had a hell of an arm and they rarely used it. Sean Music had a good arm. JK Hall had a good arm. JC had a real good showing at the PC 7 on 7 tourney last summer, they were more than capable of throwing the ball efficiently throughout the season but they elected not to because they didnt need it. Come Highlands time when they needed it, it was obvious they didn't practice it much.
Regional Finals or State Semi's are like walking on the moon for JCHS football. I can remember when beating CovCATH or playing Highland was like some kind of pipe dream. You got to crawl before you can walk. I remember when Tim Couch rolled in to JCHS throwing the ball all over the field. Leslie CO had already beat Highlands at the Fort in a shoot out, JCHS couldn't stop a good grade school team from running the ball that year. They had some Speed and some good DB's and they beat MR Couch because Leslie couldn't run the ball at all. In the playoffs Highlands beat Leslie CO by dropping 9 guys in coverage. Running the ball and stopping the run are the foundation to any solid football program. To say Mantey has choked is wrong because Highlands has always been the favorite in those games. You can't choke if your not the favorite. How many D1 players has Matney had? ZERO, on the other hand Highlands has had a truck load, there QB is comittied to UK, they got receiver that can pick his school, Collinsworth went Notre Dame to name a few. The Highlands fans all knock JCHS for not throwing but the fact is they have won because they are more talented and Matney's system shortens they game nutralizes there talent advantage. Keeps there speed off the field. When Matneys has D1 QB watch or tight end watch what happens.
Highlands is good at making pass defenses look bad lol. I noticed it was mentioned that arms is happy where he is. I bet he is glad to be apart of such a successful school system and no one could blame him for staying where he's at.

Uhhh, I would think that his own twin brother's comment that " he is learning from one of the best at Johnson Central" would answer that question...LOUD AND CLEAR.
Come on now. That's a pretty silly comment. Getting beat by a team that is ranked in the top 10 in the country much of the time means that every coach in the state of Kentucky is a big time choker then as well. They all use them high fallutin complicated multi dimensional pro style offense's too, dont they? Yet they dont even come close to being as competitive as Matney has been against that same team. haha!!!

They used it a lot when they could. JK's problem was that he was not mobile enough. Really slow feet. He was pretty much confined to just dropping back to throw or just handing off. He could not effectivly throw out of the pocket and if a receiver was not open, he was going down.

Sean Music??? I dont know where you are coming up with that one at all. He threw one up and was successful every now and then, but he was very intelligent and good at reading the defenses. He was by no means a passer.
honestjchsfan Wrote:Regional Finals or State Semi's are like walking on the moon for JCHS football. I can remember when beating CovCATH or playing Highland was like some kind of pipe dream. You got to crawl before you can walk. I remember when Tim Couch rolled in to JCHS throwing the ball all over the field. Leslie CO had already beat Highlands at the Fort in a shoot out, JCHS couldn't stop a good grade school team from running the ball that year. They had some Speed and some good DB's and they beat MR Couch because Leslie couldn't run the ball at all. In the playoffs Highlands beat Leslie CO by dropping 9 guys in coverage. Running the ball and stopping the run are the foundation to any solid football program. To say Mantey has choked is wrong because Highlands has always been the favorite in those games. You can't choke if your not the favorite. How many D1 players has Matney had? ZERO, on the other hand Highlands has had a truck load, there QB is comittied to UK, they got receiver that can pick his school, Collinsworth went Notre Dame to name a few. The Highlands fans all knock JCHS for not throwing but the fact is they have won because they are more talented and Matney's system shortens they game nutralizes there talent advantage. Keeps there speed off the field. When Matneys has D1 QB watch or tight end watch what happens.

When he had a kid that did have that talent, he set state records for PASSING at Sheldon Clark.
vundy33 Wrote:Has Paintsville always sucked this bad? Not being a dick, I'm really just wondering, because it seems like back in 04'-05', I remember them being decent, and I think right around that time is when the suck started.
Wow this post really hurts. It does show however that the good years at Memorial Field have been been lost. It is especially striking when this question has to be asked. The next question may be, "Who was Walter Brugh ?"
The sad thing for Paintsville is I dont see it getting any better anytime soon.

Let me pose this question. If you are a kid in Johnson County, and are in middle school and you play football, and wanna play football in high school where would you go?

JCHS and Paintsville are within three minutes of each other, one program is on the up swing, winning ball games, and being in the regional finals.... The other is having close games with Jenkins.

Other than the kids who are just totally loyal (and some will be) to Paintsville, the best talent will head to Central for the high school years. And really... can you blame them?
Bob Seger Wrote:Uhhh, I would think that his own twin brother's comment that " he is learning from one of the best at Johnson Central" would answer that question...LOUD AND CLEAR.

Only one would think Bob. I don't know how many times I have to say it, Justin is not going to Paintsville any time in the future. A job across the creek would be a lateral move and result in a cut in pay. I think some people forget that life isn't always about sports or what high school you went to. JCHS gave him the chance when Paintsville turned their nose at him and he is very thankful for that and I'm sure he will never forget it.

There is a lot more to Redneck's comment about a "potential" interview for the Head Baseball gig at Paintsville that Justin refused to tell him or any of his other friends on this site because he didn't want it posted all over the internet. Since I got on here and said the truth about him not having any desire to coach at Paintsville, all it has turned out to be was a peeing match between people about whether or not he is looking out for his own best interest. Geez, you think he would know that more than someone else.

Now for the second time on here, Justin loves JCHS. He believes that he is learning how to be a successful high school football coach from one of the best. He is also very thankful that Coach Hall has allowed him to assist his baseball program and be the Head Coach of their JV team. As far as career goals, the JCHS school system consists of 9 schools and will provide more Admin. opprotunities in the near future. He feels that he is at the BEST place for HIM, not anyone else.

This thread was about Paintsville. Give Kinner time and it will all play out. He has talent coming up and has been working the past 2 seasons with not a whole lot to choose from. However, if you want to talk replacements, which I really think is crazy at this point, please leave my twin bro's name out of it. Thanks.
Redneck Wrote:Fannin is by far the better QB and athlete, no doubt about that.
If this is true I guess the question is, will Kinner do what's best for the team?
I dont recall me, or anyone else for that matter saying that Justin was going to go to Paintsville and coach. I've said it myself many, many times, after the way Paintsville done him before, I wouldn't give em the time of day. I know he is happy where he's at and I'm happy for him, especially after he was turned down for a position that he was qualified for but they gave it to someone who wasn't because they had the right last name.
Bob Seger Wrote:Uhhh, I would think that his own twin brother's comment that " he is learning from one of the best at Johnson Central" would answer that question...LOUD AND CLEAR.

That's his opinion, I reckon he's entitled to it Bob, just like you and me or anybody else. That's what this site is for, people to give their input and opinions.
Bob Seger Wrote:When he had a kid that did have that talent, he set state records for PASSING at Sheldon Clark.

Lol, ONE passing record at Sheldon Clark, in 1991 Jesse Watts threw for 651 yards against Allen Central. Out of ALL the passing categories, that was the ONLY one that had a QB from Sheldon Clark mentioned. Sheldon Clark won that game 61-16, typical Matney fashion, pat them stats.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/10/11/sports...-math.html
Hoot Gibson Wrote:At least Matney has led his team to a big game. When was the last time that Paintsville had a shot at winning their region? Since Matney arrived at Johnson Central, he has won five straight district titles and no team in Highlands' class has played them any tougher over that period. Call that choking if you want, but you sound foolish in doing so.

Paintsville played in the Region Finals in 2005, won the Region in 2001. As for JC and their district titles, how many do you think they would have won had the KHSAA not went to this shitty 6 Class system, how many region finals do you think they would have played in.
Redneck Wrote:Paintsville played in the Region Finals in 2005, won the Region in 2001. As for JC and their district titles, how many do you think they would have won had the KHSAA not went to this shitty 6 Class system, how many region finals do you think they would have played in.
:lmaoBig Grinid Jim Matney steal your milk money or something? You seem to have a very hard time giving him the credit for his part in building one of the top football programs in the mountains. In Matney's very first year, he won more games than his two predecessors won in the previous three years and that was before the 6-class system and against 4A competition.

But, this thread is about Paintsville and some foolish decisions that the powers that be in that system have made in recent years. The Tigers used to have one of the finest staffs in 1A in the state. What has happened to cause the recent decline? (Besides Matney turning Johnson Central into a football player magnet with his outstanding coaching.)

The more you post on here the more you prove to all just how big of an idiot your are.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:At least Matney has led his team to a big game. When was the last time that Paintsville had a shot at winning their region? Since Matney arrived at Johnson Central, he has won five straight district titles and no team in Highlands' class has played them any tougher over that period. Call that choking if you want, but you sound foolish in doing so.

Foolish is putting it lightly. His own buddies on here thinks he's an idiot.
Redneck Wrote:Lol, ONE passing record at Sheldon Clark, in 1991 Jesse Watts threw for 651 yards against Allen Central. Out of ALL the passing categories, that was the ONLY one that had a QB from Sheldon Clark mentioned. Sheldon Clark won that game 61-16, typical Matney fashion, pat them stats.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/10/11/sports...-math.html

You are completely missing the point. I know for a fact that you are smarter than what you are acting like on here and you know exactly what I am getting at. What is going on with you today and why all this hatred?? I am trying to purvey the fact that Matney is willing to put the ball in the air and put it in the air a lot when he has the personel to do that. I would say it takes a pretty smart coach to be able to fashion his team with the talent that he has available and not try to do things with players that they are not capable of doing like taking a JK Ratliff or a Sean Music and trying to make Peyton Mannings out of them just so a bunch of simpletons can't get on a message board and criticize him for being one dimensional. He has had what seems to be an endless stable of premier running backs at his disposal, and that is what he has built his powerhouse program with. He wins ball games and a bunch of them doing it that way.
Pages: 1 2