Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Letcher Co Football Past and Present.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since there is a thread about all the old schools in Harlan Co. I wanted to start a thread about the Old Fleming Neon, Whitesburg, and Jenkins team back in the day that was at one time something special. Last time Jenkins hosted a playoff game was 94. Lost to Lynn Camp! Whitesburg, and Neon was great. Let's get this thread going.
Jenkins in those days was lead by Matt Wright at QB, Alfred "Alpo" Fields at C and Donnie Wright at RB. They was great and those boys from Mcroberts could have easily went to NEON. If that was the case they Neon would have been scary good that year. They had two others in Shawn Williams and Brian Damron who lead the Cavaliers to the playoffs the next year. That was some time my senior and Junior year. The coach at that time was Tim Mccoy who was one of the best guys I have ever meet. Don't know where he is now, but he was some coach.
Whitley County was once made up of Oak Grove, Pleasant View, Rockholds, Woodbine, Poplar Creek, and a couple more i cant think of off the top of my head. If memory serves me right, football wasnt played in Whitley County until all of them consolidated to form Whitley County High School in 1963 but all of those small schools had excellent basketball teams back in the day.

I also know Laurel County had many schools that made up there school sytem before Laurel County high school was formed and consolidated all of them. since then Laurel Co. high school has split into north and south laurel, but there were numerous teams that played basketball in laurel county before any consolidation ever occured.
I believe Hazel Green, which is still an elementary school in laurel county won the high school state championship back in the 30s or 40s, maybe one of these laurel county fans could help us out on that one.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Whitley County was once made up of Oak Grove, Pleasant View, Rockholds, Woodbine, Poplar Creek, and a couple more i cant think of off the top of my head. If memory serves me right, football wasnt played in Whitley County until all of them consolidated to form Whitley County High School in 1963 but all of those small schools had excellent basketball teams back in the day.

I also know Laurel County had many schools that made up there school sytem before Laurel County high school was formed and consolidated all of them. since then Laurel Co. high school has split into north and south laurel, but there were numerous teams that played basketball in laurel county before any consolidation ever occured.
I believe Hazel Green, which is still an elementary school in laurel county won the high school state championship back in the 30s or 40s, maybe one of these laurel county fans could help us out on that one.

You might want to start your own thread.
Orange<--Lets hear it. Whitesburg. Power 2A Two time Region Champ. You know the rest so let's hear it.
Fleming Neon back in 2000 was regional runner up to Paintsville. The Pirates beat them in the regular season, but got blown out at home in the regional championship game. Don't know any more info on Neon, and how far they have gone in the playoffs.
Whitesburg lost to Danville, and return everyone the next year but ran into a Breathitt Co team that was put in there district.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Fleming Neon back in 2000 was regional runner up to Paintsville. The Pirates beat them in the regular season, but got blown out at home in the regional championship game. Don't know any more info on Neon, and how far they have gone in the playoffs.

Pretty sure that was 2001, Neon had a good team during that stretch. Neon always had either Paintsville or Pikeville in their way come playoff time.
Whitesburg80 & 81 was very good teams. Randy Frazier, Mark Bates, Tony Sergent, and the list goes on. Very good undefeated Cumberland team lost 12-8 in the last game of the season at Whiteburg in 80. Next Year Bobby McQuilham for Cumberland took for opening kick back for 6 and we ended up loosing that game 22-7 I believe. Frazier and Sergent would knock your head off and at 6-4 245 Frazier ran like a deer. Bates had a SERIOUS set of wheels :rockon: