Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Super Conferences
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Everybody's thoughts on the proposed "super conferences" that is so popular in the college sports world? Personally, I hate it. And I mean, I hate it with a passion. This kind of reminds me of all of the high schools consolidating and killing off rivalries. I mean, no more Oklahoma-Texas? WTF! Its bad enough that Oklahoma-Nebraska quit playing every year, and now probably wont play at all. But seriously, bring back the Big 8, the Pac 8, the original Big 10, and sack the Pac 16 and the 16 team SEC. This is NOT good for college football. If they go with these super conferences, they will have no choice but to have a playoff system soon. There will be no way an SEC team will be able to go undefeated in a conference that will include (and Im just speculating) Florida State, Texas A&M, Clemson and Missouri ON TOP OF THE 12 TEAMS IN IT RIGHT NOW! The Big 10(?) and Pac 16 the same way. You will either water down the national championship by putting undefeated mid majors in front of 2 loss SEC Champions, and so on. I hate the thought of it. And this isnt just bad for football, but its bad for basketball too. I miss the days of the smaller conferences. Anybody remember the old Metro Conference in basketball? That was a great little conference that met its demise at the hands of "expansion". I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Enjoy and have at it!:disappoint:
I couldnt agree more
Well side Tide hoss
Whether we like it or not, it's going to happen. I blame Vince McMahon for starting this era of acquiring the competition and taking all of the best talent and putting it into one organization. We see Disney acquiring ESPN and ABC. Larger banks have acquired all the smaller banks to create "Super Banks". We used to see really strong independent teams in college sports, but it only made sense for them to parter with a conference as conferences began dominating the independent teams.

It was inevitable to happen in college sports where everything is so renationalized. It limits the cinderella stories for the little conferences. It was always great to brag about your conference when beating another conference. Now, the conferences will ultimately become 4-6 team divisions and the bragging rights will be fans of teams from their division against the other divisions.

But guys, what this is all leading to is a playoff system. So, as we progress to 6-8 conferences, you will now have the opportunity to create conference champions who now advance to a playoff and ultimately a SINGLE and legit national champion. Today, with having so many conferences, you have too many hands in the pot. The current system of having so many strong conferences will never allow for a playoff. So for me, I can give up the idea of having more region conferences as long as the Super Conferences are set up to create a National Champion through a playoff system.
It is a terrible idea but there is to much money to be made for anything else to happen.
Agreed, I hate the idea.
I like it, it will keep the SEC on top in football. There will be 8 teams in the east and 8 in the west. The only time the east and west play will be in the SEC title game.
I'm with y'all. I don't like it, but might as well get used to the idea, because college sports is undoubtedly headed in this direction.
^ Agreed. It takes away from the little guys, but if we are headed to a playoff system, then this is the only way that it makes sense to get there.
If it creates a playoff, I like it. I do think that today, the SEC is by far the best, BUT, if they can prove it against each other, they can prove it in a playoff.
If the day comes we get a playoff (which Im still torn on), it wont last long. When the SEC is sending 3 of 4 or all of the teams to the final four every year, it will get old quick with the bigwigs at the NCAA..