Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Nky 6A is a joke
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What you say?
(heavy sigh) Yeah, pretty much. It remains to be seen what the real Boone is like, but Ryle started out the season as a one man gang, and that one man is scheduled for surgery this week. I don't see anyone replacing Elliott with anything approaching effectiveness. SK, Campbell and Dixie have looked pretty hideous so far. SK and Campbell are just back to being the speed bumps we all remember. Dixie has played three really tough teams to start off, which I might think could help them down the road if they didn't look so completely wretched Thursday night.
When haven't they been? What have any of those team ever done?
nky Wrote:When haven't they been? What have any of those team ever done?

Dixie, Boone, Ryle and SK have all made decent playoff runs in past years. Not with very much consistency, but enough to not have to hang their heads in shame. Campbell County, OTOH........
I think Boone will continue to be solid this year the other teams is a different story.
Can you dig it? Wrote:(heavy sigh) Yeah, pretty much. It remains to be seen what the real Boone is like, but Ryle started out the season as a one man gang, and that one man is scheduled for surgery this week. I don't see anyone replacing Elliott with anything approaching effectiveness. SK, Campbell and Dixie have looked pretty hideous so far. SK and Campbell are just back to being the speed bumps we all remember. Dixie has played three really tough teams to start off, which I might think could help them down the road if they didn't look so completely wretched Thursday night.

Agreed, but it's hard to ever build on a program when you watch kids like Zach Harris on TV for the Birds after they went to CCMS. It happens every year where kids from Highland Heights through Alexandria spend their time in Campbell County's elementary and middle school, but choose to go to HHS, NCC, CCH. Hey, I get it, go where you can win and contend every year. But that's the cycle that you have to battle every year! Win and they will come, but you can't win if they don't start coming!
Stardust Wrote:Agreed, but it's hard to ever build on a program when you watch kids like Zach Harris on TV for the Birds after they went to CCMS. It happens every year where kids from Highland Heights through Alexandria spend their time in Campbell County's elementary and middle school, but choose to go to HHS, NCC, CCH. Hey, I get it, go where you can win and contend every year. But that's the cycle that you have to battle every year! Win and they will come, but you can't win if they don't start coming!

Yeah, that happens, but it's been 35 years since I started high school out there and got my first taste of high school football. In that time they've really done nothing but spin their wheels, despite having some really excellent athletes. Kids who started when I did found themselves outplaying the upperclassmen at practice, then sitting on the bench while those same upperclassmen started and led the team to a one win season. (That win being over 1A Dayton.) I know there are dues to be paid, but sometimes making tough choices pays off. From what I hear, this might be something that's happening this year, so there may be a turnaround in the future if the administration sticks with Lickert through the tough times. (i.e. 2011.)
As for losing kids to other schools, I'm not sure of the number, but the same thing happens to Highlands. Kids go through their junior league then wind up being big stars for NewCath. What it all boils down to is choices. If you have the chance to play for perennial contenders Highlands, NewCath or even up and coming Brossart, why would you choose a program that has only Scott to look to for a program that's experienced more futility since 1979?
NKY 6A is a joke, I know last week I tried defending it, but after seeing Campbell and Dixie look lifeless this past week, and add in Ryle losing Travis Elliot, it could be a short year for NKY 6A this year. The good news I guess is that 6A statewide is alittle down this year. only 11 of the 32 teams in 6A have a winning record so far.
Can you dig it? Wrote:Yeah, that happens, but it's been 35 years since I started high school out there and got my first taste of high school football. In that time they've really done nothing but spin their wheels, despite having some really excellent athletes. Kids who started when I did found themselves outplaying the upperclassmen at practice, then sitting on the bench while those same upperclassmen started and led the team to a one win season. (That win being over 1A Dayton.) I know there are dues to be paid, but sometimes making tough choices pays off. From what I hear, this might be something that's happening this year, so there may be a turnaround in the future if the administration sticks with Lickert through the tough times. (i.e. 2011.)
As for losing kids to other schools, I'm not sure of the number, but the same thing happens to Highlands. Kids go through their junior league then wind up being big stars for NewCath. What it all boils down to is choices. If you have the chance to play for perennial contenders Highlands, NewCath or even up and coming Brossart, why would you choose a program that has only Scott to look to for a program that's experienced more futility since 1979?

Awesome post! Lickert is safe! Schweitzer is safe in baseball! Russell is safe in Basketball! What you said about upperclassmen has just went bye-bye in the last two years.

With Baseball, Seniors had in years past made the team and started. Nobody that was sophomore or below played anything of significance, but only got called up for things like pinch-running. Schweitzer's first year, Seniors who were not going to play were cut, the best players played, and for the first time in probably 20 years, a Freshman started varsity!

In Basketball, Russell put his best line-up on the floor each game. That included sitting and limiting minutes for the previous years starters. He developed talent as the year progressed and enjoyment for the players that was missing for the past several years came back to the program.

With Lickert, experience be damned. They guys that he acquired fro this years that had varsity experience meant nothing. This is a team that plays virtually all Sophomores and Juniors. Though the Camels of last year was a senior laden team, those players who played in the previous system were just not as good as the talent below them. Practices for the Camels are a lot different than in the past few years - It's the upper-classmen who are the tackling dummies for the younger guys who are starters.

The school finally brought in an AD who knows sports and is not someone looking for retirement and is just a yes-man to the school. Hensley is a former Varsity football coach. Is not yet 50 and has another 15-20 years of work-life to go. The indians (parents) has finally challenged the reservation' (school) administration and board and pressed for equal consideration of sports. I don't believe any coach that is there is looking at CCHS as a stepping stone. All are in their early 30's. An incredible sports complex is under construction. If this does not work and the sports teams change direction over the next five years, then I'll be the first to say shut them down!
Stardust Wrote:Agreed, but it's hard to ever build on a program when you watch kids like Zach Harris on TV for the Birds after they went to CCMS. It happens every year where kids from Highland Heights through Alexandria spend their time in Campbell County's elementary and middle school, but choose to go to HHS, NCC, CCH. Hey, I get it, go where you can win and contend every year. But that's the cycle that you have to battle every year! Win and they will come, but you can't win if they don't start coming!

I would hope some of these kids are coming to these schools because of their excellent academics and not just to be on a winning sports team. I know the reason I moved my family back to Ft Thomas when my kids became of school age was because of academics (and good sports programs was just a nice added benefit, in fact, I did not even know my kids were going to participate in sports at the time of the move ).
sstack Wrote:I would hope some of these kids are coming to these schools because of their excellent academics and not just to be on a winning sports team. I know the reason I moved my family back to Ft Thomas when my kids became of school age was because of academics (and good sports programs was just a nice added benefit, in fact, I did not even know my kids were going to participate in sports at the time of the move ).

You moved your kids to Ft. Thomas probably at the wrong time. CCHS academics has over the past five years moved into the top 10 percentile in the state. The programs and honors numbers has drastically jumped. When my daughter was starting their 8 years ago, we considered sending her to Brossart of NCC because of the academics. Over the course of her four years, the school board, principals and many old teachers were up-rooted and sent away. Sports received ZERO attention. If you recall my post, I stated that it was time to balance. Education is first, extra-curricular is 2nd. The administration that is there now will continue that, but finally they have opened their eyes to sports after letting it stagnate!

As for Zach Harris - education was farther down the list for moving than it should be.
Can you dig it? Wrote:Dixie, Boone, Ryle and SK have all made decent playoff runs in past years. Not with very much consistency, but enough to not have to hang their heads in shame. Campbell County, OTOH........
yet once they met up with a Lousville school they lost. Be it in the first round or the state finals. The Northern Kentucky 6 A teams have been overrated or a joke what ever you want to call them.
I am going to go out on a limb and predict that Dixie, as poorly as they've played the 1st 3 games, will win the 6A N.Ky district.
horst muhlmann Wrote:I am going to go out on a limb and predict that Dixie, as poorly as they've played the 1st 3 games, will win the 6A N.Ky district.

I'll take Boone.
Elliott's injury is huge to Ryle, but I'm still taking Ryle. Nutter impressed me over the past few years, but was never going to get the number of carries as Elliott or Hempel. I predict Nutter will finish with 800 yards running behind that Raider line and Ryle will still come out on top of the District
Agreed.. Sk & Campbell County are a joke this year... Ryle has lost there only chance of anything special In Elliot. I predict they've added 2 or more losses to there record by losing him. Dixie has suprised me in the fact they've been decent at best and Pike is throwing picks left and right. Boone is 3-0 but then again who have they played. I'd say its a crap shoot who comes out on top in this one. I'd say Ryle has the best chance do to running off pride but it really depends on the kids if they give up on the team without Elliot or if they pull closer together. If they do that we might have an interesting team entering the playoffs this year....
Stardust Wrote:You moved your kids to Ft. Thomas probably at the wrong time. CCHS academics has over the past five years moved into the top 10 percentile in the state. The programs and honors numbers has drastically jumped. When my daughter was starting their 8 years ago, we considered sending her to Brossart of NCC because of the academics. Over the course of her four years, the school board, principals and many old teachers were up-rooted and sent away. Sports received ZERO attention. If you recall my post, I stated that it was time to balance. Education is first, extra-curricular is 2nd. The administration that is there now will continue that, but finally they have opened their eyes to sports after letting it stagnate!

As for Zach Harris - education was farther down the list for moving than it should be.
You're wrong about that. I've know Zach and his family for many, many years and I know that football was not the only reason Zach transferred to Highlands. Yes, he's a great football player but may things were considered before he made the move. CC has bigger issues other than sports. Those issues are exactly why my kid, who was blocking for Zach, also moved to Ft Thomas.
nittanylion Wrote:You're wrong about that. I've know Zach and his family for many, many years and I know that football was not the only reason Zach transferred to Highlands. Yes, he's a great football player but may things were considered before he made the move. CC has bigger issues other than sports. Those issues are exactly why my kid, who was blocking for Zach, also moved to Ft Thomas.

Really, enlighten me! Remember, I'm connected to the program as well as just finishing 8 years of my own children attending there - one a scholar student the other a scholar athlete - both attending college, one playing college athletics!
TNT-MB1 Wrote:Agreed.. Sk & Campbell County are a joke this year... Ryle has lost there only chance of anything special In Elliot. I predict they've added 2 or more losses to there record by losing him. Dixie has suprised me in the fact they've been decent at best and Pike is throwing picks left and right. Boone is 3-0 but then again who have they played. I'd say its a crap shoot who comes out on top in this one. I'd say Ryle has the best chance do to running off pride but it really depends on the kids if they give up on the team without Elliot or if they pull closer together. If they do that we might have an interesting team entering the playoffs this year....

Dixie has looked anything but decent to this point. Pike has very little surrounding him unless you count opposing defensive linemen. With Conner and Boone next on the schedule, we should get a better idea where things stand with the little Colonels. With the exception of Beechwood, they've already played the toughest part of their schedule, so the time to right the ship is now.

Unregistered

Boone Wins it all now that Travis Elliot is injured. We'll know for sure if its gonna happen after this friday!
Can you dig it? Wrote:Dixie has looked anything but decent to this point. Pike has very little surrounding him unless you count opposing defensive linemen. With Conner and Boone next on the schedule, we should get a better idea where things stand with the little Colonels. With the exception of Beechwood, they've already played the toughest part of their schedule, so the time to right the ship is now.

Now that was good!:thatsfunn
Stardust Wrote:You moved your kids to Ft. Thomas probably at the wrong time. CCHS academics has over the past five years moved into the top 10 percentile in the state. The programs and honors numbers has drastically jumped. When my daughter was starting their 8 years ago, we considered sending her to Brossart of NCC because of the academics. Over the course of her four years, the school board, principals and many old teachers were up-rooted and sent away. Sports received ZERO attention. If you recall my post, I stated that it was time to balance. Education is first, extra-curricular is 2nd. The administration that is there now will continue that, but finally they have opened their eyes to sports after letting it stagnate!

Ummmm...Highlands is WAY ahead of CCHS in academics. Take a look at the state rankings...academically....then football...Both beat CCHS by a bunch. HHS is #3 in the state academically and 2, all classes, in football. Zach chose the best fit for him athletically and academically. He made the right choice. :HitWall:
Keyplayer Wrote:Ummmm...Highlands is WAY ahead of CCHS in academics. Take a look at the state rankings...academically....then football...Both beat CCHS by a bunch. HHS is #3 in the state academically and 2, all classes, in football. Zach chose the best fit for him athletically and academically. He made the right choice. :HitWall:

AND, depending on what ranking you look at....HHS is #1 academically. One of the main reasons we moved to Ft. Thomas!! The athletics helped too. :1:
Keyplayer Wrote:Ummmm...Highlands is WAY ahead of CCHS in academics. Take a look at the state rankings...academically....then football...Both beat CCHS by a bunch. HHS is #3 in the state academically and 2, all classes, in football. Zach chose the best fit for him athletically and academically. He made the right choice. :HitWall:

What the hell are you talking about? I never once said CCHS was higher academically? I told another member how it has improved since the time he made his decision. As for Zach, re-read my post and stop making your own conclusions!
Stardust Wrote:What the hell are you talking about? I never once said CCHS was higher academically? I told another member how it has improved since the time he made his decision. As for Zach, re-read my post and stop making your own conclusions!

This forum is all about making conclusions. Stating opinion. I made mine based on your post(s). You made it sound like academics were not important and Zach chose HHS because of football....

"As for Zach Harris - education was farther down the list for moving than it should be.".

How do you know what their decision was based on and where their priorities were? Seems to me that his decision was the right one...Based on academics and sports. Zach is doing very well in school I might add.
^^^ None of this is about Nky 6A :Thumbs:
Iloveyou Wrote:^^^ None of this is about Nky 6A :Thumbs:

You are right. Just had to point out that some should just keep their mouths shut. Particularly when they have no idea what they are talking about...AND no, I am not related to Zach in any way. I am done with that conversation.

As for 6A in NKY: The class of 6A is Trinity. There, in my opinion, will be nobody that will come close to them, particularly in KY. NKY: Dixie will get some wins. Boone will too. SK, well, they are SK. CC has some talent, particularly in the soph class....Bottom line, NKY, 6A, will be competitive against one another....As far as state wide, not even close to the top teams.
I don't think anybody should say what the order was on Harris list but Harris himself. Anything is just speculation. Although I'd venture to say Nittany Lion is a lot closer to the situation than Stardust. I live in Campbells district and when my kids get to high school age, they're both going to Highlands too. I guess I hear that it was sports only too. Face it, it's a better school in all aspects than the other choices in the same county.