Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 1st time in a while North and South Laurel star off 2-0 while corbin starts 0-2.?????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thoughts
Def. a rebuilding year for the Redhounds.
Redhounds start season o-4? Whens the last time that happened?
Dragonsdad Wrote:Redhounds start season o-4? Whens the last time that happened?

They started 0-4 or 0-5 back a few years ago. Maybe 05?
Its happened before at Corbin, and in 03 or 04 NL and SL were both 2-0 or 3-0.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:They started 0-4 or 0-5 back a few years ago. Maybe 05?

As it stands I think they can finish 6-4. But they have to pick up one of the next two to do that. The next two games will tell the tale on'em. They'll either rise up and finish the regular season strong or they'll fold under and if that's the case it could get really bad. They do have a fairly tough schedule.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:They started 0-4 or 0-5 back a few years ago. Maybe 05?
In 2005 Corbin started 0-5
Dragonsdad Wrote:As it stands I think they can finish 6-4. But they have to pick up one of the next two to do that. The next two games will tell the tale on'em. They'll either rise up and finish the regular season strong or they'll fold under and if that's the case it could get really bad. They do have a fairly tough schedule.
I don't think it is unreasonable to think Corbin can finish 6-4 but let's be honest the 10 year streak with no district losses will end this year. I like to see Corbin do good but they are going to have a much tougher road to hoe after spending 10 years in some of the worst regions in the state.
Looking at Norths and Souths schedules. They don't play near as tough a schedule as corbin. North and South should only lose 1 or 2 games this year. Their schedules r weak
Southern Ky AAU Wrote:Looking at Norths and Souths schedules. They don't play near as tough a schedule as corbin. North and South should only lose 1 or 2 games this year. Their schedules r weak

:please:

Corbin plays Danville, Bell Co, and Harlan which should be losses . Outside of that they have the same basic schedule as North and South Laurel.

North and South both play Pulaski, Southwestern, and Russell Co. They have about as much chance winning any of these three games as Corbin does the three above (minimal).

North and South may have 2 or 3 more wins on the schedules, but that's about it. I don't think any of these three teams will finish better than 5-5 this year, and a 4-6 for Corbin may be as good as a 5-5 for the others.
Corbin plays South on 9/16 we will see who is better then. Let me go ahead and predict a Corbin victory. South just came off a terrible season they needed some easy games on the schedule to get some wins under their belt.
Accordinng to the sentinal echo in Laurel county, this is the first time in history both north and south have started 2-0 in the same year

Unregistered

laker20 Wrote::please:

Corbin plays Danville, Bell Co, and Harlan which should be losses . Outside of that they have the same basic schedule as North and South Laurel.

North and South both play Pulaski, Southwestern, and Russell Co. They have about as much chance winning any of these three games as Corbin does the three above (minimal).

North and South may have 2 or 3 more wins on the schedules, but that's about it. I don't think any of these three teams will finish better than 5-5 this year, and a 4-6 for Corbin may be as good as a 5-5 for the others.
why
South & North Laurel are 5a schools that have beaten 1a schools, Corbin is a 3a school that has lost to 5a schools.
Unregistered Wrote:why
South & North Laurel are 5a schools that have beaten 1a schools, Corbin is a 3a school that has lost to 5a schools.

Why what?

My reply was to the statement "North and South should only lose 1 or 2 games this year" because their schedules are weak. Yes their first two games were weak, but my point was that they will have several losses (or few wins) over the next 8 games. Corbin has a cupcake or two on their schedule as well, but has a tougher schedule overall. I would expect North and South to finish 5-5 at best and Corbin to finish 4-6. IMO Corbin at 4-6 will have had a more successful year than NL & SL at 5-5 because they play 'up' more frequently.
Southern Ky AAU Wrote:Looking at Norths and Souths schedules. They don't play near as tough a schedule as corbin. North and South should only lose 1 or 2 games this year. Their schedules r weak

To defend Coach Welch and Larkey, what has either team really ever accomplished? Nothing from what I have heard, so does being a 5A school mean you have to be good adn automatically beat smaller schools. I am sure there are some smaller schools that can beat Corbin. Why should SL and NL have to play the ultimate tough schedule every year, Rockcastle has played some pretty easy teams so far this year, we beat Sheldon Clark and frankfort, both smaller than us. Seems Corbin is mad because they dont have an easy schedule like they used to have.

Unregistered

laker20 Wrote::please:

The point of the argument isn't overall strength of schedule. The point is a poster is trying to portray north and south as getting off to good starts. A 5A program beating two opponents from 1A is not a bad thing but definitely nothing to try to slight the hounds over.
former Wrote:To defend Coach Welch and Larkey, what has either team really ever accomplished? Nothing from what I have heard, so does being a 5A school mean you have to be good adn automatically beat smaller schools. I am sure there are some smaller schools that can beat Corbin. Why should SL and NL have to play the ultimate tough schedule every year, Rockcastle has played some pretty easy teams so far this year, we beat Sheldon Clark and frankfort, both smaller than us. Seems Corbin is mad because they dont have an easy schedule like they used to have.

I agree 100%. Any school trying to rebuild (or build) a program should have some opportunities to win on the schedule. Winning is fun and athletes want to take part in fun. There is nothing more demorilizing than for a kid (or a program) to have to sit through loss after loss. Afterall, the guys playing on the loosing team play just as hard as those kids winning....their team just comes up short for one reason or another. If NL or SL go 5-5 or better, no one will care who the 5 wins were against, only that they improved. I think they would consider it a successful step towards climbing the stairs of building the program.

Unregistered

former Wrote:To defend Coach Welch and Larkey, what has either team really ever accomplished? Nothing from what I have heard, so does being a 5A school mean you have to be good adn automatically beat smaller schools. I am sure there are some smaller schools that can beat Corbin. Why should SL and NL have to play the ultimate tough schedule every year, Rockcastle has played some pretty easy teams so far this year, we beat Sheldon Clark and frankfort, both smaller than us. Seems Corbin is mad because they dont have an easy schedule like they used to have.

Corbin's schedule is a little more difficult this year, but I haven't heard any of their fans complaining about it, most prefer a difficult schedule. If you look back at maxpreps strength of team's schedules over the past few years, you will see that Corbin actually plays one of their classes 10 toughest schedules almost every year.

I could care less who South and North Laurel play, but South beating Lynn Camp and Pineville does not seem like much to brag about.....
Unregistered Wrote:I could care less who South and North Laurel play, but South beating Lynn Camp and Pineville does not seem like much to brag about.....

Considering where they've come from, it's a start. And it's got to be closer to earning bragging rights that two losses to GRC and Karns, TN.