Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell 35 Greenup County 14
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
On the KHSAA website realignment totals, Greenup County has more male students than Ashland, Johnson Central, Boyd County, Rowan County etc. What it comes down to and always has are male students at GC just choose not to participate for various reasons and it just isn't football, it's all school activities. Alot of it is geography. Its always been this way even when i was there in the 80's. When it had the big student enrollment, this was hidden to some extent, but now that its 1/3 smaller, it shows up. Sports like basketball can get by but those that demand numbers will always struggle.
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:I talked to my good friend from Ironton tonight and this is what he said.

The Tigers have size.Three guys close to or over 300 pounds
A 200 plus pound back that reminded him of a young Jim Brown
A defense that might be one of the best his team has had in a while
More team speed then he has seen in a while

Ironton has two listed at over 300 pounds.
The back you are referring to is listed at 6'3" and 220 pounds.
Half a dozen or so speedy backs.
Thats right, we are going to beat your Rams, because they are not Ram tough, and you are very small everywhere, can't wait till that game and get to listen to all your excuses why you lost, lol
Steelermatt Wrote:On the KHSAA website realignment totals, Greenup County has more male students than Ashland, Johnson Central, Boyd County, Rowan County etc. What it comes down to and always has are male students at GC just choose not to participate for various reasons and it just isn't football, it's all school activities. Alot of it is geography. Its always been this way even when i was there in the 80's. When it had the big student enrollment, this was hidden to some extent, but now that its 1/3 smaller, it shows up. Sports like basketball can get by but those that demand numbers will always struggle.

I have thought about what you are talking about several times. I wondered why they didn't go the same route say as E and W Carter.
old warrior Wrote:Thats right, we are going to beat your Rams, because they are not Ram tough, and you are very small everywhere, can't wait till that game and get to listen to all your excuses why you lost, lol

OLD WARRIOR I think you are right. We are small, inexperienced, and we don't have a chance. But we will show up and play the mighty muskies!!
And your right I can't wait to see this game. :igiveup:

Note: You better hope you win!!
FBALL Wrote:Your wrong on this one. Greenup has a much harder time getting kids out. Ashland is a city school with a traditional following. Greenup County, even though in existance since the mid 1970s, is still very much a fractured school system. South Shore, Wurtland, Load, Oldtown, it is wide spread and still very factioned. Then there is the simple geography of it. Some of these kids spend all most as much time on buses as they do in the classroom. Yes they have the athletes but there is an array of problems that Ashland or Russell or Raceland just don't have.

I got a little curious about what you are saying about the size of county and not getting kids out to play. So I looked up the sizes of the counties.
Here is a list of a few that are larger then Greenup Co. but still have very good football programs;
Greenup Co is 346 square miles:

Shelby Co 384 sq mi
Pike Co 788 sq mi****
Perry Co 342 sq mi****
Madison Co 441*****
Lawrence Co 419****
Knott Co 352*****
Hardin Co 628**** Two high schools but still over 300 sq mi for the two.
Crittenden Co 362****
Christian Co 721****
Breathitt Co 395****
Bell Co 361****
Barren Co 491
Adair Co 407
Barren Co 491
Clay Co 471
There are more!! Most of these have lots of success
Proud Ram Fan 1168 Wrote:I got a little curious about what you are saying about the size of county and not getting kids out to play. So I looked up the sizes of the counties.
Here is a list of a few that are larger then Greenup Co. but still have very good football programs;

Shelby Co 384 sq mi
Pike Co 788 sq mi****
Perry Co 342 sq mi****
Madison Co 441*****
Lawrence Co 419****
Knott Co 352*****
Crittenden Co 362****
Christian Co 721****
Breathitt Co 395****
Bell Co 361****
Barren Co 491
Adair Co 407
Barren Co 491
Clay Co 471
Pike County has 6 High Schools, if you include Pikeville.
Proud Ram Fan 1168 Wrote:I got a little curious about what you are saying about the size of county and not getting kids out to play. So I looked up the sizes of the counties.

Shelby Co 384 sq mi
Pike Co 788 sq mi****
Perry Co 342 sq mi****
Madison Co 441*****
Lawrence Co 419****
Knott Co 352*****
Crittenden Co 362****
Christian Co 721****
Breathitt Co 395****
Bell Co 361****
Barren Co 491
Adair Co 407
Barren Co 491
Clay Co 471

While size is somewhat of a factor, it is only a small part of it. For alot of the male students in Greenup County, they just do not want to participate in anything athletic related. If you took the total number of males that participate in any school athletic activities, it would be a very small percentage when compared to the total number of males available. Even with those low numbers you have alot of multi sport kids which makes the ratio even worse. This is just the way its always been.

Part of it is possibly factions within the county developed years ago. Alot of it is families just don't care thus the kids just don't care. They don't take their small kids to high school games and instill that dream of playing. The families that do this are in the minority unlike other close knit communities. I have no idea what the solution is or even if there is one.

Shelby Co 384 sq mi
Pike Co 788 sq mi****
Perry Co 342 sq mi****
Madison Co 441*****
Lawrence Co 419****
Knott Co 352*****
Crittenden Co 362****
Christian Co 721****
Breathitt Co 395****
Bell Co 361****
Barren Co 491
Adair Co 407
Barren Co 491
Clay Co 471

Greenup County is 346 square miles but you do have 3 high school plus the small private school down on the South Portsmouth end of Greenup County.
Have you ever driven some of the back roads in GC? I said Geography is a part of it. Greenup County has bigger rivals within it's school system than it does with Russell or Raceland. I've coached there. It's a different world from Raceland and Russell. You'll just have to take my word on that.
Now, go research on the amount of bus route for those counties. I think you'll see the logistic problem that fball speaks about.
This game went the way I thought it would. Devils started out slow but came out strong in the second half. I don't like them having the first week open but I guess that's the way it goes.
Get us while you can because after this year GC won't see the win column for at least 6 or 7 years after that.
Steelermatt Wrote:While size is somewhat of a factor, it is only a small part of it. For alot of the male students in Greenup County, they just do not want to participate in anything athletic related. If you took the total number of males that participate in any school athletic activities, it would be a very small percentage when compared to the total number of males available. Even with those low numbers you have alot of multi sport kids which makes the ratio even worse. This is just the way its always been.

Part of it is possibly factions within the county developed years ago. Alot of it is families just don't care thus the kids just don't care. They don't take their small kids to high school games and instill that dream of playing. The families that do this are in the minority unlike other close knit communities. I have no idea what the solution is or even if there is one.

Some funny stuff here.. Size matters! Bad roads! Even though GC has more male students then most schools in the east. excuse after......Im ouy of here!!
Proud Ram Fan 1168 Wrote:Some funny stuff here.. Size matters! Bad roads! Even though GC has more male students then most schools in the east. excuse after......Im ouy of here!!

Get your head out of the sand. Take a drive around Greenup Country and you will understand. Life is rough.
Jeepman Wrote:Get your head out of the sand. Take a drive around Greenup Country and you will understand. Life is rough.

That would be mud in Greenup Co!!

I guess Pike Co, Harlan Co, Johnson Co, Bell Co ect... all have super highways for their county roads!
old warrior Wrote:Thats right, we are going to beat your Rams, because they are not Ram tough, and you are very small everywhere, can't wait till that game and get to listen to all your excuses why you lost, lol

Stay off the crack old warrior. Have you been checked for dementia?
Greenup has alot of problems. Geography is part of it. Not all but part.

Old Warrior Greenup Co high population is: 986 students, 51% male = 503 males. And that is 9th grade through 12th
Raceland Worthington high: 452 students = 241 male. 7th grade through 12th. You more then double the male pouplation with four grades while Raceland is counting 7 thru 12. = 6 grades.
What do you think should happen everytime we play?
But I do understand you have to climb over mountains, walk through the cow pastures and snow storms to make it to practice. So that hurts your game. So I guess it's all even!!
Greenup doesn't have the same percentage of male players playing football as Raceland. We are a 4a school with a 1a size team.
Proud Ram Fan 1168 Wrote:OLD WARRIOR I think you are right. We are small, inexperienced, and we don't have a chance. But we will show up and play the mighty muskies!!
And your right I can't wait to see this game. :igiveup:

Note: You better hope you win!!
I am sure it will be a good game whoever wins, but with you all taking on pikeville panthers team on the road, on turf, and in the heat, hope no one gets hurt tonight, so the Rams will be at full strength, with having 2 weeks now to get ready, the Muskies should be ready for the game.
Pages: 1 2